Lets Talk Metal
Jul 12, 2013 at 5:36 PM Post #10,486 of 29,663
Quote:
The new Devils Blood album could have been sooooo good :'(
Instead it's just okay.
Oh I'll really miss this band.
The first time I saw them live will forever be burned into my brain. Pure magic.

The only more intense live performance I ever witnessed, was Triptychons appearance at Wacken 2011.

Gojira play well live.

Jul 12, 2013 at 6:09 PM Post #10,487 of 29,663
Quote:
Gojira play well live.

Oh I'm sure about that!
But the thing is...I can count the Gojira songs I like with one hand and their performance overall is just sooooooo different compared to The Devils Blood :D

The Devils Blood had some kind of satanic shrine set up on the stage (was in a small club), incense and candles everywhere. They connected their songs with small improvised parts, so you really had no time to breath. It was a real audio journey or however you call that.
And I'll never forget the look of the lead guitarist. His eyes were screaming madness and total devotion to his music.
It was just unbelieveable.

Jul 12, 2013 at 8:57 PM Post #10,489 of 29,663
While I've not had the opportunity to listen to BM on many headphones (I can only imagine the reaction if I did this at meets lol) but...I did just enjoy the hell out of Windir's Arntor about an hour ago on my HE-500 
biggrin.gif
  Though, due to the recording nature of most BM albums, you're going to want something that is at least a bit forgiving, as some albums can sound pretty harsh (not always a bad thing IMO).

Jul 12, 2013 at 9:18 PM Post #10,490 of 29,663
agree with the above.  most BM / metal in general sounds just fantastic on my HE400, and pretty good on my ATHM50's.  i don't generally love metal on any of my sennheisers as i find them almost too warm and they can suck the aggression out of some recordings.  IMO orthos should make great metal cans because of their inherently high speed and generally excellent bass presentation.

Jul 12, 2013 at 9:30 PM Post #10,491 of 29,663
The only headphones I own are the AKG601. They work pretty well with BM, but I'm sure that they can't keep up with something like a HE-400 :p

My IEMs really seem to like BM :) Couldn't ask for more.

Jul 12, 2013 at 9:31 PM Post #10,492 of 29,663
Quote:
agree with the above.  most BM / metal in general sounds just fantastic on my HE400, and pretty good on my ATHM50's.  i don't generally love metal on any of my sennheisers as i find them almost too warm and they can suck the aggression out of some recordings.  IMO orthos should make great metal cans because of their inherently high speed and generally excellent bass presentation.

Agreed, and I've heard a few people say that a well powered HE-4 is the best HiFiMan for metal as it's the most airy sounding outside of the HE-6, but I think they're all more than suitable for the job, if not perfect.  My GR07 is also the best IEM I've found so far for just about every type of metal if anyone is looking for portability.

Jul 13, 2013 at 3:02 AM Post #10,493 of 29,663
I'm actually listening to Panopticon on my HE-6's through the emotiva mini-x and it sounds great (particularly the drumkit), though honestly, everything sounds great through these headphones. HFM have captured the perfect amount of airiness and clarity to capture realistic, engaging cymbal hits and crashes and overall aggression, while at the same time exhibiting a very visceral yet balanced bass; double-bass is rumbly yet not overpowering. Mids are extremely clean and transparent on these, and I'm able to hear more clearly the many layers of guitars that are, of course, prominent on metal records. Bottom line is, this headphone is a top-tier can yet is not unforgiving at all on black metal without having to be overly warm.

Jul 13, 2013 at 6:04 AM Post #10,494 of 29,663
Way more taste in equipment than music. 
wink.gif

Jul 13, 2013 at 3:59 PM Post #10,496 of 29,663
Quote:
question for the black-heads,
what is your favorite cans for this genre?

I had Eld by Enslaved on the other day.Sennheiser px100ii and ipod shuffle 1st gen.This is a good match and the cd sounded perfect and not harsh.I also have this on my nano 4th gen and its too harsh and not enjoyable.I prefer a nice sweet sound and do not like harsh treble.Immortal Pure holocaust also sounds good on the above combo.

Jul 14, 2013 at 2:11 PM Post #10,497 of 29,663

Project by At The Gates, Oxiplegatz member Alf Svensson. Fuzzy and buzzy melodic black metal punk with punky goth vocals. Totally different from his other bands, but cool! Check it out. 

If you like avant garde, spacy, theatrical black metal or dig bands like Korova, Manes, Arcturus, Ram-Zet, Le Grand Guignol or even Carach Angren and Saille, check out his other project Oxiplegatz.

Jul 14, 2013 at 2:32 PM Post #10,498 of 29,663
the guys with the HiFiman HE-500
what is the dac+amp combo have you got with the headphone?
i'm planing to get the he500 too but havent found suitable combo.

I only the 400's running an e17, but a magni/modi on the way. schiit rec'd the Asgard 2 when I mentioned I'm looking to go to the 500 but said the magni should still be pretty good with the 500....just not the he-6 LOL

Jul 14, 2013 at 4:07 PM Post #10,499 of 29,663
Quote:

Project by At The Gates, Oxiplegatz member Alf Svensson. Fuzzy and buzzy melodic black metal punk with punky goth vocals. Totally different from his other bands, but cool! Check it out. 

If you like avant garde, spacy, theatrical black metal or dig bands like Korova, Manes, Arcturus, Ram-Zet, Le Grand Guignol or even Carach Angren and Saille, check out his other project Oxiplegatz.

This is very good and different-ill investigate more

Jul 14, 2013 at 4:22 PM Post #10,500 of 29,663
Totally excited about new Ulcerate. Anyone.. woohoo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back