Lets Talk Metal
Jul 16, 2014 at 8:47 PM Post #15,226 of 29,646
At least half of what I listen to is metal - including just about every sub-genre and related genre. My favorites are melodic death metal and black metal.

Since I'm new to the thread, here is a list of many of the metal bands I like.

Although it contains mostly extreme metal bands, there are also a few hard rock / alternative metal type of bands that may not qualify as "true" metal. You can click on each band's name to learn more about them.

Abigor, Absu, Agalloch, AgathodaimonAgoraphobic Nosebleed, Ajattara, Akercocke, Alas, Amestigon, Amon Amarth, Amorphis, And Oceans, Anorexia Nervosa, Antaeus, Aosoth, Arch Enemy, Arcturus, Astrofaes, At The Gates, Averse Sefira, Azrael, Bathory, Behemoth, Borknagar, Burzum, Children Of Bodom, Chimaira, Converge, Cradle Of Filth, Cryptopsy, Dark Fortress, Dark Funeral, Dark Tranquillity, Darkthrone, Deathspell Omega, Deftones, Demoncy, DHG (Dødheimsgard), The Dillinger Escape Plan, Dimension F3H, Dimension Zero, Dimensional Psychosis, Dimmu Borgir, Disarmonia Mundi, Dissection, Dominion III, Dragonlord, Drudkh, Emperor, Enslaved, Esoteric, Evergrey, Extol, Fear Factory, Folkearth, Fredrik Thordendal's Special Defects, Gardenian, Gojira, Gorgoroth, Green Carnation, Grimmdrasil, Haemoth, Harvist, Hate Forest, Heaven Shall Burn, Heidenreich, Hordes Of The Lunar Eclipse, Horna, Ill Niño, Ihsahn, Ildjarn, Immolation, Immortal, In Flames, InMe, Jesu, Judas Iscariot, Kalmah, Katatonia, Katharsis, Killswitch Engage, Korpiklaani, Krieg, The Kovenant, Kroda, Lacrimas Profundere, Lacuna Coil, Lamb Of God, Lengsel, Leviathan, Lifelover, Limbonic Art, Living Sacrifice, Lucifugum, Lunaris, Lurker Of Chalice, Månegarm, Marduk, Mastodon, Meshuggah, Moonspell, Morbid Angel, N.I.L., Nachtmystium, Naglfar, Nasum, Negură Bunget, Neurosis, Nevermore, Nightrage, Nile, Nokturnal Mortum, Old Man's Child, Opeth, P.O.D., Pantera, Papa Roach, Passenger, Rob Zombie, Rotting Christ, Samael, Satyricon, Sauron, Secrets Of The Moon, Shadows Fall, Shining, Silencer, Sirius, Six Feet Under, Slayer, Slipknot, Soilwork, Stabbing Westward, Staind, Static-X, Strapping Young Lad, Summoning, Susperia, Tidfall, Today Is The Day, Tristania, Twilight, Ulver, Underoath, Vital Remains, Watain, Weakling, Woods Of Ypres, Xasthur, Zao, Zyklon

Just your dedication to accurate links impresses me. I christen you as one of the gang.

Jul 16, 2014 at 9:05 PM Post #15,227 of 29,646
  At least half of what I listen to is metal - including just about every sub-genre and related genre. My favorites are melodic death metal and black metal.

Since I'm new to the thread, here is a list of many of the metal bands I like.

Although it contains mostly extreme metal bands, there are also a few hard rock / alternative metal type of bands that may not qualify as "true" metal. You can click on each band's name to learn more about them.

Abigor, Absu, Agalloch, AgathodaimonAgoraphobic Nosebleed, Ajattara, Akercocke, Alas, Amestigon, Amon Amarth, Amorphis, And Oceans, Anorexia Nervosa, Antaeus, Aosoth, Arch Enemy, Arcturus, Astrofaes, At The Gates, Averse Sefira, Azrael, Bathory, Behemoth, Borknagar, Burzum, Children Of Bodom, Chimaira, Converge, Cradle Of Filth, Cryptopsy, Dark Fortress, Dark Funeral, Dark Tranquillity, Darkthrone, Deathspell Omega, Deftones, Demoncy, DHG (Dødheimsgard), The Dillinger Escape Plan, Dimension F3H, Dimension Zero, Dimensional Psychosis, Dimmu Borgir, Disarmonia Mundi, Dissection, Dominion III, Dragonlord, Drudkh, Emperor, Enslaved, Esoteric, Evergrey, Extol, Fear Factory, Folkearth, Fredrik Thordendal's Special Defects, Gardenian, Gojira, Gorgoroth, Green Carnation, Grimmdrasil, Haemoth, Harvist, Hate Forest, Heaven Shall Burn, Heidenreich, Hordes Of The Lunar Eclipse, Horna, Ill Niño, Ihsahn, Ildjarn, Immolation, Immortal, In Flames, InMe, Jesu, Judas Iscariot, Kalmah, Katatonia, Katharsis, Killswitch Engage, Korpiklaani, Krieg, The Kovenant, Kroda, Lacrimas Profundere, Lacuna Coil, Lamb Of God, Lengsel, Leviathan, Lifelover, Limbonic Art, Living Sacrifice, Lucifugum, Lunaris, Lurker Of Chalice, Månegarm, Marduk, Mastodon, Meshuggah, Moonspell, Morbid Angel, N.I.L., Nachtmystium, Naglfar, Nasum, Negură Bunget, Neurosis, Nevermore, Nightrage, Nile, Nokturnal Mortum, Old Man's Child, Opeth, P.O.D., Pantera, Papa Roach, Passenger, Rob Zombie, Rotting Christ, Samael, Satyricon, Sauron, Secrets Of The Moon, Shadows Fall, Shining, Silencer, Sirius, Six Feet Under, Slayer, Slipknot, Soilwork, Stabbing Westward, Staind, Static-X, Strapping Young Lad, Summoning, Susperia, Tidfall, Today Is The Day, Tristania, Twilight, Ulver, Underoath, Vital Remains, Watain, Weakling, Woods Of Ypres, Xasthur, Zao, Zyklon

This is an incredible post. Welcome to the forums :) (well, I don´t know if  I can say something like that as I´m also pretty new to the forums :D )

EDIT: Be´lakor will be releasing Stone´s reach specifically mastered for vinyl soon. Really excited!
https://www.facebook.com/belakorband?fref=ts

Jul 16, 2014 at 9:34 PM Post #15,228 of 29,646

Jul 17, 2014 at 12:16 AM Post #15,229 of 29,646
This isn't exactly metal related, but what would be the best DAP under $250

Jul 17, 2014 at 1:54 AM Post #15,230 of 29,646
  This isn't exactly metal related, but what would be the best DAP under $250

The FiiO X3 ($200) and HiFiMAN HM-601 ($250) are good.

I own a 160 GB iPod Classic with Rockbox firmware. The iBasso DX90 ($419) is the next DAP I plan on getting...and the Astell&Kern / Red Wine Audio RWAK240+ ($3,295) is the one I want the most. I was going to reply to things said earlier later on, but this was an easy one.

Jul 17, 2014 at 2:41 AM Post #15,232 of 29,646
  Clip+ ... no really, it's pretty good. I'm currently using it with my K10 until my Geek Wave arrives.

Haven't heard it, but have heard a lot about how it sounds better than the iPod Classic. Impressive for a next-to-nothing price!

Do you happen to know what options for the Geek Wave will be available to the public once the launch settles down? I've got my eye on the XD 128.

Jul 17, 2014 at 2:55 AM Post #15,233 of 29,646
Ok, cuz I'm eyeing an ibasso dx50 in the source classifieds but just wanted to hear what you guys had to say. That, as well as the fiio or the Xuelin ihifi770

Jul 17, 2014 at 2:58 AM Post #15,234 of 29,646

Haven't heard it, but have heard a lot about how it sounds better than the iPod Classic. Impressive for a next-to-nothing price!

Do you happen to know what options for the Geek Wave will be available to the public once the launch settles down? I've got my eye on the XD 128.

I think most of the perks offered in the Indiegogo campaign should be available. LFF (Paradox Headphone creator) and a few others who have heard the demo unit had nothing but praise for the Geek Wave so at 142$ (Wave 32) it was a no brainer for me, throw in another 38$ for standalone DAC upgrade and my portable gear is pretty much set, I hope. I don't have enough money to chase the portable nirvana so stuff like AK240 ( which sounded not as good according to those same guys above) is out of my league :D

Jul 17, 2014 at 3:12 AM Post #15,235 of 29,646
  I agree that DR3 or 4 is pretty grim as well, but as long as there isn't a ton of obvious clipping, I'm fine with it, but, the last album by Omnihilty had some clipping on it and I still loved it. There is certainly a balance that has to be struck and I think DR is one of the main compromises that has to be made. The flip side is a completely incoherent mix that lacks brutality. Obviously, people like Colin Marston can exceed everyone else's expectations and make extremely dynamic AND well mixed brutal albums, but not everyone is Colin Marston.

I think the problem lies in the fact that Fallujah's brand of death metal is pretty nuanced; the music itself is very dynamic with atmospheric swells, mood changes, and progression. These sorts of things, one would imagine, would be brought to the umpteenth degree with a dynamic mix, unlike, say, Anaal Nathrakh (perhaps... a big perhaps, even).

I also think the fact that Colin Marston, Dan Swano et al can do it shows that it actually ISN'T a compromise that has to be made. I think the argument is that even if no one is Colin Marston, we shouldn't be complacent in letting these DR ratings go because it can be done.

Also... hehe... I don't want to be 'that' guy, but do you know of any albums good dynamic range that is "completely incoherent" and "lacks brutality"? I'd be very intrigued towards the opposite case of what is being argued.

All IMHO of course.

Jul 17, 2014 at 3:15 AM Post #15,236 of 29,646
  I think most of the perks offered in the Indiegogo campaign should be available. LFF (Paradox Headphone creator) and a few others who have heard the demo unit had nothing but praise for the Geek Wave so at 142$ (Wave 32) it was a no brainer for me, throw in another 38$ for standalone DAC upgrade and my portable gear is pretty much set, I hope. I don't have enough money to chase the portable nirvana so stuff like AK240 ( which sounded not as good according to those same guys above) is out of my league :D

Can you link me to the source where they compared the Geek Wave and AK240? I haven't read any comparison reviews for those two. Everyone and their grandmother seems to boast about the latter sounding better than all other players, with few exceptions I've seen.

Do you know if all the Geek Wave models sound the same? It would be very cool if even the cheapest model can beat all the other players on the market. I haven't done a lot of research on the Geek Wave yet.

Jul 17, 2014 at 3:23 AM Post #15,237 of 29,646
  I think the problem lies in the fact that Fallujah's brand of death metal is pretty nuanced; the music itself is very dynamic with atmospheric swells, mood changes, and progression. These sorts of things, one would imagine, would be brought to the umpteenth degree with a dynamic mix, unlike, say, Anaal Nathrakh (perhaps... a big perhaps, even).

I also think the fact that Colin Marston, Dan Swano et al can do it shows that it actually ISN'T a compromise that has to be made. I think the argument is that even if no one is Colin Marston, we shouldn't be complacent in letting these DR ratings go because it can be done.

Also... hehe... I don't want to be 'that' guy, but do you know of any albums good dynamic range that is "completely incoherent" and "lacks brutality"? I'd be very intrigued towards the opposite case of what is being argued.

All IMHO of course.

no, there is no reason to justify the level of clipping Anaal Nathrakh albums have

Jul 17, 2014 at 3:47 AM Post #15,238 of 29,646
  Clip+ ... no really, it's pretty good. I'm currently using it with my K10 until my Geek Wave arrives.

How do you like the k10s with metal?

Out of all the IEMs I've tried, I like the K10s the most. Thinking about getting them but want to demo them again at the next socal meet.

Jul 17, 2014 at 5:05 AM Post #15,239 of 29,646
  Ok, cuz I'm eyeing an ibasso dx50 in the source classifieds but just wanted to hear what you guys had to say. That, as well as the fiio or the Xuelin ihifi770

I love my DX50 to bits ♥

Jul 17, 2014 at 8:23 AM Post #15,240 of 29,646

Can you link me to the source where they compared the Geek Wave and AK240? I haven't read any comparison reviews for those two. Everyone and their grandmother seems to boast about the latter sounding better than all other players, with few exceptions I've seen.

Do you know if all the Geek Wave models sound the same? It would be very cool if even the cheapest model can beat all the other players on the market. I haven't done a lot of research on the Geek Wave yet.

Oops sorry, I didn't put AK120 there =.=, they said AK240 is not as good as AK120 (pre-revision model), I will pm you the link since it's not possible to link it directly on head-fi.

@Angelbelow: I am seriously in love with my K10 <3

Users who are viewing this thread

Back