Lets Talk Metal
Jul 17, 2014 at 6:03 PM Post #15,256 of 29,664
Was there ever any doubt given his thoughts on dynamics in metal?

I don't think Pale Communion is going to be a metal album at all. So far it sounds like a Yes album. I don't have a problem with that, but it's meant to be more naturally dynamic. Also, Steve Wilson is a damn genius and makes the most beautiful stuff out there. The Raven That Refused To Sing is just incredible in every way. He also did Damnation and Deliverance and the DR scores on those are 11 and 10 respectively, and this all makes total sense with how Michael Akerfeldt writes and records songs.

THAT is in a nutshell your argument: If it makes your head move and doesn't clip in the process, mission accomplished from a production standpoint. So be it. I'm not going to argue with that.

My position: I truly believe that over time if more metal heads listen to higher dynamic material (like Origin, like Gorguts, like Panopticon, like Swano), they will feel a lot differently about smashed records like the Fallujah one, and recognize all that they are missing. I also believe that if that Fallujah record was also mastered in such a way that not only would it have that wall of sound presence, but it would actually feel viscerally impactful due the natural dynamics that is contained in all music, my fellow Fallujah fan would pick the higher dynamic version every single time, i.e. If everything is LOUD nothing IS. 
biggrin.gif

Yes, well said, that is my position.

I love all of the bands you listed and certainly appreciate their style, but unlike you, I'm not going to impose that style as an expectation on the music I listen to. I wouldn't mind if people started making albums sound as unholy gorgeous as Colored Sands, though. I also don't feel anything is "missing" and I don't think that more dynamics necessarily makes the album more "viscerally impactful". If given the option, I probably would pick up the more dynamic version, but I honestly don't care that much, it's up to the band, not me. I'd rather have whatever their purist vision of their music is, unless Dan Swano is making it, then he can choose, because he's Dan Swano.

I really understand where you're coming from with the "if everything is loud, nothing is", but you have to respect metal musicians that want everything loud, because, dude, there are a LOT of them.

Jul 17, 2014 at 6:25 PM Post #15,257 of 29,664
Jul 17, 2014 at 6:35 PM Post #15,258 of 29,664
Jul 17, 2014 at 9:07 PM Post #15,260 of 29,664
I don't think Pale Communion is going to be a metal album at all. So far it sounds like a Yes album. I don't have a problem with that, but it's meant to be more naturally dynamic. Also, Steve Wilson is a damn genius and makes the most beautiful stuff out there. The Raven That Refused To Sing is just incredible in every way. He also did Damnation and Deliverance and the DR scores on those are 11 and 10 respectively, and this all makes total sense with how Michael Akerfeldt writes and records songs.

And if he mastered the Fallujah record, do you think it would still be DR4? I think we can both agree, probably not.

I love all of the bands you listed and certainly appreciate their style, but unlike you, I'm not going to impose that style as an expectation on the music I listen to. I wouldn't mind if people started making albums sound as unholy gorgeous as Colored Sands, though. I also don't feel anything is "missing" and I don't think that more dynamics necessarily makes the album more "viscerally impactful". If given the option, I probably would pick up the more dynamic version, but I honestly don't care that much, it's up to the band, not me. I'd rather have whatever their purist vision of their music is, unless Dan Swano is making it, then he can choose, because he's Dan Swano.

I really understand where you're coming from with the "if everything is loud, nothing is", but you have to respect metal musicians that want everything loud, because, dude, there are a LOT of them.

I must confess, it's a very strange position to take. On one hand, "you don't care" and on the other "I'd probably pick with the higher dynamic version most of the time" and "it would be awesome if everything sounded unholy gorgeous like Colored Sands" and if a bona fide expert like Dan Swano says that "higher dynamic version is the better sounding one you'll pick that too."

Honestly, re-read what you wrote in its totality. I feel you are a closet dynamics guy but afraid to just admit it! :beerchug:

Jul 17, 2014 at 9:22 PM Post #15,261 of 29,664
And if he mastered the Fallujah record, do you think it would still be DR4? I think we can both agree, probably not.
I will admit, it's a very strange position you take. On one hand, "you don't care" and on the other "I'd probably pick with the higher dynamic version most of the time" and "it would be awesome if everything sounded unholy gorgeous like Colored Sands" and if a bona fide expert like Dan Swano says that "higher dynamic version is the better sounding one you'll pick that too."

Honestly, re-read what you wrote in its totality. I feel you are a closet dynamics guy but afraid to just admit it!
beerchug.gif

Closet Dynamics Guy!!! LOL!!!

Jul 17, 2014 at 10:11 PM Post #15,262 of 29,664
Jul 17, 2014 at 10:16 PM Post #15,263 of 29,664
  foobar2000 1.3.3 / Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.1
log date: 2014-07-17 22:02:56
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Analyzed: Immolation / Here In After
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DR         Peak         RMS     Duration Track
DR10      -0.38 dB   -10.69 dB      3:54 01-Nailed To Gold
DR10       0.00 dB   -10.65 dB      4:02 02-Burn With Jesus
DR10      -0.21 dB   -10.93 dB      4:55 03-Here In After
DR10      -0.26 dB   -10.92 dB      4:42 04-I Feel Nothing
DR10      -0.27 dB   -10.64 dB      4:45 05-Away From God
DR10      -0.09 dB   -10.67 dB      4:48 06-Towards Earth
DR10      -0.27 dB   -10.78 dB      4:23 07-Under The Supreme
DR10      -0.11 dB   -11.42 dB      5:52 08-Christ's Cage
Number of tracks:  8
Official DR value: DR10
Samplerate:        44100 Hz
Channels:          2
Bits per sample:   16
Bitrate:           991 kbps
Codec:             FLAC
================================================================================

Proof that sheer brutality does not to be shoehorned into your cochlea

Jul 17, 2014 at 10:18 PM Post #15,264 of 29,664
Honestly, re-read what you wrote in its totality. I feel you are a closet dynamics guy but afraid to just admit it!
beerchug.gif

I'm just not obsessive about it like you guys. I'll take it when I can get it, but I don't demand dynamics to make a good record. I'm not going to decry a record because the DR is low.

Can't I just like both? Haha 
L3000.gif

Jul 17, 2014 at 10:23 PM Post #15,265 of 29,664
ONE OF US

ONE OF US

Jul 17, 2014 at 10:32 PM Post #15,266 of 29,664
I happened to find this thread and saw all the talk about dynamic range...  Anyone else buy as much of their metal on vinyl as possible since it's mastered to have more dynamic range?

I'm loving all the metal on vinyl these days.  And well... I enjoy spinning a record more than a cd 
wink.gif

Jul 17, 2014 at 10:53 PM Post #15,267 of 29,664
  I happened to find this thread and saw all the talk about dynamic range...  Anyone else buy as much of their metal on vinyl as possible since it's mastered to have more dynamic range?

I'm loving all the metal on vinyl these days.  And well... I enjoy spinning a record more than a cd 
wink.gif

That's not always the case. The new Massacre album uses the cd master on wax, as well as monolith of inhumanity. HOWEVER, there is a band called Prosanctus Inferi that for whatever reason allowed schiit cd masters go to press then allow a super dynamic press for both the first full length and following EP on wax. I talked to one of the members and he basically condemned the cds.

And FYI it's black/death noise wall, but with punch

oh and did I mention the vocalist does guitar for Black Funeral?

Jul 17, 2014 at 11:00 PM Post #15,268 of 29,664
  I'm just not obsessive about it like you guys. I'll take it when I can get it, but I don't demand dynamics to make a good record. I'm not going to decry a record because the DR is low.

Can't I just like both? Haha 
L3000.gif

Trogor has really educated me on this subject. He's doing  a great service. Fantastic the collaboration on AMG. But, I also get where you're coming from.

Playing devil's advocate, sometimes, I get an album that I love, then I read here how the DR is shot to hell, and I think, "oh well, it sounds good to me". I'm not sure I always am capable of hearing the difference w/o charts  to "tell me what to think". I pretty much assume, most metal is going to be compressed to some degree.

I'm going to go out and buy the new Boris, because I love this band. I've read here how bad the DR is. But, I'm still going to buy their music, because, I think their sound is so strong that it demands my attention and I suspect it will be one of my favorite releases of the year.

That said, when music, any music sounds great-it speaks for itself.

Jul 18, 2014 at 12:29 AM Post #15,269 of 29,664
I discovered the magic of DR through listening to drumkits on well-mastered vinyl...Vainaja's latest. That. *******. KICK. DRUM. And snare. The impact alone makes me want to headbang my desk into the floor. Nothing is the same after something like that.

http://vainaja.bandcamp.com/ (unfortunately this is not the same dynamic master)

Jul 18, 2014 at 1:03 AM Post #15,270 of 29,664

Users who are viewing this thread

Back