Lets Talk Metal
Dec 14, 2013 at 3:42 PM Post #12,482 of 29,660
Sure would be nice to find a design worth living with for life

Dec 14, 2013 at 7:57 PM Post #12,484 of 29,660
Just thought of one, a cockatoo with corpsepaint

Dec 14, 2013 at 11:04 PM Post #12,486 of 29,660
  I never understand why people who get one tattoo, always end up wanting to get another one and another one. I don't see the appeal of it. Well, I guess that's why I don't have tattoos lol. 

If you got one I bet you'd understand. :wink:

It's a unique feeling (a unique sort of pain) and (for me at least) it's extremely therapeutic. My tattoos are the only thing I really like about my appearance. They're helping me deal with my social anxiety as well.

It sounds silly, but they're really, really important for me. They've helped me in a lot of ways to overcome a lot of things in my life (and the more I get the better I feel). They've also helped me make friends along the way and helped me meet some amazing artists.

They may not be for everybody, but they're really special to me.

EDIT: Got another today from the same artist that did the runes yesterday. Filled up more space on my feet, but it's not metal related so I won't post it.

Dec 14, 2013 at 11:16 PM Post #12,487 of 29,660

It's a unique feeling (a unique sort of pain) and (for me at least) it's extremely therapeutic. My tattoos are the only thing I really like about my appearance. They're helping me deal with my social anxiety as well.

It sounds silly, but they're really, really important for me. They've helped me in a lot of ways to overcome a lot of things in my life (and the more I get the better I feel). They've also helped me make friends along the way and helped me meet some amazing artists.

EDIT: Got another today from the same artist that did the runes yesterday. Filled up more space on my feet, but it's not metal related so I won't post it.

I see, well if they do good for you then they are good. Btw, I'm guessing you are into folk metal, since you got runes? 

Dec 14, 2013 at 11:20 PM Post #12,488 of 29,660
  I see, well if they do good for you then they are good. Btw, I'm guessing you are into folk metal, since you got runes? 

Absolutely, but this was specifically a tribute to Amon Amarth (they're lyrics from 'Runes to My Memory'). Death Metal has always been my favorite, and Amon Amarth were one of my 'gateway' bands so they've had a lot of influence on my listening for years.

And just for fun, and to keep on track...Enjoy the video for that song, too.

Cuz it's super good.

Dec 14, 2013 at 11:25 PM Post #12,489 of 29,660

I have a friend with a lot of tattoos, he's also the quieter type and has said something similar. He got a big Opeth "O" on his upper back. I can appreciate a good tattoo, but it's not for me. 

Dec 14, 2013 at 11:33 PM Post #12,490 of 29,660

I have a friend with a lot of tattoos, he's also the quieter type and has said something similar. He got a big Opeth "O" on his upper back. I can appreciate a good tattoo, but it's not for me. 

I'm trying to avoid more direct band references now. I redid my Gojira tattoo (it's now a much less obvious tribute to the L'Efant Sauvage' cover), and my Mastodon tattoo is obviously the cover of Blood Mountain, but I feel the runes are subtle to anyone that 1) can't read runes and 2) aren't familiar with Amon Amarth. They just look 'nifty' to everyone else.

I'm planning a Tesseract reference in my right sleeve (I'm going to put something in one), and maybe the a tribute to the new Ulcerate cover (Vermis) as a background element (I need something to fill negative space in a part of it).

They're just there for me, really, as music is a big part of my life and it's fun to work in stuff like that in larger pieces. :) Plus I want to see if anyone will 'get them' along the way.

Dec 14, 2013 at 11:55 PM Post #12,491 of 29,660

I'm trying to avoid more direct band references now. I redid my Gojira tattoo (it's now a much less obvious tribute to the L'Efant Sauvage' cover), and my Mastodon tattoo is obviously the cover of Blood Mountain, but I feel the runes are subtle to anyone that 1) can't read runes and 2) aren't familiar with Amon Amarth. They just look 'nifty' to everyone else.

I'm planning a Tesseract reference in my right sleeve (I'm going to put something in one), and maybe the a tribute to the new Ulcerate cover (Vermis) as a background element (I need something to fill negative space in a part of it).

They're just there for me, really, as music is a big part of my life and it's fun to work in stuff like that in larger pieces. :) Plus I want to see if anyone will 'get them' along the way.

I would never get a band tattoo, for fear of them starting to produce really bad music and then being stuck with the tattoo. Unless they've already broken up.

Dec 15, 2013 at 12:16 AM Post #12,492 of 29,660
I would never get a band tattoo, for fear of them starting to produce really bad music and then being stuck with the tattoo. Unless they've already broken up.

That's the other reason I'm just going vague references. Even if they get ****ty it still works as a good tattoo and nobody knows it's a band thing. :)

Dec 15, 2013 at 3:39 AM Post #12,493 of 29,660
In 1994 my girl friend wanted us to get small blue matching dolphins across our shoulders.SO glad I didn't.

I worked with a long time prison member who had the best tattoos. Giant monster like prison buildings with teeth, and anatomically correct nude women across his whole body. Prison tattoos have a special look all to themselves. We did get strange looks at the market though.

Dec 15, 2013 at 5:55 AM Post #12,494 of 29,660

That is the only reason I see for anything appearance related but it's a fine line between being too obvious and utterly repulsive/rediculous to everyone who doesn't "get it".  For example Haken's album Aquarius is awesome to me in many ways, but how could I explain a mermaid tattoo for anyone unfamiliar with it? 

I'll probably get one one day but I'm already 28 and haven't found one yet...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back