Lets Talk Metal
Aug 14, 2014 at 2:26 PM Post #15,977 of 29,653
Or they got a different engineer to do it. And frankly, given Zach's releases, that doesn't surprise me. The man loves his compression.

I'm gonna be honest here. It's cool that he is open to releasing different versions of material, but his work is either underwhelming or deplorable.

Aug 14, 2014 at 4:41 PM Post #15,978 of 29,653
Billy Anderson did Demon Lung's debut album and just finished their newest one. I'm friends with the band and they absolutely adore Billy and wouldn't want to work with anyone else. I honestly thought that this album was one of the best doom albums of last year, plus they are incredible live.

Aug 14, 2014 at 4:53 PM Post #15,979 of 29,653
  Billy Anderson did Demon Lung's debut album and just finished their newest one. I'm friends with the band and they absolutely adore Billy and wouldn't want to work with anyone else. I honestly thought that this album was one of the best doom albums of last year, plus they are incredible live.

this one flew under the radar a bit (or so it seems...maybe it was all over social media but i don't play that game), which is unfortunate because I love it and it's one of my favorite straight up doom albums in a very long time and also one of my favorite female fronted metal acts ever.

fantastic album and not badly recorded either.

Aug 14, 2014 at 9:02 PM Post #15,981 of 29,653
I was surprised to see that there is a new Revocation track out. Even more surprised to see that a new full-length release is coming this year.

Their last one was IMO mediocre at best. Hopefully this is better. I really don't know what happened on their self-titled record.

Aug 14, 2014 at 9:41 PM Post #15,982 of 29,653
http://www.audiostream.com/content/avsaix-high-resolution-audio-test

The problem I have with this article is when you add varying bitrates to foobar's ABX, there is a delay when switching resolutions. So if you have one res playing and you select the correct one, there is no delay, but if you select the wrong one there is a hiccup. Just try it

Aug 14, 2014 at 9:49 PM Post #15,983 of 29,653
Let's try again

That's basically the greatest metal album to come out in the last 5 years. lol Morbid Reich rules!!!!!!!!!!!!! The issue is now if you go back into Vader's old stuff it will be consistent but a little anticlimactic.

If anyone gets Hypocrisy albums................. 
Get the original release of Catch 22 not Catch 22 .20 Catch 22 is the most hated Hypocrisy album due to an almost change in genre. Most on this thread love it though, maybe because the original sounds so good. It in not Numetal like the haters insist on.

Also the greatest hits was released re-recorded in 2001. I personally like it but I'm perfectly sure that we have purists in the thread that will only want the original recordings.

Catch 22

One of the first videos, I don't remember it sounding this good?

Greatest hits re-recorded in better sound.

Also great sound.

The most important aspect of the bands leader Peter Tagtgren, is besides Hypocrisy he has had a huge influence recording and producing albums like Marduk's Glorification 1996, Marduk's  Heaven Shall Burn....When We Are Gathered 1996. Dimmu Borgir's Enthrone Darkness Triumphant 1997 and one of my faves, Dark Funeral's Vobiscum Satanas 1998.

EDIT:
http://www.hypocrisy.cc/home/discography/

Went to official web site and found out only six songs on the album rerecorded.

This is maybe because the songs re-recorded were old and the other songs had a nice  quality to them?

10 Years of Chaos and Confusion (2001)
1. Penetralia (re-recorded)
2. The Fourth Dimension (re-recorded)
3. Osculum Obscenum (re-recorded)

4. Apocalypse (re-recorded)
5. Killing Art
6. Deathrow (No Regrets)
7. Left to Rot (re-recorded)
8. Until the End
9. Pleasure of Molestation (re-recorded)
10. A Coming Race
11. Fractured Millennium
12. Roswell 47
13. Fire in the Sky
14. The Final Chapter
CD2 for limited edition boxset:
1. God is a Lie
2. Suffering Souls
3. To Escape is to Die
4. Nightmare
5. Left to Rot
6. Suffering Souls
7. God is a Lie
8. To Escape is to Die
9. Turn the Page

Aug 14, 2014 at 11:34 PM Post #15,985 of 29,653
  The most important aspect of the bands leader Peter Tagtgren, is besides Hypocrisy he has had a huge influence recording and producing albums like Marduk's Glorification 1996, Marduk's  Heaven Shall Burn....When We Are Gathered 1996. Dimmu Borgir's Enthrone Darkness Triumphant 1997 and one of my faves, Dark Funeral's Vobiscum Satanas 1998.

Has anyone else noticed that Dimmu Borgir's Enthrone Darkness Triumphant and In Flames' Whoracle albums have very similar production?

Aug 15, 2014 at 12:18 AM Post #15,987 of 29,653

Has anyone else noticed that Dimmu Borgir's Enthrone Darkness Triumphant and In Flames' Whoracle albums have very similar production?

From memory they do sound the same (Enthrone Darkness Triumphantand Whoracle) . Still I think you could tell more if you had the vinyl. The CDs do sound the same. They were released at the same time in 1997.

Edit:

http://www.hypocrisy.cc/home/discography/

Only 6 songs re-recorded on 2001 greatest hits CD by Hypocrisy. I guess I did not notice due to the other songs sounding good. I also would guess that maybe Nuclear Blast used the re-recorded song for the video of " Left To Rot". Laugh!

The original video did not sound like that. I'm too lazy to go find my original DVD of the video but I would bet money that Nuclear Blast pasted the re-recording onto the original video release at their You- tube web site? Maybe the video just has the remaster of the album. Funny because their is an add when the video starts to click to buy the original CD directly from Nuclear Blast. You would think you would get the same recording of the song?

hop.nuclearblast.com/en/products/sound/cd/2cd-digi/hypocrisy-penetralia-osculum-obscenum-2cd-digi-remastered-.html
The Swedish death metal band HYPOCRISY was formed by Peter Tägtgren in 1990 upon his return to Sweden from Florida, where he had been inspired by the state's flourishing death metal scene (bands like Morbid Angel, Deicide, Death, and Obituary). In 1992 the band signed its first contract with Nuclear Blast Records and released its monumental debut “Penetralia”. It marks the only time that the band functioned as a five-piece. This album displays a strong influence from American Death Metal. The follow-up “Osculum Obscenum” (1993) marked another milestone in the history of crushing extreme death metal. This album is evil and dark Black/Death Metal the way it should be. When compared to other Death Metal albums of the same period, this absolutely kills nearly everything. Eerie guitar work, Hellish screams, epic riffs... Over the course of the release of HYPOCRISY’s overwhelmingly acclaimed new album “End Of Disclosure” on the 22th of March 2013, the decision was made to re-release these classic albums, remastered and enriched with extensive bonus material:

EDIT:

OK, well I figured it out.

The video I have with the crappy but brutal sound is the demo version. Laugh! Why they would release a demo with the video?This must maybe be how the video was originally released. Still I think it is not the demo on the Nuclear Blast web site?

http://shop.nuclearblast.com/en/products/sound/dvd-bluray/dvd/various-artists-dvd-death-is-just-the-beginning-vi.html

1. Crematory - The Fallen
2. Stratovarius - Hunting High & Low
3. Hammerfall - Renegade
4. Primal Fear - Angel In Black
5. Theatre of Tragedy - Image
6. In Flames - Pinball Map
7. Children of Bodom - Everytime I Die
8. To/Die/For - In the Heat of the Night
9. Pro Pain - Substance
10. Sinergy - Midnight Madness
11. S.O.D. - Kill Yourself
12. Danzig - Five Finger Crawl
13. The Black League - Winter Winds Sing
14. In Flames - Ordinary Story
15. To/Die/For - Farewell
16. Die Toten Hosen - Pushed Again
Classic Series Bonus Clips
1. Kataklysm - The Awakener
2. Dismember - Casket Garden
3. Benediction - The Grotesque
4. Hypocrisy - Left to Rot (DEMO version)

Credits for Fredman Studio
    Architects - Lost Forever // Lost Together

Amon Amarth - Versus the World
    Arch Enemy - Black Earth, Burning Bridges, Rise of the Tyrant, Stigmata & Wages of Sin
    Armageddon - Crossing the Rubicon
    Arkan - Salam
    At the Gates - Terminal Spirit Disease & Slaughter of the Soul
    At The Skylines - The Secrets To Life
    Anthelion – Bloodshed Rebefallen
    Beyond Shadows - Beyond Shadows
    Bring Me the Horizon - Suicide Season & There Is a Hell, Believe Me I've Seen It. There Is a Heaven, Let's Keep It a Secret.
    Ceremonial Oath - The Book of Truth
    Cripple Bastards - Variante alla morte, Nero in metastasi
    Dark Tranquillity - Character (Drums), Enter Suicidal Angels, Damage Done, Fiction (Drums), Haven, Of Chaos and Eternal Night (3/4, other Track Recorded, Elsewhere), Projector, The Gallery & The Mind's I
    Darkest Hour - Hidden Hands of a Sadist Nation
    Dimension Zero - Penetrations from the Lost World
    Dimmu Borgir - Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia, Death Cult Armageddon & In Sorte Diaboli
    Embraced - Amorous Anathema
    Firewind - The Premonition
    Gardenian - Two Feet Stand
    HammerFall - Glory to the Brave, Legacy of Kings
    In Flames - Clayman, Colony, Lunar Strain, Subterranean, The Jester Race, Whoracle & A Sense of Purpose
    Miasmal - Cursed Redeemer
    Myrath - Tales of the Sands
    Nightrage - Sweet Vengeance, Descent into Chaos, Wearing A Martyr's Crown, Insidious
    NightShade - Lost In Motion
    Nervosia - Apathy's Throne
    Old Man's Child - Slaves of the World
    Opeth - Blackwater Park, Damnation (1/3, other Parts Recorded, Elsewhere), Deliverance (1/2, other half Recorded, Elsewhere), My Arms, Your Hearse, Still Life (1/2, other half Recorded, Elsewhere)
    Passenger - Passenger
    Rockslaget 1996 - Various artists.
    Sacrilege - Lost in the Beauty You Slay
    Septic Flesh - Communion, Sumerian Daemons, Revolution DNA
    Soilwork - A Predator's Portrait, Figure Number Five (Vocals & Bass), Natural Born Chaos, Steelbath Suicide & The Chainheart Machine
    Splitter - En Sorglig Historia
    The Haunted - The Haunted
    The Hollow Earth Theory - Rise of Agartha
    Breed of Burden - The World is Sick

Production Credits for Peter Tagtgren
    The Abyss - The Other Side (1995)
    Naglfar - Vittra (1995)
    Death Organ - 9 to 5 (1995)
    Dark Funeral - The Secrets of the Black Arts (1996)
    Fleshcrawl - Bloodsoul (1996)
    Hypocrisy - Abducted (1996)
    The Abyss - Summon the Beast (1996)
    Setherial - Nord (1996)
    Marduk - Heaven Shall Burn... When We Are Gathered (1996)
    Marduk - Glorification (1996)
    Pain - Pain (1997)
    Dimmu Borgir - Enthrone Darkness Triumphant (1997)
    Marduk - Live in Germania (1997)
    Fleshcrawl - Bloodred Massacre (1997)
    Hypocrisy - The Final Chapter (1997)
    Abruptum - Vi Sonus Veris Nigrae Malitiaes (1997)
    Therion - A'arab Zaraq - Lucid Dreaming (1997)
    War - Total War (1997)
    Dark Funeral - Vobiscum Satanas (1998)
    Amon Amarth - Once Sent from the Golden Hall (1998)
    Dimmu Borgir - Godless Savage Garden (1998)
    Marduk - Nightwing (1998)
    Dispatched - Promised Land (1998)
    Love Like Blood - Snakekiller (1998)
    Love Like Blood - The Love Like Blood E.P. (1998)
    Enslaved - Blodhemn (1998)
    Raise Hell - Holy Target (1998)
    Thyrfing - Valdr Galga (1999)
    Hypocrisy - Hypocrisy (1999)
    Immortal - At the Heart of Winter (1999)
    Dimmu Borgir - Spiritual Black Dimensions (1999)
    War - We Are... Total War (1999)
    Marduk - Panzer Division Marduk (1999)
    PAIN - Rebirth (1999)
    Amon Amarth - The Avenger (1999)
    Borknagar - Quintessence (2000)
    Children of Bodom - Follow the Reaper (2000)
    Dark Funeral - Teach Children to Worship Satan (2000)
    Destruction - All Hell Breaks Loose (2000)
    Dispatched - Motherwar (2000)
    Dark Funeral - In the Sign... (2000)
    Old Man's Child - Revelation 666 - The Curse of Damnation (2000)
    Hypocrisy - Into the Abyss (2000)
    Immortal - Damned in Black (2000)
    Rotting Christ - Khronos (2000)
    Neglected Fields - Mephisto Lettonica (2000)
    Enslaved - Mardraum - Beyond the Within (2000)
    Gardenian - Sindustries (2000)
    Susperia - Predominance (2001)
    Marduk - La Grande Danse Macabre (2001)
    Amon Amarth - The Crusher (2001)
    Destruction - The Antichrist (2001)
    Dark Funeral - Diabolis Interium (2001)
    Immortal - Sons of Northern Darkness (2002)
    Hypocrisy - Catch 22 (2002)
    Susperia - Vindication (2002)
    PAIN - Nothing Remains the Same (2002)
    Shining - Angst, självdestruktivitetens emissarie (2002)
    Marduk - World Funeral (2003)
    Grimfist - Ghouls of Grandeur (2003)
    Forgotten Tomb - Springtime Depression (2003)
    Hypocrisy - The Arrival (2004)
    Maryslim - Split Vision (2004)
    Grave - Fiendish Regression (2004)
    PAIN - Dancing with the Dead (2005)
    Destruction - Inventor of Evil (2005)
    Hypocrisy - Virus (2005)
    Dimmu Borgir - Stormblåst MMV (2005)
    Celtic Frost - Monotheist (2006)
    Grave - As Rapture Comes (2006)
    Noctiferia - Slovenska Morbida (2006)
    PAIN - Psalms of Extinction (2007)
    Maryslim - A Perfect Mess (2007)
    Children of Bodom - Blooddrunk (2008)
    Hypocrisy - Catch 22 V2.0.08 (2008)
    PAIN - Cynic Paradise (2008)
    Sanctification - Black Reign (2008)
    Sabaton - The Art of War (2008)
    Tarja - The Seer EP (2008)
    Immortal - All Shall Fall (2009)
    Hypocrisy - A Taste of Extreme Divinity (2009)
    Dark Funeral - Angelus Exuro pro Eternus (2009)
    Sabaton - Coat Of Arms (2010)
    Overkill - Ironbound (2010)
    Noctiferia - Death Culture (2010)
    Immortal - The Seventh Date of Blashyrkh (2010)
    Abigail Williams - In the Absence of Light (2011)
    Belphegor - Blood Magick Necromance (2011)
    Legion of the Damned - Descent into Chaos (2011)
    Kampfar - Mare (2011)
    The Unguided - Nightmareland (EP) (2011)
    Loudblast - Frozen Moments Between Life And Death (2011)
    Septicflesh - The Great Mass (2011)
    PAIN - You Only Live Twice (2011)
    Heidevolk - Batavi (2012)
    Carnalation - Deathmask (2012)
    Essence - Last Night Of Solace (2012)
    Sabaton - Carolus Rex (2012)
    Amorphis - Circle (2013)
    Children Of Bodom - Halo of Blood (2013)
    Hypocrisy - End of Disclosure (2013)
    Sabaton - Heroes (2014)

Aug 15, 2014 at 12:29 AM Post #15,988 of 29,653
  From memory they do sound the same. Still I think you could tell more if you had the vinyl. The CDs do sound the same. They were released at the same time in 1997.

I've pondered this paradox for some time: if compact discs can easily handle the full dynamic range of modern recordings, and if the studio masters of said recordings are in a digital format, why is it that so many praise vinyl as the superior format? Furthermore, which format is more faithful to the master? I would imagine the CD should be, as the transfer of data is done digitally. Does vinyl color the sound, making it more pleasant? These are but a few questions that come to mind.

Aug 15, 2014 at 2:01 AM Post #15,989 of 29,653

I've pondered this paradox for some time: if compact discs can easily handle the full dynamic range of modern recordings, and if the studio masters of said recordings are in a digital format, why is it that so many praise vinyl as the superior format? Furthermore, which format is more faithful to the master? I would imagine the CD should be, as the transfer of data is done digitally. Does vinyl color the sound, making it more pleasant? These are but a few questions that come to mind.

The last 5 years have especially had the vinyl VS CD discussion at Head-Fi. I have no answer. Seems some albums sound better on vinyl and some on CD. To ponder it, I have come to the conclusion that I like color. Still I feel it is more than that.

At times the vinyl sounds more natural, at times more clear with the instruments in all the right places. The CDs sound thin. Still there can never be a generalization as each music LP release is it's own animal.

Some vinyl purchases have been a grave let down sounding worse than their CD counterparts and some a wonderful surprise. I feel though that Enthrone Darkness Triumphant and Whoracle could be better compared just because it was in 1997 when they came out. Still a guess on my part. But ya, I have a tendency to think vinyl from that era sounds way better, just my opinion though.

It really does not matter unless a listener is seriously looking for the best vinyl releases. I have the 1986 release of Master Of Puppets (purchased late February, 1986), it's the best release. Still digitally there is a digital download of a 24bit/96kHz download of that exact first pressing and it sounds better than the CD to me. Is it color? I don't know and am way past caring what it truly is. I just go by what my ears tell me.

Aug 15, 2014 at 8:37 AM Post #15,990 of 29,653

Because most CDs are compressed in an effort to make them as loud as possible. Check out this. You can theoretically make louder masters on digital than vinyl. It really is that simple.

Without the Loudness War, CDs/digital format would almost always sound better IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back