Lets Talk Metal
Dec 13, 2013 at 2:32 AM Post #12,466 of 29,638
I've always found it hard to listen to free jazz, and honestly I don't even see the appeal of listening to out-of-key playing. I liked Exivious' first album because they didn't push that too far. Liminal is a bit harder to like.

Nice collection!

Thx, those are from such a long time ago. They are from around 96.

Dec 13, 2013 at 3:11 AM Post #12,467 of 29,638
So nobody wants to write down his thoughts about the new Cynic song here?

Dec 13, 2013 at 8:08 AM Post #12,468 of 29,638
So nobody wants to write down his thoughts about the new Cynic song here?

Granted, only heard it on Youtube. Sounds decent, but lacking in the low end. I don't really like the vocals. Does not sound like the Cynic I grew up on in the late 80's, early 90's.

Dec 13, 2013 at 8:20 AM Post #12,469 of 29,638
  I've listened to plenty avant-garde and experimental music, so its nothing that I found too out of the ordinary. The music itself is good though.

Anyway some death/thrash influenced by jazz and prog.

Well, I just used the term free jazz generically. The album in it's entitity is really quite varied with a lot of soft-loud dyanamcs.

Dec 13, 2013 at 10:23 AM Post #12,470 of 29,638
Granted, only heard it on Youtube. Sounds decent, but lacking in the low end. I don't really like the vocals. Does not sound like the Cynic I grew up on in the late 80's, early 90's.

I'm one of these persons who like Traced in the Air more than Focus so...no problem with the vocals :)
It does lack a bit on the low end.
The song isn't that special, but makes me confident that the new album isn't going to even more aetherial than the Carbon EP (which I also love).

Dec 13, 2013 at 12:13 PM Post #12,471 of 29,638
I know I'm a little bit late to the party (okay, really late), but I'm hearing Witherscape for the first time now and it's incredible. I should not have waited so long.

Dec 13, 2013 at 12:40 PM Post #12,472 of 29,638
I'm still waiting. Wanted to buy Starcraft, found cheap Witherscape, ordered both and... 

...after a few days it turned out they couldn't get SC (it was marked as "available" - yeah, sure, whatever), so I'm left with waiting for the album to arrive. At least they have a point in the city where I can collect it so  I don't have to pay for postage.

Dec 13, 2013 at 4:28 PM Post #12,474 of 29,638
I'm one of these persons who like Traced in the Air more than Focus so...no problem with the vocals :)
It does lack a bit on the low end.
The song isn't that special, but makes me confident that the new album isn't going to even more aetherial than the Carbon EP (which I also love).

I hear a lot of bass though. Its near impossible to figure out production quality from a low-bit YT stream, but I wonder if Paul came through!

Dec 13, 2013 at 11:56 PM Post #12,475 of 29,638

More metal tattoos. Amon Amarth this time.

"Raise a stone for all to see, runes carved to my memory." In Futhark runes of course. I always hated lyric tattoos like this, but I kinda wanted to ham it up by making a stupid tattoo awesome. I love these.

Few more pickups tonight when I went to the shop with my friend (she got a new record player and had a list of Black Metal she needed).

Ulcerate - The Destoryers of All
Lamb of God - As the Palaces Burn (10th Anv. Remaster)

Dec 14, 2013 at 4:00 AM Post #12,476 of 29,638
Checking out the Caladan Brood album, heard they had a similar style to Summoning. I can definitely hear the influence on certain tracks.

Dec 14, 2013 at 8:54 AM Post #12,479 of 29,638
The average playingtime of a song in my music library is roughly six minutes and thirty seconds.
Proves that I don't listen to Grindcore or Thrash Metal :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back