Lets Talk Metal
Jun 27, 2010 at 5:57 AM Post #1,381 of 29,664
Sunn O))) are so much better live. Their records can never really prepare you for the unrelenting sonic onslaught. Which can be quite enjoyable in a "oh god my insides are melting!" kind of way
blink.gif

Jun 27, 2010 at 8:18 AM Post #1,383 of 29,664

Quote:
Sunn O))) are so much better live. Their records can never really prepare you for the unrelenting sonic onslaught. Which can be quite enjoyable in a "oh god my insides are melting!" kind of way
blink.gif

Not better, just different. And that track is a good example. No way they could reproduce it live.  Some of the best bands are like that, where the studio work is a stand alone work of art and the live show a more visceral and immediate experience.

Jun 27, 2010 at 9:55 AM Post #1,384 of 29,664
I just listened to Parkway Drive.  Its not as bad as you are making it out to be (no they are not Emo, c'mon now) but they aren't what I would consider good Metalcore.

WARNING: I am not a big fan of that genre.

However, if you like Metalcore, how about Threat Signal?  I am probably going to see them with Dark Tranquility.

On another note, anyone listen to the new Soilwork stuff coming out in 2 weeks I think?

Jun 27, 2010 at 10:16 AM Post #1,385 of 29,664

Quote:

On another note, anyone listen to the new Soilwork stuff coming out in 2 weeks I think?

Haven't heard anything yet, but I'm looking forward to it with cautious optimism. Great Divide was pretty lousy, but with Wichers back on guitar, maybe it will be better. I'm not expecting Chainheart 2, but something at least Figure Number 5 quality would be nice.

Jun 27, 2010 at 10:30 AM Post #1,386 of 29,664

Quote:
Not better, just different. And that track is a good example. No way they could reproduce it live.  Some of the best bands are like that, where the studio work is a stand alone work of art and the live show a more visceral and immediate experience.

Agreed maybe on some tracks/albums. But the first time I saw them live they performed Altar from beginning to end with Boris. In my opinion that album really is much better live.
Now I would concede, when they toured after releasing Monoliths And Dimensions, a lot of us who went were hoping they would perform the track Alice. No such luck. Logistically probably a nightmare to perform live, with the combinations of acoustic and electric instruments.

Jun 27, 2010 at 10:59 AM Post #1,387 of 29,664

Quote:
Haven't heard anything yet, but I'm looking forward to it with cautious optimism. Great Divide was pretty lousy, but with Wichers back on guitar, maybe it will be better. I'm not expecting Chainheart 2, but something at least Figure Number 5 quality would be nice.

I was a big fan of Predators Portrait as well.  I have not heard the Great Divide but it seemed to give a lot of fans angst.

I just discovered Disarmonia Mundi - they are very good!  :)

Jun 27, 2010 at 12:46 PM Post #1,388 of 29,664
I like all the old albums. Great Divide is just completely lacking energy, it sounds like the band is not even trying, and the terrible production makes it 10X worse.

Disarmonia's second album Fragments of D-Generation is fantastic and ranks up there with the best melodic death metal. The follow up Mind Tricks is much weaker, but it's tolerable. The new one isn't even worth listening to.

Jun 27, 2010 at 4:28 PM Post #1,389 of 29,664
thanks trogdor, ill have to check out threat signals.

on another note. i just got back home after driving 6 hours both ways to st louis to see Tool live. We got there 3 hours early, stood outside in the baking sun. but our effort paid off because we were at the very front, just left of center. It was probably the most amazing concert that ill ever see. i wish i had pics but the event staff were like hawks on the lookout for cameras and camcorders.

Jun 27, 2010 at 9:13 PM Post #1,393 of 29,664

Quote:
I like all the old albums. Great Divide is just completely lacking energy, it sounds like the band is not even trying, and the terrible production makes it 10X worse.

Disarmonia's second album Fragments of D-Generation is fantastic and ranks up there with the best melodic death metal. The follow up Mind Tricks is much weaker, but it's tolerable. The new one isn't even worth listening to.

Yeah, Fragments of a D-Generation is what I was listening too and its FANTASTIC.  You just broke my heart with the other comments.  They apparently don't even have a label right now.

I saw Tool in a small theater in NYC and they were UNBELIEVABLY good.  One of the best live acts.  However, despite what people say I really don't consider them metal - at all.  They are to me more or less a hard rock band.  I consider them in the same category as Soundgarden (another great band but no so much live).

Jun 27, 2010 at 9:53 PM Post #1,394 of 29,664

Quote:
Yeah, Fragments of a D-Generation is what I was listening too and its FANTASTIC.  You just broke my heart with the other comments.  They apparently don't even have a label right now.

I saw Tool in a small theater in NYC and they were UNBELIEVABLY good.  One of the best live acts.  However, despite what people say I really don't consider them metal - at all.  They are to me more or less a hard rock band.  I consider them in the same category as Soundgarden (another great band but no so much live).

Heh, sorry about that. Unfortunately D-Generation is the one good one. Mind Tricks is kind of a worse version of Nightrage's New Disease Is Born. On its own I might give it 6.5/10, but after D-Generation its just such a letdown. Their most recent one, Isolation Game, is several steps down from that. Compared to D-Generation it's not even recognizable. You could put any 3rd rate metal band's name on it.

I saw Tool live almost 10 years ago. It was an interesting show, but it lacked the raw energy from the band that I like to see live. By far the best live show I've seen to date is NIN - Lights In The Sky. I am curious about what the return of Soundgarden is going to be like. I didn't really like Down On The Upside, and I'm hoping their new stuff is going to have at least some hints of Badmotorfinger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back