Lets Talk Metal
Jul 23, 2014 at 1:47 AM Post #15,406 of 29,661
  I never really cared for August Burns Red, even in my christian days. Alchemist mentioned Zao which is unbelievable (and held on a pedestal in the metal-core scene)

metal-core =/= metalcore, yes that sounds stupid but it's true.

My metal knowledge is too narrow and limited. I always feel like a noob on this thread. Makes it hard to try to engage in meaningful discussion when seemingly everything I enjoy is no good and everything that is good I do not enjoy (Zao, for instance). I have to be content with the fact that I just like bad music, I guess =/ I am open to trying new stuff though!

Jul 23, 2014 at 1:54 AM Post #15,408 of 29,661
  I never really cared for August Burns Red, even in my christian days. Alchemist mentioned Zao which is unbelievable (and held on a pedestal in the metal-core scene)

metal-core =/= metalcore, yes that sounds stupid but it's true.

In what sense is this unbelievable? I only mentioned Zao because they are a well-known metalcore band, and August Burns Red is also metalcore. I hadn't heard ABR until after the fact.

My metal knowledge is too narrow and limited. I always feel like a noob on this thread. Makes it hard to try to engage in meaningful discussion when seemingly everything I enjoy is no good and everything that is good I do not enjoy (Zao, for instance). I have to be content with the fact that I just like bad music, I guess =/ I am open to trying new stuff though!

I love nearly all music, but some bands are more amazing than others. I list some of my favorite metal bands here.

Jul 23, 2014 at 2:03 AM Post #15,410 of 29,661
I do somewhat like The Chariot, though I tend toward more melodic stuff. A friend introduced me to Converge, and again, I can appreciate it but it's not something I reach for very often. Shai Hulud I'll have to try; haven't heard of them. The Agony Scene I actually do really like, I have that album.

In what sense is this unbelievable? I only mentioned Zao because they are a well-known metalcore band, and August Burns Red is also metalcore. I hadn't heard ABR until after the fact.

I love nearly all music, but some bands are more amazing than others. I list some of my favorite metal bands here.

That's a huge list to parse through! I'll have to try some of those bands out... I'm actually surprised to see Extol on there. I've never talked to someone else who likes Extol. Makes me feel weird...seeing as they're my favorite band. How do you like the new album?

Jul 23, 2014 at 2:14 AM Post #15,411 of 29,661
  I do somewhat like The Chariot, though I tend toward more melodic stuff. A friend introduced me to Converge, and again, I can appreciate it but it's not something I reach for very often. Shai Hulud I'll have to try; haven't heard of them. The Agony Scene I actually do really like, I have that album.

That's a huge list to parse through! I'll have to try some of those bands out... I'm actually surprised to see Extol on there. I've never talked to someone else who likes Extol. Makes me feel weird...seeing as they're my favorite band. How do you like the new album?

I haven't listened to Extol in forever. All I know is that I like their older, heavier stuff more.

You may find the lineup of Lengsel interesting.
wink_face.gif

In Flames is my favorite band. Their mid-to-late-'90s material is mandatory.

Jul 23, 2014 at 2:27 AM Post #15,413 of 29,661

I haven't listened to Extol in forever. All I know is that I like their older, heavier stuff more.

You may find the lineup of Lengsel interesting.
wink_face.gif

In Flames is my favorite band. Their mid-to-late-'90s material is mandatory.

Never heard of Lengsel, but great suggestion! This is very much up my alley. It's a shame the production quality is so bad :frowning2:

But wow...only halfway through "Revival" and this is incredible. Thanks for this find! Very interested in similar bands!

Edit: Oh, lol I see. The lineup :wink:

Jul 23, 2014 at 2:35 AM Post #15,414 of 29,661
In the vein of Lengsel....

Jul 23, 2014 at 3:50 AM Post #15,415 of 29,661
  Yay, I love In Flames! My top three favorite metal bands are Extol, In Flames, and Killswitch Engage, in that order. And I agree, In Flames older melodic death material is where it's at.

I'm listening to Dark Tranquillity at the moment.

I saw Killswitch Engage and In Flames together in concert in 2004. I was bummed that In Flames seemed to be last in the order, so sat down at the bar...but then "Pinball Map" started playing and I flipped out and ran into the mosh pit! I met Jesper that day. He signed my shirt. Later on, he was hanging out in the audience bobbing his head to Killswitch Engage, haha.

Never heard of Lengsel, but great suggestion! This is very much up my alley. It's a shame the production quality is so bad :frowning2:

But wow...only halfway through "Revival" and this is incredible. Thanks for this find! Very interested in similar bands!

Edit: Oh, lol I see. The lineup :wink:

Solace is one of my top ten favorite black metal albums, along with Antaeus' three full-length releases and Limbonic Art's Ad Noctum - Dynasty Of Death.

As for metalcore, Zao's Liberate Te Ex Inferis and (Self-Titled) are worth hearing at least once.

In the vein of Lengsel....

...Have I found someone who knows more metal bands than I do?
eek.gif

Jul 23, 2014 at 4:04 AM Post #15,416 of 29,661
Jul 23, 2014 at 4:41 AM Post #15,417 of 29,661
Hello and welcome to the thread!

Since you seem to enjoy Metalcore, try some Between the Buried and Me!
Kind of Metalcore-ish but so so much more ♥

Jul 23, 2014 at 7:37 AM Post #15,418 of 29,661
Jul 23, 2014 at 7:45 AM Post #15,419 of 29,661

Metal attracts a wide swath. No rules! I remember you well....we used to banter about Grado  HP's. Shoot, as one of the Sr's here, when I finally started listening to extreme metal, I had a steady diet of my old NWOBHM, 80's thrash and 90's alternative.

I'm sure there's people who listen to nothing but power metal. I grow restless quickly and always need to mix things up.

"Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law"

Aleister Crowley
evil_smiley.gif

Jul 23, 2014 at 10:16 AM Post #15,420 of 29,661

"Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law"

Aleister Crowley
evil_smiley.gif

I prefer:

"If the crap fits, wear it! Now scoot over, god dammit!"

-Donald "Duck" Dunn, Bassist for The Blues Brothers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back