Lets Talk Metal
May 18, 2014 at 10:25 PM Post #14,476 of 29,691
Neither do I. I have tried, and tired, and tired, I just don't get it. And I consider all of you friends with impeccable taste in music!
biggrin.gif

Can someone point me to a song that I might like? Please?

I started listening to them last year and I like them. Do you like the weirder, experimental side of Neurosis, Isis and Sun0))? Do you like non metal drone like Godspeed! You Black Emperor?  Do you like Brian Eno-minimalistic ambient, electronic music. If not-they are probably not for you.

They pretty much invented drone as far as I can tell on the non metal side. They are experimental and weird. I think you have to have patience and interest in avant garde, long drone.

The  entire Seer album is the way to start. But, it's a double disc two-plus hour emersion. To "get" them, you need to commit to listening to an entire album as a sort of soundscape listening experience.They create repetitive, almost trance like inducing drone that for some is compelling. I'm sure a lot of people hate them and find them awful.

Tom Jurek, music critic  from Allumusic writes:  The Seer is the most sprawling, ambitious, thoughtfully conceived and tightly performed recording in the band's catalog -- also not hyperbole -- over two discs, two hours, and 11 tracks. And it is not an endurance test, but an argument for compulsive listening. It's an exquisitely wrought journey through post-rock, electronic soundscapes, haunting acoustic songs, punishing noise, and (lots of) percussion. Given its length, it takes its time getting there, but when the chaos and world-shaking begin, the band leans full-on into the abyss to deliver a nearly frightening conclusion; Gira employs the full range of his powerful voice in the heart of the maelstrom before a stampede of drums pushes the track out onto other side of oblivion. The Seer is unquestionably a work of ecstatic beauty; it encompasses everything because it is everything. It references the aesthetic developed by Swans, and moves it past current musical boundaries and onto a new sonic frontier, where they stand, as they have always stood, alone.

So yeah-it's left of field and not for everyone. I think Neurosis is a good starting point from a metal perspective. Can you deal with their long, 10 minute plus mini epics? Well multiply that by two hours and take out most of the metal.

And, yes, I'm aware it's not metal-so spare me the "this has no business on a metal discussion" flames people.

That's my answer to your question.

Peace.

May 19, 2014 at 1:57 AM Post #14,477 of 29,691
^Good post. They are very metal to me. Trance-inducing, extremely heavy momentum-based songs.

May 19, 2014 at 5:45 AM Post #14,478 of 29,691
  I'm dead serious!
The only kind of Death Metal I like is Tech/Prog Death.
Entombed, Cannibal Corpse, Six Feet Under, Morbid Angel, Master, Devourment etc etc are just not for me.

What

May 19, 2014 at 7:11 AM Post #14,479 of 29,691
I started listening to them last year and I like them. Do you like the weirder, experimental side of Neurosis, Isis and Sun0))? Do you like non metal drone like Godspeed! You Black Emperor?  Do you like Brian Eno-minimalistic ambient, electronic music. If not-they are probably not for you.

They pretty much invented drone as far as I can tell on the non metal side. They are experimental and weird. I think you have to have patience and interest in avant garde, long drone.

The  entire Seer album is the way to start. But, it's a double disc two-plus hour emersion. To "get" them, you need to commit to listening to an entire album as a sort of soundscape listening experience.They create repetitive, almost trance like inducing drone that for some is compelling. I'm sure a lot of people hate them and find them awful.

Tom Jurek, music critic  from Allumusic writes:  [COLOR=0066CC]The Seer[/COLOR] is the most sprawling, ambitious, thoughtfully conceived and tightly performed recording in the band's catalog -- also not hyperbole -- over two discs, two hours, and 11 tracks. And it is not an endurance test, but an argument for compulsive listening. It's an exquisitely wrought journey through post-rock, electronic soundscapes, haunting acoustic songs, punishing noise, and (lots of) percussion. Given its length, it takes its time getting there, but when the chaos and world-shaking begin, the band leans full-on into the abyss to deliver a nearly frightening conclusion; [COLOR=0066CC]Gira[/COLOR] employs the full range of his powerful voice in the heart of the maelstrom before a stampede of drums pushes the track out onto other side of oblivion. [COLOR=0066CC]The Seer[/COLOR] is unquestionably a work of ecstatic beauty; it encompasses everything because it is everything. It references the aesthetic developed by [COLOR=0066CC]Swans[/COLOR], and moves it past current musical boundaries and onto a new sonic frontier, where they stand, as they have always stood, alone.

So yeah-it's left of field and not for everyone. I think Neurosis is a good starting point from a metal perspective. Can you deal with their long, 10 minute plus mini epics? Well multiply that by two hours and take out most of the metal.

And, yes, I'm aware it's not metal-so spare me the "this has no business on a metal discussion" flames people.

That's my answer to your question.

Peace.

mark1m, thanks a bunch for the detailed explanation above. Really, hats off!

I will give it a shot. I promise you. I have a new toy showing up on Wednesday (not a loaner, something I actually bought and have waited almost 6 months for) and will give this a go.

May 19, 2014 at 7:14 AM Post #14,480 of 29,691
I'm dead serious!

The only kind of Death Metal I like is Tech/Prog Death.

Entombed, Cannibal Corpse, Six Feet Under, Morbid Angel, Master, Devourment etc etc are just not for me.

That's cool Tom. It's just strange to see the words "Bolt Thrower," "Carcass," and "Vader" in a sentence that begins with "I don't like..."

So you are an Origin, Gorguts, Beyond Creation, Obscura kind of guy?

Does this float your boat?

May 19, 2014 at 8:21 AM Post #14,481 of 29,691
mark1m, thanks a bunch for the detailed explanation above. Really, hats off!

I will give it a shot. I promise you. I have a new toy showing up on Wednesday (not a loaner, something I actually bought and have waited almost 6 months for) and will give this a go.

NP-I don't really know why I like them so much. I guess I just like unusual music.  I find them really compelling. But, I know it's not for everyone. Ask my wife
tongue_smile.gif

May 19, 2014 at 11:55 AM Post #14,482 of 29,691
That's cool Tom. It's just strange to see the words "Bolt Thrower," "Carcass," and "Vader" in a sentence that begins with "I don't like..."

Different folks, different strokes! Even though a few of the aforementioned bands seem to be must-listen-to ones for Metal aficionados :p

Yes, I totally am.

Oooohhh I was actually looking for that band for some time now! First listened to this album on their BC page one or two months ago and forgot their name for some reason.
Thanks!

May 19, 2014 at 12:00 PM Post #14,483 of 29,691
I love one-man Black metal bands.
This one is especially stupid/awesome:

Jup! Some of the most important Jazz tracks reinterpreted as super quirky low-fi-ish Black Metal!
I do prefer the original versions of these songs (especially this one here and My Favorite Things) but this is also pretty neat.

http://melichrone.bandcamp.com/

May 19, 2014 at 1:06 PM Post #14,484 of 29,691
NP-I don't really know why I like them so much. I guess I just like unusual music.  I find them really compelling. But, I know it's not for everyone. Ask my wife :tongue_smile:

The seer is unlike most of the swans catalog (except ...rope...). Their early stuff is pure no -wave violent noise. I enjoyed the seer immensely, although I think my favorite swans is soundtracks for the blind. I'm excited to check the new one, although it has way less fanfare than the seer did

May 19, 2014 at 1:38 PM Post #14,485 of 29,691
The seer is unlike most of the swans catalog (except ...rope...). Their early stuff is pure no -wave violent noise. I enjoyed the seer immensely, although I think my favorite swans is soundtracks for the blind. I'm excited to check the new one, although it has way less fanfare than the seer did

+1 for the Soundtracks for the Blind. That's probably my #2....more ambient...really cool album.

I haven't heard the really early  noice rock stuff.

May 19, 2014 at 2:46 PM Post #14,487 of 29,691

Jup! Some of the most important Jazz tracks reinterpreted as super quirky low-fi-ish Black Metal!
I do prefer the original versions of these songs (especially this one here and My Favorite Things) but this is also pretty neat.

this is awesome

May 19, 2014 at 2:51 PM Post #14,488 of 29,691

THX Trog!

May 19, 2014 at 3:45 PM Post #14,489 of 29,691
They released another Judas Priest song today. I'm thinking the new album is going to suck. Too bad they didn't stop making records already.:cool:

May 19, 2014 at 4:36 PM Post #14,490 of 29,691
First teaser is out :)

The cover looks super cool!

Tom, its about time to have your blind blown....you're due.

Let me know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back