Lets Talk Metal
Jun 27, 2010 at 11:58 PM Post #1,396 of 29,661

Quote:
Heh, sorry about that. Unfortunately D-Generation is the one good one. Mind Tricks is kind of a worse version of Nightrage's New Disease Is Born. On its own I might give it 6.5/10, but after D-Generation its just such a letdown. Their most recent one, Isolation Game, is several steps down from that. Compared to D-Generation it's not even recognizable. You could put any 3rd rate metal band's name on it.

I saw Tool live almost 10 years ago. It was an interesting show, but it lacked the raw energy from the band that I like to see live. By far the best live show I've seen to date is NIN - Lights In The Sky. I am curious about what the return of Soundgarden is going to be like. I didn't really like Down On The Upside, and I'm hoping their new stuff is going to have at least some hints of Badmotorfinger.

Wow, saw NIN at the House of Blues in Atlantic City.  One of the best shows ever.  Trent really has unbelievable energy in his shows (and is just funny).  I missed Lights In The Sky and I regret it!  :frowning2:

Jun 28, 2010 at 12:17 AM Post #1,397 of 29,661

Quote:
Not better, just different. And that track is a good example. No way they could reproduce it live.  Some of the best bands are like that, where the studio work is a stand alone work of art and the live show a more visceral and immediate experience.

I agree, there's just so much detail in their studio albums.

Would be kinda funny to see them bring out a jack hammer though.

Jun 28, 2010 at 8:46 AM Post #1,398 of 29,661

time for a commercial

Jun 28, 2010 at 9:22 AM Post #1,399 of 29,661

Quote:

lol that would be quite something.  I'm sure it would be possible but they would need a new piece of concrete every time they played it!!!

What I find hypnotic about that track is the deeep bass note alternating with the high metallic ring (sounds like a tiny triangle) both sounding the same note but must be like 12 octaves difference between them. I've never heard anything like it.  Feels kind of Tibetan monastery meditation tones.

Jun 28, 2010 at 12:44 PM Post #1,400 of 29,661

Quote:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2007/feb/16/popandrock1

[size=2.166em] How to destroy the ICA with drills[/size]

[size=1.333em] Next week the ICA in London hosts artist Jo Mitchell's attempt to recreate one of the venue's strangest events, the German group Einstürzende Neubauten's Concerto for Voice and Machinery. Neubauten's Alexander Hacke recalls what happened that night in January 1984[/size]

[size=1.333em]  [/size]

"When we played at the ICA, we had this Utopian idea of leaving the stage from underneath. The plan was to dig through the stage into the tunnel system underneath the venue, which is supposed to go all the way to Buckingham Palace. Obviously, the venue had no idea of our intentions. We'd already been banned from a lot of venues for using fire and drilling the walls, but the Concerto for Voice and Machinery was billed as a highbrow art thing. There was no connection made to rock music.

I think the ICA probably started to realise something was afoot when a cement mixer was set up on stage, alongside electric drills and jackhammers. There was a piano, too, but that would be smashed to pieces. In those days, we'd often take the stage under the influence of substances or alcohol but this time I think we were particularly aware of the potential for danger so we were pretty much straight. When we took the stage, the euphoria was so intense. It felt ritualistic, meditative, like we were samurai.

There's a lot of controversy over who was actually on stage. Contrary to rumour, Blixa [Bargeld, the singer] did appear, but pretty late. He came on in the last quarter and sang one word, Sehnsucht, which means "addicted to desire". Frank Tovey, who performed as Fad Gadget, was singing freestyle stuff, these sort of om-like mantras. Genesis P Orridge was also on stage but I can't remember if he was handling a chainsaw or a pneumatic drill. Because we were using petrol-driven chainsaws, very soon the whole room was filled with smoke, the stench of petrol everywhere. It sounded like a cross between a building site and war. Because I was very young, the others wouldn't let me near the heavy machinery so I stood, wearing protective gloves and a visor, throwing milk bottles into the cement mixer, which smashed and flew into the crowd.

But we would have kept it pretty straightforward if we weren't inspired by the reaction of the audience. There's a famous Walter Benjamin essay about the destructive character, and he says: "The destructive character knows only one watchword: make room. And only one activity: clearing away." And that's how it was. We were thinking, "Actually, it's not us doing anything. The audience are tearing the place apart!" People were fighting over the drills and sledgehammers. Cables and machinery were pulled into the audience.

The thing about these situations is that no matter how wild it gets, people do instinctively take care of each other. I'm sure there were moments when we thought it was getting out of hand but it was all so quick, it went "Snap", like a switch being flicked and everyone going berserk.

When I ran out of bottles, I wandered off the stage so I could look at what was happening from in the crowd. There were heated discussions going on between officials at the entrance. They couldn't really throw themselves into the fray, it was hopeless. After 21 minutes they pulled the power. It was the only thing they could do. But the audience just carried on banging things.

By the end there was a big hole in the stage but we didn't make it through to the actual stone structure of the venue, so we failed. That's why I have no idea how they're going to recreate it. I won't really be able to give advice. But I hope this time they actually make it down the tunnels, and pop in to see the Queen."

Jun 28, 2010 at 1:36 PM Post #1,401 of 29,661
I second this recommendation, i've just listened to something from their first two album on youtube, then bought both. It's like a purely instrumental mix of Isis and Mastodon ( well...their quieter stuff ) , basically they kick some major amount of ass.
Quote:
Would like to recommend Russian Circles (Post-Rock / Metal). They have several free tracks on Last.fm.

Jun 28, 2010 at 5:11 PM Post #1,404 of 29,661
The latest 1349 is in my opinion a huge step forward for them. I never quite liked their full on blastbeat assault but their latest offering shows much more variety. dark ambience and progressive, Deathspell Omega-ish riffs and chord progressions. It's still orthodox black metal but more avant than I expected. 

Jun 28, 2010 at 5:27 PM Post #1,405 of 29,661

Quote:
Wow, saw NIN at the House of Blues in Atlantic City.  One of the best shows ever.  Trent really has unbelievable energy in his shows (and is just funny).  I missed Lights In The Sky and I regret it!  :frowning2:

Download The Gift from the "this one is on us" page if you haven't already. It's not the same as being there, but it certainly captures what it was like to be there.

Jun 29, 2010 at 8:29 AM Post #1,408 of 29,661
Quote:
The latest 1349 is in my opinion a huge step forward for them. I never quite liked their full on blastbeat assault but their latest offering shows much more variety. dark ambience and progressive, Deathspell Omega-ish riffs and chord progressions. It's still orthodox black metal but more avant than I expected. 

Agreed, though there was nowhere to go but up coming from the utter fail of an experiment that was "Revelations of the Black Flame". I still have to let the whole record sink in though, but I am liking it more after multiple plays. As far as BM goes this year, my favorites are the new albums from Imperium Dekadenz, Sigh, Twilight, Nightbringer, Burzum and Denouncement Pyre.

Jun 29, 2010 at 11:15 AM Post #1,409 of 29,661
I agree on Nightbringer and Twilight. Didn't care much for Sigh's j-rock black metal. Never heard the others bands so will go check 'em out! Thanks for that. 

Best BM releases this year for me so far are Ondskapt, Watain, Alcest, Nachtmystium, Krallice and Twilight. Come to think of it, only Watain would classify as true black metal. :) 

edit: listening to Denouncement Pyre's "Lead To The Furnace" now. Love it! I needed a fresh dose of thrashing BM this summer. Awesome production on the drums as well. Love the tom-rolls and the nasty china.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back