Lets Talk Metal
Dec 15, 2013 at 4:24 PM Post #12,511 of 29,663
  thats phat tommy!! 
have a look at this wind the bass up!

*snip*

Meh, not much of a Meshuggah fan.
Never been, probably never will be.

I'm quiet lost here....what does this person want to show us?
How great the vinyl version sounds?
That he owns a turntable?
Or that there is a pretty cool non-metal track on the latest album?

Dec 15, 2013 at 4:36 PM Post #12,512 of 29,663
  u have to watch that video dudetrust me you cant just meh it if u dont like it i will never post anything again and i will go join a nudist colony or somthing

I don't like it.
Make sure to send me a card from wherever the wind takes you :)

Dec 15, 2013 at 10:42 PM Post #12,513 of 29,663

I totally agree, but I don't think that's what we were really talking about... Whether an album was "important" or not isn't really relevant to how much I'll like it. I might try harder but that's it. I feel the same way about most of The Beatles and Black Sabbath; I can recognize their influence and appreciate it, but I still don't like the music. 2 different ways of looking at it, one of them highly subjective.

If you do, you might suddenly find it much harder to defend Metallica. 
wink.gif

That's fair. I thought Ride the Lightening was amazing. But, that was a long, long time ago and  I can't remember the last time I listened to Metallica.

Taste is subjective. There's really no arguing .

I just think it's nonsensical when people blanket statements like Metallica completely suck. I think you have to look at the larger picture. They may not be relevant now, and you may not like their music, but that doesn't mean they didn't exert a profound influence at one time. And to say they suck like they're New Direction or something is kind of silly.

And, I recognize that wasn't your point. I'm just sayin.....

OTH, if you if you have no love for Sabbath, that's a problem
wink_face.gif

I hope you've at least listened to Paranoid, Masters of Reality and/or  Heaven and Hell.

Dec 16, 2013 at 4:46 AM Post #12,514 of 29,663
Black Sabbath and Metallica are so big and high-profile that they are going to get pop shots. But if any one person has had a musical revolution in thinking and personal experience with their music, then there is nothing to say, it's personal..

All I have to say is two things.................Master of Reality and Master of Puppets. Hello?

Dec 16, 2013 at 7:44 AM Post #12,515 of 29,663

That's fair. I thought Ride the Lightening was amazing. But, that was a long, long time ago and  I can't remember the last time I listened to Metallica.

I just think it's nonsensical when people blanket statements like Metallica completely suck. I think you have to look at the larger picture. They may not be relevant now, and you may not like their music, but that doesn't mean they didn't exert a profound influence at one time. And to say they suck like they're New Direction or something is kind of silly.

wink_face.gif

I hope you've at least listened to Paranoid, Masters of Reality and/or  Heaven and Hell.

By 'people' I think you mean me because I'm the one that opened this can of worms. I never said that Metallica completely suck, Remember that I said "they were a band who helped pioneer thrash metal in the '80s, and they were innovative in their time." I think their older albums are great, but I just have a hard time listening to Metallica knowing what these guys have become. I guess I could equate the Metallica thing to Jerry Sandusky. When I hear that name, all I think about is a human monster. I'd have a very hard time watching any of his games now knowing who he really is (well, I'd have a hard time anyway because I'm not a football fan, but you get the picture).

When I was in fifth grade, my teacher took away my Kill 'Em All tape. I was pretty mad! :)

Dec 16, 2013 at 8:22 AM Post #12,516 of 29,663

wink_face.gif
" src="http://files.head-fi.org/images/smilies/wink_face.gif">

By 'people' I think you mean me because I'm the one that opened this can of worms. I never said that Metallica completely suck, Remember that I said "they were a band who helped pioneer thrash metal in the '80s, and they were innovative in their time." I think their older albums are great, but I just have a hard time listening to Metallica knowing what these guys have become. I guess I could equate the Metallica thing to Jerry Sandusky. When I hear that name, all I think about is a human monster. I'd have a very hard time watching any of his games now knowing who he really is (well, I'd have a hard time anyway because I'm not a football fan, but you get the picture).

When I was in fifth grade, my teacher took away my Kill 'Em All tape. I was pretty mad!
smily_headphones1.gif

It's all good. I'm impressed you were listening to Kill 'Em All when you were in fifth grade!

Dec 16, 2013 at 8:41 AM Post #12,517 of 29,663

I always have to get on here and defend Metallica even though I haven't really liked anything since And Justice For All.

It's important to respect them historically in terms of their place in Metal history. As one of the older posters on these pages, I think it's partly generational. I don't mean to come off like your Dad or Uncle, but TBH, If you weren't alive and old enough to purchase records in the 80's then it's hard to understand. I'm of the age that was equally influenced by classic rock, alternative rock, punk and hard rock and HM.

I'm the same way about music that came before me was influential when I was a young kid or before I was born. If you want to be real, you need to do some research. Rock and metal have been around for a while now.

Case in point-Bob Dylan. My parents generation were out of their minds crazy about Dylan. I liked him well enough, but didn't get it.

Recently, I've developed an interest in folk...partially inspired from bands like Agalloch. Along the way I've learned that before the 1960's, folk artists mostly recorded old music handed down generation to generation. "old timey" Appalachian music, protest songs....

Dylan was one of the first people in the 60's to write most of his own songs in the folk format. He changed music history forever. In a couple of albums, he pretty much single handedly originated the "singer songwriter" genre that I took for granted for always existing. Then, he went electric and arguably originated the genre of folk rock. I did not know that. A kid now that saw Dylan today would probably say, who's that crazy old dude. Of course, you could say the same thing about Ozzy.

Jump ahead 20 years, most of what passed for popular metal was Zeppelin (The Beatles of heavy Metal IMO), Black Sabbath (The rolling Stones), NWOBHM and hair metal (I.e., Motley Crue). It was really lame. Punk get heavier and metal and punk fused...that development is critical to understand the changes in metal in the 90's and extreme metal.

Metallica may not have been the first to combine punk/hardcore stylings and traditional metal-Motorhead probably was-but they certainly opened the doorways to the public. They were the most important metal band in the 80's in the U.S. IMO-maybe not the underground-but for all the kids out there that weren't that plugged in and just wanted to bang their heads to something that sounded fresh and authentic.

And yeah, they not that great now. But, The Rolling Stones haven't been great since the late 70's.

Excellent breakdown Mark. I think  you and I and Redcarmoose are probably the oldest guys on this thread. One thing these younger guys don't understand is that back before say 95 u didnt have such easy access and information about new music. Nobody had a PC and the internet was unheard of. Metal magazines if u could find them or the rare radio show were all we had unless u lived in a HUGE city. U had to really watch your money because u couldnt steal free music off the internet. U had to actually BUY a record. Metallica was a revelation for me at the time.I saw Metallica twice in one summer back in 86 in the DC area. They were touring with Ozzy on the Ultimate Sin album. Hetfield was like 18 years old. Awesome! They were just badass in the 80s. Iron Maiden, Judas Priest also very very big in my life then. Motley Crue's Shout at the Devil was cool too.

Dec 16, 2013 at 8:58 AM Post #12,518 of 29,663

Excellent breakdown Mark. I think  you and I and Redcarmoose are probably the oldest guys on this thread. One thing these younger guys don't understand is that back before say 95 u didnt have such easy access and information about new music. Nobody had a PC and the internet was unheard of. Metal magazines if u could find them or the rare radio show were all we had unless u lived in a HUGE city. U had to really watch your money because u couldnt steal free music off the internet. U had to actually BUY a record. Metallica was a revelation for me at the time.I saw Metallica twice in one summer back in 86 in the DC area. They were touring with Ozzy on the Ultimate Sin album. Hetfield was like 18 years old. Awesome! They were just badass in the 80s. Iron Maiden, Judas Priest also very very big in my life then. Motley Crue's Shout at the Devil was cool too.

Very cool. I didn't see them until much later-And Justice tour when they were already becoming mainstream. But it was a great show. The Cult opened. All my alternative rock friends came to see the Cult (who actaully weren't really on their game that night-even though I liked the Cult). My alt rock left looking like they had survived WWII. It was great.

All those bands you listed were what I was into back then, too. Like you said, you had to really go out and find music. Shout At the Devil-one of the best albums in a much picked on genre. That was a good album, tho. Red Hot and Ten Seconds to Love!

Dec 16, 2013 at 10:03 AM Post #12,519 of 29,663
Yeah, metal mags and going to the music store to find album covers I thought looked cool were the way back in the day. I was just a kid of course. I found out about death metal by seeing Cannibal Corpse 'play' Hammer Smashed Face on Ace Ventura. Hearing the intensity of that opening riff followed by chris Barnes' vocals equaled love at first listen. Once I started going to concerts the flood gates opened up. My first concert ever was GWAR with DRI (or Bad Religion, I forget) back in 1996. Things have changed for sure. When you get on sites like Bandcamp it's truly too much music one person could ever digest in a lifetime.

But yeah, you guys are old! :D

Dec 16, 2013 at 3:20 PM Post #12,520 of 29,663
Saw And Justice For All at the Long Beach Arena. Queensryche opened for Metallica. And even though they were playing their greatest work, Operation Mindcrime, everyone wanted Metallica so they ripped the seats apart.

We learned about great music from friends older brothers. In 2000 there was a great extreme music magazine called Ancient Ceramonies. They had great and real music reviews. Then there was always Terrorizer Magazine from the UK. The cover CD always had a couple good songs on it.

Used CD stores were always a great place to demo CDs of bands you never heard. It seems the Internet just keeps getting better and better with metal. I can spend a whole night watching metal on You Tube.:D

I guess gone are the days when you would buy music just on the look of the cover, with a 50/50 chance to win or loose.

Dec 16, 2013 at 3:46 PM Post #12,521 of 29,663
Not EXACTLY about Metal itself, but some website asked a few metal musicians what are their favourite electronic artists. Interesting...

http://societeperrier.com/blog/metal-meets-edm-24-of-heavy-metals-finest-tell-us-who-their-favorite-djs-are/#.Uq89fOVGZez

Dec 16, 2013 at 5:42 PM Post #12,522 of 29,663
Saw And Justice For All at the Long Beach Arena. Queensryche opened for Metallica. And even though they were playing their greatest work, Operation Mindcrime, everyone wanted Metallica so they ripped the seats apart.

We learned about great music from friends older brothers. In 2000 there was a great extreme music magazine called Ancient Ceramonies. They had great and real music reviews. Then there was always Terrorizer Magazine from the UK. The cover CD always had a couple good songs on it.

Used CD stores were always a great place to demo CDs of bands you never heard. It seems the Internet just keeps getting better and better with metal. I can spend a whole night watching metal on You Tube.
biggrin.gif

I guess gone are the days when you would buy music just on the look of the cover, with a 50/50 chance to win or loose.

Well said. I feel so much more in tune with what is out there due to the Internet. There's no way, I'd know about all the interesting metal that's out there.   It's almost too much to absorb. But, it's great to be able read, listen and get into new music. And, not just metal. All kinds of music.

Whatever you think of them, look at the phenomenon of Deafheaven. I've been looking at a lot of lists. It's not just super trendy Pitchfork. Every online music list is literally schiiiiting on themselves over Deafheaven. I don't think that would have happened back in the day. If it had, maybe all the cool kids would have been turned on to some of the stuff we were listening to. I think early DM  would have caught on quicker. But, maybe it's a good thing it didn't.

That said, I love a good record store. I've got one place I can still go to-Record and Tape Traders. There used to be a chain of them in the area-now just down to one I know of. It's sad. I love going in looking through CDs, listening to some of them and so on. Soon, there maybe no more....

Dec 16, 2013 at 6:27 PM Post #12,524 of 29,663
haven't listened to this in forever 

A carnival for the human race
Cotton candy, happy face
A child talking with his mouth full
Girlfriend gets stuffed animal

A festive mood is all around
Another world is what we've found
Step right up, let's make a deal
Ride the ferris wheel

You know there's something lurking underneath the shape
With a mask over it's head and makeup on his face
Will Warner Brothers put our record on the shelf?
Take a look in the mirror and see the clown in yourself

Spinning
Grinning
Believing
Deceiving
Whirling
Twirling
Confusing
Amusing
Discovery
Recovery
Inherency
Transparency
Fusion
Conclusion
Reality
Fatality

If you want to know what's behind the show
You ride my carousel and enter life's jail cell
Love and blood begin to meld, you've lost the self that you once held
Merry go round your head - awake, asleep, alive, or dead.

The clown that painted a smile on you
Is now the one unmasking you
Animated scenes unwind
Dormant figures come to life

Entangled in your own web
A twisted tunnel overhead
A glimpse of light, a drop of dew
You slide into the swimming pool

A roller coaster ride into the rivers of your mind
The currents merge, your feelings surge, your life's a pantomime
Beauty is the spiral going round & round the beast
Without the vampire effect the carnival is deceased