Lets Talk Metal
Jul 15, 2014 at 1:53 PM Post #15,196 of 29,647
  That is quite the mind blowing line up. I really like that wild, all over the place tech death style a lot. Let us know how the show was if you go!

Will do, definitely. And I think I owe it to everyone not there that I attend at least two shows. 
evil_smiley.gif

Seriously though, I've wanted to see both Gigan and Ulcerate live since the first time I heard them, and I think Wormed's Exomodros is one of the most devastating things in the history of everything, ever. I really can't wait. Is it November yet? Also, if that unconfirmed support act turns out to be Portal I am going to sh!t myself. Or Dragged into Sunlight... Or Beyond Creation... Getting greedy now...

[Edit: you can't even say 'crap' here..?]

Jul 15, 2014 at 2:24 PM Post #15,198 of 29,647
Quote from Zach about the discussion from yesterday regarding The Flesh Prevails:
"While I find it totally asinine to judge an album's merit on a ****ty foobar plugin, I can confirm the vinyl touches DR6 max. If you really want to know "why" it's because we liked it best and it's extremely dense material."

Srsly **** this. :frowning2:(((

Jul 15, 2014 at 3:40 PM Post #15,200 of 29,647
Quote from Zach about the discussion from yesterday regarding The Flesh Prevails:
"While I find it totally asinine to judge an album's merit on a ****ty foobar plugin, I can confirm the vinyl touches DR6 max. If you really want to know "why" it's because we liked it best and it's extremely dense material."

Srsly **** this.
frown.gif
(((

I don't get why people are so unhappy with it. Fallujah obviously liked it. If it sounds good, which it does, why are people so upset about how the dynamic range measures? I've checked the DR on plenty of albums that I love and have been very surprised to see some of the ratings, but then upon re-listening to those albums, realized that the artist intended to have them sound that way. As they said, tech death is very dense, and the denser material is, the more things tend to get compressed so they sit in the mix and make sense.

What I'm trying to get it is that dynamic range isn't an automatic indication of the quality of a recording. I mean really, it's death metal, why would you care if there is a bunch of really quiet crap in the background? The brutality is going to end up drowning most of it out anyway. A lot of tracks have high DR ratings just because of some intro crap on the album or single pieces that trail off. Does that mean they are better recordings? No, they're just different.

Meshuggah, who has plenty of crazy **** going on in their records, doesn't go above a 7 most of the time, and that is pretty high for a metal album. Koloss comes in at a 6 and it's still a gorgeous album. 

On the flip side, old recordings by Death, like Scream Bloody Gore, come in around a 10, but I still think that album sounds like crap. I love old metal, but I still can't stand the way it was recorded, DR10 or not.

Jul 15, 2014 at 3:56 PM Post #15,201 of 29,647

Srsly **** this. :frowning2:(((

I know right...very disappointing to say the least...

Jul 15, 2014 at 4:21 PM Post #15,202 of 29,647
How's the 5.1? Nothing, I mean nothing, sounds as good as a well done 5.1 mix. I'm not a huge Opeth fan but bwp is my favorite of theirs and I'm a huge sucker for a proper multichannel

Steven Wilson produced this remix so.....♥

Srsly **** this.
frown.gif
(((

Nobody judged the whole album just based on the DR....
The new Gorguts is also super dense and it scores a solid 8
frown.gif

Jul 15, 2014 at 4:25 PM Post #15,203 of 29,647
I know right...very disappointing to say the least...

Well they even deleted this comment now :D I don´t know if this is always the case on fb pages of bands but I find it a bit disappointing to deal with criticism this way.

Whatever, I don´t care what anyone says on fb. I enjoy the nice and helpful community we have here :)

I´m still eager though if it will sound good on vinyl nevertheless. I hate wasting my money :D

Jul 15, 2014 at 4:31 PM Post #15,204 of 29,647
  Steven Wilson produced this remix so.....♥

Nobody judged the whole album just based on the DR....
The new Gorguts is also super dense and it scores a solid 8
frown.gif

I think we just have to let go now. Let them think whatever the **** they want to think. It´s pointless arguing with people like that. It would take too much time and energy to convince them that heavy music doesn´t have to be smashed into oblivions to sound powerful. Even if there are great examples of how to do it right like Gorguts, Torture Division, etc. they won´t change their minds.

Jul 15, 2014 at 5:47 PM Post #15,206 of 29,647
I think we just have to let go now. Let them think whatever the **** they want to think. It´s pointless arguing with people like that. It would take too much time and energy to convince them that heavy music doesn´t have to be smashed into oblivions to sound powerful. Even if there are great examples of how to do it right like Gorguts, Torture Division, etc. they won´t change their minds.

I agree, but we should collectively finger point and go "C'mon, who are you fooling here?"

Jul 15, 2014 at 6:16 PM Post #15,207 of 29,647
  Yeah, did the same thing with Still Life. Well worth it IMO.

Fallujahs initial response to my FB message is comedy gold:

That was my message

Jul 15, 2014 at 6:17 PM Post #15,208 of 29,647

I miss KK Downing's guitar sound. For me anyway he was half the band. Still as much as I didn't like the early songs I heard, the complete album is pretty good. The fact that they pumped up the farewell tour then said this was their last LP. I don't think so. Old rockers never die! They just keep going!

I was seriously disappointed in this one. Had high hopes. A bunch of mid-tempo so-so songs. Kinda like the new Sabbath album. Could have done without both.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back