Lets Talk Metal
Jul 15, 2014 at 9:37 PM Post #15,213 of 29,647
I just think it's all about the marketplace. What will generate the most zeros. Witness the success of Beats.

No one gives a schiit about sound. Afterall, everyone's listening on a Ipod, right? Audiophiles are incredibly niche. Sell records, downloads, whatever, damn the torpedoes.

Jul 15, 2014 at 11:11 PM Post #15,214 of 29,647
I just think it's all about the marketplace. What will generate the most zeros. Witness the success of Beats.

No one gives a schiit about sound. Afterall, everyone's listening on a Ipod, right? Audiophiles are incredibly niche. Sell records, downloads, whatever, damn the torpedoes.

That argument fails when it comes to extreme metal. The new mayhem has sold2500 copies in its first four weeks. That's mayhem, fallujah may sell 2500 this year?

At least half their potential audience is reading AMG....they should listen! Hell probably 10% of their record buyers this year have seen this thread

(The posted numbers are physical copy sales, but my point stands....if 10% of music lovers are metalheads and 10% of music lovers are audiophiles....)

Jul 16, 2014 at 4:39 AM Post #15,216 of 29,647

As far as I know, there is no study/statistic or whatever that shows that "loud" albums sell better than "quiet" ones.

Jul 16, 2014 at 7:25 AM Post #15,217 of 29,647
That argument fails when it comes to extreme metal. The new mayhem has sold2500 copies in its first four weeks. That's mayhem, fallujah may sell 2500 this year?

At least half their potential audience is reading AMG....they should listen! Hell probably 10% of their record buyers this year have seen this thread

(The posted numbers are physical copy sales, but my point stands....if 10% of music lovers are metalheads and 10% of music lovers are audiophiles....)

I was thinking the same thing.

Jul 16, 2014 at 1:16 PM Post #15,219 of 29,647
I don´t know about you guys, but if i could get my hands on the DR10 version of the album, I would be pretty satisfied with the sound. It sounded good and not over the top loud on my system and I could enjoy the songs (the snipppets).

Jul 16, 2014 at 1:21 PM Post #15,220 of 29,647
  I was thinking the same thing.

Totally agree. I guess I'm just saying that it's largely perception from the marketing perspective. If the labels/bands/producers/etc. think good DR will translate into $$$, then it maybe becomes a priority. But, if they think that people just want it so loud-you can hear your metal on an MP3 device on a crowded NY subway?

It's cool to see some education taking place. Some of us actually take pains to put together carefully thought out HP and speaker systems. Oh yeah, and some of us will actually go out and buy entire albums, not just select cuts and listen to brutal sounding metal on nice sound systems. What a concept!

Jul 16, 2014 at 7:01 PM Post #15,221 of 29,647
At least half of what I listen to is metal - including just about every sub-genre and related genre. My favorites are melodic death metal and black metal.

Since I'm new to the thread, here is a list of many of the metal bands I like.

Although it contains mostly extreme metal bands, there are also a few hard rock / alternative metal type of bands that may not qualify as "true" metal. You can click on each band's name to learn more about them.

Abigor, Absu, Agalloch, AgathodaimonAgoraphobic Nosebleed, Ajattara, Akercocke, Alas, Amestigon, Amon Amarth, Amorphis, And Oceans, Anorexia Nervosa, Antaeus, Aosoth, Arch Enemy, Arcturus, Astrofaes, At The Gates, Averse Sefira, Azrael, Bathory, Behemoth, Borknagar, Burzum, Children Of Bodom, Chimaira, Converge, Cradle Of Filth, Cryptopsy, Dark Fortress, Dark Funeral, Dark Tranquillity, Darkthrone, Deathspell Omega, Deftones, Demoncy, DHG (Dødheimsgard), The Dillinger Escape Plan, Dimension F3H, Dimension Zero, Dimensional Psychosis, Dimmu Borgir, Disarmonia Mundi, Dissection, Dominion III, Dragonlord, Drudkh, Emperor, Enslaved, Esoteric, Evergrey, Extol, Fear Factory, Folkearth, Fredrik Thordendal's Special Defects, Gardenian, Gojira, Gorgoroth, Green Carnation, Grimmdrasil, Haemoth, Harvist, Hate Forest, Heaven Shall Burn, Heidenreich, Hordes Of The Lunar Eclipse, Horna, Ill Niño, Ihsahn, Ildjarn, Immolation, Immortal, In Flames, InMe, Jesu, Judas Iscariot, Kalmah, Katatonia, Katharsis, Killswitch Engage, Korpiklaani, Krieg, The Kovenant, Kroda, Lacrimas Profundere, Lacuna Coil, Lamb Of God, Lengsel, Leviathan, Lifelover, Limbonic Art, Living Sacrifice, Lucifugum, Lunaris, Lurker Of Chalice, Månegarm, Marduk, Mastodon, Meshuggah, Moonspell, Morbid Angel, N.I.L., Nachtmystium, Naglfar, Nasum, Negură Bunget, Neurosis, Nevermore, Nightrage, Nile, Nokturnal Mortum, Old Man's Child, Opeth, P.O.D., Pantera, Papa Roach, Passenger, Rob Zombie, Rotting Christ, Samael, Satyricon, Sauron, Secrets Of The Moon, Shadows Fall, Shining, Silencer, Sirius, Six Feet Under, Slayer, Slipknot, Soilwork, Stabbing Westward, Staind, Static-X, Strapping Young Lad, Summoning, Susperia, Tidfall, Today Is The Day, Tristania, Twilight, Ulver, Underoath, Vital Remains, Watain, Weakling, Woods Of Ypres, Xasthur, Zao, Zyklon

Jul 16, 2014 at 7:08 PM Post #15,222 of 29,647
  At least half of what I listen to is metal - including just about every sub-genre and related genre. My favorites are melodic death metal and black metal.

Although this list contains mostly extreme metal bands, there are also a few hard rock / alternative metal type of bands included that may not qualify as "true" metal. You can click on each band name to learn more about them.

Abigor, Absu, Agalloch, AgathodaimonAgoraphobic Nosebleed, Ajattara, Akercocke, Alas, Amestigon, Amon Amarth, Amorphis, And Oceans, Anorexia Nervosa, Antaeus, Aosoth, Arch Enemy, Arcturus, Astrofaes, At The Gates, Averse Sefira, Azrael, Bathory, Behemoth, Borknagar, Burzum, Children Of Bodom, Chimaira, Converge, Cradle Of Filth, Cryptopsy, Dark Fortress, Dark Funeral, Dark Tranquillity, Darkthrone, Deathspell Omega, Deftones, Demoncy, DHG (Dødheimsgard), The Dillinger Escape Plan, Dimension F3H, Dimension Zero, Dimensional Psychosis, Dimmu Borgir, Disarmonia Mundi, Dissection, Dominion III, Dragonlord, Drudkh, Emperor, Enslaved, Esoteric, Evergrey, Extol, Fear Factory, Folkearth, Fredrik Thordendal's Special Defects, Gardenian, Gojira, Gorgoroth, Green Carnation, Grimmdrasil, Haemoth, Harvist, Hate Forest, Heaven Shall Burn, Heidenreich, Hordes Of The Lunar Eclipse, Horna, Ill Niño, Ihsahn, Ildjarn, Immolation, Immortal, In Flames, InMe, Jesu, Judas Iscariot, Kalmah, Katatonia, Katharsis, Killswitch Engage, Korpiklaani, Krieg, The Kovenant, Kroda, Lacrimas Profundere, Lacuna Coil, Lamb Of God, Lengsel, Leviathan, Lifelover, Limbonic Art, Living Sacrifice, Lucifugum, Lunaris, Lurker Of Chalice, Månegarm, Marduk, Mastodon, Meshuggah, Moonspell, Morbid Angel, N.I.L., Nachtmystium, Naglfar, Nasum, Negură Bunget, Neurosis, Nevermore, Nightrage, Nile, Nokturnal Mortum, Old Man's Child, Opeth, P.O.D., Pantera, Papa Roach, Passenger, Rob Zombie, Rotting Christ, Samael, Satyricon, Sauron, Secrets Of The Moon, Shadows Fall, Shining, Silencer, Sirius, Six Feet Under, Slayer, Slipknot, Soilwork, Stabbing Westward, Staind, Static-X, Strapping Young Lad, Summoning, Susperia, Tidfall, Today Is The Day, Tristania, Twilight, Ulver, Underoath, Vital Remains, Watain, Weakling, Woods Of Ypres, Xasthur, Zao, Zyklon

Welcome my friend!!!. 

Recently, members of this thread(who shall remain unnamed) were involved in dynamic range battle with recording engineer for Fallujah's new album on their Facebook page, which was then removed by the band. The same discussion, was then carried over to Angry Metal Guys review page(see comments section)

http://www.angrymetalguy.com/fallujah-flesh-prevails/

Jul 16, 2014 at 7:47 PM Post #15,223 of 29,647

Although it contains mostly extreme metal bands, there are also a few hard rock / alternative metal type of bands that may not qualify as "true" metal. You can click on each band's name to learn more about them.

Are you me?

Jul 16, 2014 at 7:48 PM Post #15,224 of 29,647
  I don't get why people are so unhappy with it. Fallujah obviously liked it. If it sounds good, which it does, why are people so upset about how the dynamic range measures? I've checked the DR on plenty of albums that I love and have been very surprised to see some of the ratings, but then upon re-listening to those albums, realized that the artist intended to have them sound that way. As they said, tech death is very dense, and the denser material is, the more things tend to get compressed so they sit in the mix and make sense.

What I'm trying to get it is that dynamic range isn't an automatic indication of the quality of a recording. I mean really, it's death metal, why would you care if there is a bunch of really quiet crap in the background? The brutality is going to end up drowning most of it out anyway. A lot of tracks have high DR ratings just because of some intro crap on the album or single pieces that trail off. Does that mean they are better recordings? No, they're just different.

Meshuggah, who has plenty of crazy **** going on in their records, doesn't go above a 7 most of the time, and that is pretty high for a metal album. Koloss comes in at a 6 and it's still a gorgeous album. 

On the flip side, old recordings by Death, like Scream Bloody Gore, come in around a 10, but I still think that album sounds like crap. I love old metal, but I still can't stand the way it was recorded, DR10 or not.

I will say that DR3 is pretty grim and doesn't have much chance of being great. But I totally agree with your post, it's ignorant to judge any album based on that number without having heard it. "Fullständigt Jävla Död Inuti" by Shining is some of the best sounding metal I've heard, and it only hits DR4. I was really surprised to see that, since I just looked it up out of curiosity after thinking how good it sounded, but it has never bothered me and I stand by my opinion that it's an example of some of the greatest metal production out there.

Jul 16, 2014 at 8:05 PM Post #15,225 of 29,647

I will say that DR3 is pretty grim and doesn't have much chance of being great. But I totally agree with your post, it's ignorant to judge any album based on that number without having heard it. "Fullständigt Jävla Död Inuti" by Shining is some of the best sounding metal I've heard, and it only hits DR4. I was really surprised to see that, since I just looked it up out of curiosity after thinking how good it sounded, but it has never bothered me and I stand by my opinion that it's an example of some of the greatest metal production out there.

I agree that DR3 or 4 is pretty grim as well, but as long as there isn't a ton of obvious clipping, I'm fine with it, but, the last album by Omnihilty had some clipping on it and I still loved it. There is certainly a balance that has to be struck and I think DR is one of the main compromises that has to be made. The flip side is a completely incoherent mix that lacks brutality. Obviously, people like Colin Marston can exceed everyone else's expectations and make extremely dynamic AND well mixed brutal albums, but not everyone is Colin Marston.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back