Lets Talk Metal
Dec 16, 2013 at 9:09 PM Post #12,526 of 29,638
need some help fellas. I have a copy of Megadeths Killing is my Business.... and the cover has the parental advisory sticker which should indicate a non censored CD right? Well when I played the CD the song "These Boots are Made for Walking" had a lot of stuff bleeped out. Did someone put the censored CD in a non censored box or is the bleeped stuff part of the song or what?  Help...

Dec 16, 2013 at 10:12 PM Post #12,527 of 29,638

Dec 16, 2013 at 10:14 PM Post #12,528 of 29,638
  need some help fellas. I have a copy of Megadeths Killing is my Business.... and the cover has the parental advisory sticker which should indicate a non censored CD right? Well when I played the CD the song "These Boots are Made for Walking" had a lot of stuff bleeped out. Did someone put the censored CD in a non censored box or is the bleeped stuff part of the song or what?  Help...

The album features the first of many covers performed by Megadeth: a speed metal version of Nancy Sinatra's classic "These Boots Are Made for Walkin'", with lyrics altered by Mustaine.[8] The song sparked controversy in later years when the song's original author, Lee Hazlewood, deemed Mustaine's changes to be "vile and offensive" and demanded that the song be removed from the album. Under threat of legal action, the song was removed from all pressings released after 1995.[9] In 2002, however, the album was re-released with an edited version of the song, with the altered lyrics bleeped.[8] In the 2002 reissue liner notes, Mustaine is strongly critical of Hazlewood, and notes that Hazlewood received royalties for almost ten years before objecting to the altered version.[8]

Looks like you have the 2002 copy.

I am glad I held onto the original CDs of Megadeths work. Dave redid them a couple years ago and changed lyrics as well as other stuff from the original.

Dec 16, 2013 at 10:56 PM Post #12,529 of 29,638
Yeah, metal mags and going to the music store to find album covers I thought looked cool were the way back in the day. I was just a kid of course. I found out about death metal by seeing Cannibal Corpse 'play' Hammer Smashed Face on Ace Ventura. Hearing the intensity of that opening riff followed by chris Barnes' vocals equaled love at first listen. Once I started going to concerts the flood gates opened up. My first concert ever was GWAR with DRI (or Bad Religion, I forget) back in 1996. Things have changed for sure. When you get on sites like Bandcamp it's truly too much music one person could ever digest in a lifetime.

But yeah, you guys are old! :D

Maybe I'm old too, cause I distinctly remember picking the album I was going to blow my lawn mowing money on based on cover art alone. Not sure i even know where to go buy a cd these days. Growing up in nowhere Florida, we didn't have magazines. We got Z-Rock around 86 or so, but the bible thumpers shot that down with a quickness. I remember hearing Helloween's Keeper of the Seven Keys and thinking holy sh!t this is cool. It was mostly word of mouth though.

I did have a cousin who lived in W Palm Beach who visited every other year. He would bring the good stuff. Morbid Angel, Death, and SLAYER! I remember hearing South of Heaven the first time and practically crapping my pants! Haven't been amazed like that in a long time.

First show: Skid Row opening for Bon Jovi (lame)
Second was better: Primus/Rush

Dec 17, 2013 at 12:12 AM Post #12,530 of 29,638
And the other ways to hear music was tape trading and the radio. Metallica had a tape trading army. Even though they were fuzzy 3rd generation tapes at times, everyone loved them. There were these folks selling them mail-order too!

Local radio stations would have late metal shows. Let's not forget MTV!

Record stores would actually get in-store demo records. They had a gold stamp saying that it was promotional. If you knew the owners they would let you look over and listen to the demo stack.

Dec 17, 2013 at 12:40 AM Post #12,531 of 29,638
Just wondering if any of you that listen to In Flames find the early albums like whoracle and colony poorly mixed and if there were any remasters of the CDs? I find the vocals to be placed way too far behind the instruments (maybe some people like this, I dunno), which is kind of annoying as these are some of their better albums.

Dec 17, 2013 at 4:07 AM Post #12,532 of 29,638
Just wondering if any of you that listen to In Flames find the early albums like whoracle and colony poorly mixed and if there were any remasters of the CDs? I find the vocals to be placed way too far behind the instruments (maybe some people like this, I dunno), which is kind of annoying as these are some of their better albums.

I only have the 2008/2009 Reloaded remastered ones. I like the guitar in front, though never heard the original CDs?

I have both the original Enthroned Darkness Triumphant and the Reloaded. Reloaded sounds miles better. One of my best CDs.

Dec 17, 2013 at 4:40 AM Post #12,533 of 29,638
I only have the 2008/2009 Reloaded remastered ones. I like the guitar in front, though never hear the original CDs?

I have both the original Enthroned Darkness Triumphant and the Reloaded. Reloaded sounds miles better. One of my best CDs.

I guess it could just the presentation that the band/other people like. I guess I like my music to have a balance between vocals and instruments. I do not think either of my CDs are the reloaded ones though (do they say reloaded on the case?). I know my colony is the Deluxe one. I find heir newer albums have a better balance to them. Granted those albums are a complete mixed bag, but I still enjoy come clarity and Sounds of a playground fading. I hope the Clayman cd I just ordered is the reloaded one. Neither of the cds sound like poor recording, just awkward mixing in my opinion.

I am a pretty new metal fan overall, especially when it comes to In Flames. So maybe I am not used to the presentation of older metal yet. I know a few older albums I listened to have a similar presentation. However this being said, I do like the recordings and mixings done by metal blade. They continuously do a quality job imo.

Dec 17, 2013 at 5:07 AM Post #12,534 of 29,638
I guess it could just the presentation that the band/other people like. I guess I like my music to have a balance between vocals and instruments. I do not think either of my CDs are the reloaded ones though (do they say reloaded on the case?). I know my colony is the Deluxe one. I find heir newer albums have a better balance to them. Granted those albums are a complete mixed bag, but I still enjoy come clarity and Sounds of a playground fading. I hope the Clayman cd I just ordered is the reloaded one. Neither of the cds sound like poor recording, just awkward mixing in my opinion.

I am a pretty new metal fan overall, especially when it comes to In Flames. So maybe I am not used to the presentation of older metal yet. I know a few older albums I listened to have a similar presentation. However this being said, I do like the recordings and mixings done by metal blade. They continuously do a quality job imo.

Reloaded CDs by Nuclear Blast have rounded cases. Not regular CD cases with sharp edges. They also have really thin paper inserts not thick like regular CD booklet stock. They say Reloaded too. There are only four Reloaded In Flames Remasters.

Colony, Clayman, Jester Race and Whoracle.

Dec 17, 2013 at 5:09 AM Post #12,535 of 29,638
Ne Obliviscars is entering the studio again!
Consider me hyped.
Could someone please convince them to master the new album a bit more dynamic?
Kthxbai

Dec 17, 2013 at 5:18 AM Post #12,536 of 29,638
Reloaded CDs by Nuclear Blast have rounded cases. Not regular CD cases with sharp edges. They also have really thin paper inserts not thick like regular CD booklet stock. They say Reloaded too. There are only four Reloaded In Flames Remasters.

Colony, Clayman, Jester Race and Whoracle.

Alright thanks for the info. Those are the good In flames too. I may have to re-purchase them in the future. 

Btw not sure if you know this but I am pretty sure those rounded edge cases are called super jewel cases.

Dec 17, 2013 at 8:09 AM Post #12,537 of 29,638
Let's not forget MTV!

Oh yeah, Headbanger's Ball! They actually played some decent tunes back then.

So the Defheaven thing is kind of puzzling to me. I'd imagine the vocals alone would turn most non-metalheads off. That's usually a major gripe for most people, even some metalheads. I personally don't like the album too much, and can barely get through it. In fact, I'm not sure I've listened to the whole thing sice I bought it a few months ago. It's just too uplifting sounding.

Is Sunbather the beginning of mainstream extreme metal?

Dec 17, 2013 at 12:01 PM Post #12,540 of 29,638
Well, I mean extreme metal (death metal, black metal, grind, funeral doom, etc). Korn, Slipknot, and whatever are more like nu-metal.

I need to listen to it some more. Actually, it is one of my favorites this year. But, I've put it aside over the past couple of months.

My take:I used to work in theater.  It's a funny thing, when the right combination of collaborative elements jell. A good script, the right casting, direction, set and light design. It's magical when everything comes together. You can't predict it. If there was a secret code, then every show would be great. But sometimes the right synergy-combination of elements just happens.

I think that's what happened here. No doubt every poster on this list cold rattle off albums they feel are more deserving. I could argue, that hardcore has some kind of street cred coolness amongst hipster reviewers (after all Mogwai titled their last album, Hardcore Will Never Die, but You Will), and that there is enough of a hardcore crossover to the vocals or much USBM in general....but I'm just grasping at straws.

I do think-taking love for extreme, dirty metal aside-the album touches on a cinematic, sweeping, cathartic feel that transcends the genre-and maybe that makes it feel less legit to some metal fans. But, I dig it.

Now maybe if they were recording today, Emperor could have done the same thing. They nailed that epic BM sound, but, man you gotta get past the production.....yes, I know, that's the charm
happy_face1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back