Lets Talk Metal
Jul 11, 2013 at 3:53 PM Post #10,456 of 29,664
Quote:
Thinking about Cult of Luna-

The Beyond (2003) and and Vertikal are both very heavy examples of posthardcore/sludge something er other metal....contrasted with the most recent offerings of say, Neurosis and Isis which both have gone/went to more laid back sands....Honor and Decay damn near sounded like American folk music to me...in spots.I find post metal a limiting term because I think of bands like Red Sparrowes and CUL are much heavier.

The difference as I see is that The Beyond (doom gothcore?) follows more of a solid doom template albeit with layers of sound, whereas Vertikal allow them to show their nuanced atmospheric skills as seen particularly with their excellent "Slavation" and "Somewere Along the Highway". I think Vertikal is a return to heavier sound with all those cool electronics/programming and complex arrangements that are less evident on The Beyond.

But, as I said before, for straight up doom with, I guess some would call them, metalcore vocals, The Beyond is really satisfying in the same way that I find bands like Marduk and Gorgoroth to be satisfying in BM-that being they sever heads and crush souls.

Salvation has been thought of by many as their best-what's interesting about Salvation is that it came out in 2004, a year after The Beyond. The band, really changed their sound...more similar to later day Isis perhaps with quieter, prettier nuances...but still quite heavy in places.

Vertikal, of course comes out 10 years after The Beyond and in my mind returns to some of that heaviosity. I believe Vertikal will go down as being an equal to Salvation. Salvation may be more easy on the ears, though, and not as challenging a listen.

If you are a fan of said styles, check out the really crushing sludge sounds of The Beyond-I haven't heard to many bands nail it like CUL on The Beyond-I just love the sound of this album, it still makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up. Aggressive...it makes me want to break things...while Salvation is much more, uh? Contemplative....

Here are two samples:

Salvation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUweT_5TdmU

[size=small]The Beyond[/size]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vvsk0Jvvirg

Jul 11, 2013 at 4:39 PM Post #10,458 of 29,664
Quote:
Yeah love Fleshgod, but I got a really cool band that I'm gonna review very soon that I'm pretty sure you will dig.

get on it, the reviews have been a bit slow on metal fi and i'm looking for new music

:wink:  
beyersmile.png

Jul 12, 2013 at 12:02 AM Post #10,466 of 29,664

Some new death metal for all of you... featuring the most ridiculously long one-word album title I've ever seen.

Chthe'ilist - Amechth'ntaas'm'rriachth

Jul 12, 2013 at 1:30 AM Post #10,468 of 29,664
I was a HUGE Chthonic fan back when Seediq Bale was released. It seems they've gone a lot more melodic and folky, which I don't mind, but I will always miss their more black metal sound. I still say Dani, in my opinion, is one of the most underrated drummers in the scene. 

Since we've been talking about them, I figure I'd leave this here.

\

And here's a useless little trailer.

Jul 12, 2013 at 1:34 AM Post #10,469 of 29,664
I just got an email from Season of Mist telling me they didnt get enough copies of the limited splatter version of Septic Flesh's Esoptron :frowning2: so they are going to get me the grey version and a copy of the splatter version of Mystic Places of Dawn as recompense...I guess having the limited red and limited splatter for Mystic Places of Dawn would be neat -_-

Jul 12, 2013 at 2:03 AM Post #10,470 of 29,664
New Revocation track is pretty badass: http://www.metalsucks.net/2013/07/11/exclusive-track-premiere-revocations-invidious-featuring-the-banjo/

Enjoyed Existence is Futile, didn't care much for Chaos of Forms, thought this one had some promise though. 

Btw, random: if anybody else is interested (and as enamored of Sigh's Imaginary Sonicscape as I am), there is an awesome vinyl reissue that's finally shipping out this week here. Preordered my copy exactly two months before the estimated delivery date of July 17th, which pales in comparison to the years I've spent looking for a vinyl version of this album... Can't wait!! 

Although I don't even have my TT set up at the moment... Boo bears. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back