Lets Talk Metal
Feb 21, 2010 at 9:31 AM Post #886 of 29,664
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just wondering what style Ihsahn is? Is it basic thrash? It seems a little more atmospheric but not too over the top like lots of the doom metal and gothic that seems to overdo the wizards and warriors feel
biggrin.gif
Is there anything really similar around? I really like the "after" album.

Ihsahn's solo work is pretty much Progressive Metal, quite experimental and hints of Emperor-style blackmetal thrown here and there. Thats atleast what the earlier AngL album was.

Feb 21, 2010 at 9:50 AM Post #887 of 29,664
High On Fire - Snakes For The Divine. Released 23/2 but we received it at work (I work for a distribution company) like 5 days ago. It's kicking my ass so much it's not even funny. Probably my favorite after Surrounded By Thieves.

Feb 21, 2010 at 10:44 AM Post #888 of 29,664
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azathoth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don, be advised that bestial black/death metal is one of the most difficult subgenres to get into...the production values are very much on the kvlt (read: lo-fi) side, and the unrelenting one-dimensional approach may be too much for some.

I need to be in a certain mood to listen to bestial metal, on some days I can't stand more than one song hehehe.

I'm surprised you dig Teitanblood! Seven Chalices is one of those few albums that epitomizes TRUE horror.

I like the feeling that teitanblood gives me. It teleports me to another reality. Its like I am roaming hell myself and listening to the demons around me. Very scary indeed.
beerchug.gif

Feb 21, 2010 at 11:41 AM Post #889 of 29,664
I also want to add that listening to teitanblood liberates me somehow.

First time i turn it on I get an uneasy feeling as if i am committing a sin or doing something taboo...

then I keep listening and i get a little paranoid that there might be some otherworldly presence in my room...

Then I get into its groove for a while then I turn it off....

after that, there is some sort of relief that its done while at the same time a craving to do it again remains.

It is sort of like what one feels after riding a good rollercoaster.

Feb 21, 2010 at 4:12 PM Post #892 of 29,664
I have listened to Agalloch Pale Folklore and it is a very nice album. Haven't checked other albums from them.

Then I see a lot of you guys like doom/black metal. At least the last pages have been regarding those "obscure" genres.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveBSC /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Not everything works for me - I'm generally not a fan of extreme technical death, I need at least some sort of melody in there somewhere.

DaveBSC, finding good Technical Death bands is difficult. The first Tech Death I listened to (can't recall the band's name) was boring and I didn't enjoy it. After I found bands as Gorod, The Faceless, Quo Vadis, ... My interest towards them has increased exponentially. Plus it seems there are a lot of French - Canadian (Quebec) bands that play this kind of genre.

Oh and asmox, thanks a lot for those bands. That is definitely some of the stuff I am a lot into right now. Loving the Humanoid stuff.

Oh to add more bands you guys should check out, you can try Protest The Hero:
Y9aJ0ncWRvY

And also Between The Buried And Me (albums, Alaska; Colors)
s_bYyal5rDo

This song's intro is brutal.
biggrin.gif

EDIT:Intro and Autro
biggrin.gif
Oh and listen to Limb From Limb By Protest the Hero.

Both bands are very interesting.

Feb 21, 2010 at 4:46 PM Post #893 of 29,664
So i listened to Agalloch, not too shabby, but i think i prefer swallow the sun and paradise lost. And teitanblood didnt do anything for me unfortunately

And bullseye, im sure many will balk at the protest the hero song, but ive always heard of them but never actually checked them out, i really like that song
smily_headphones1.gif
thanks for putting that link up

Feb 21, 2010 at 5:01 PM Post #895 of 29,664
Quote:

Originally Posted by SoupRKnowva /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So i listened to Agalloch, not too shabby, but i think i prefer swallow the sun and paradise lost. And teitanblood didnt do anything for me unfortunately

And bullseye, im sure many will balk at the protest the hero song, but ive always heard of them but never actually checked them out, i really like that song
smily_headphones1.gif
thanks for putting that link up

Downloaded some songs, and Teitanblood is... different. Nice use of vocal effects though, it has to be listened with speakers for full effect.

Personally when it comes to atmosphere inducing music I prefer music with more defined, torturing horror atmosphere, like Wormphlegm. Teitanblood is more like demonic chaos all around, hard to follow as a music even if I try to listen it as just deathmetal. On right state of mind it can be quite creepy though, perhaps with the help of some alcohol.
bigsmile_face.gif

Feb 21, 2010 at 5:03 PM Post #896 of 29,664
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Downloaded some songs, and Teitanblood is... different. Nice use of vocal effects though, it has to be listened with speakers for full effect.

Personally I prefer music with more defined, torturing horror atmosphere, like Wormphlegm. Teitanblood is more like demonic chaos all around, hard to follow as a music. On right state of mind it can be quite creepy though, perhaps with the help of some alcohol.
bigsmile_face.gif

I dunno, i still find if im going for a demonic sound, i stick with the only black metal album ive found so far that i like, which is wormwood by Marduk, good stuff that one is though

Feb 21, 2010 at 5:13 PM Post #897 of 29,664
Quote:

Originally Posted by SoupRKnowva /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I dunno, i still find if im going for a demonic sound, i stick with the only black metal album ive found so far that i like, which is wormwood by Marduk, good stuff that one is though

Try Gehenna - WW album

http://www.myspace.com/gehennaofficial

Feb 22, 2010 at 12:07 AM Post #899 of 29,664
Any consensus on how Dream Theater's stuff is mastered? The album 'Black Clouds & Silver Linings' sounds great to me. I don't hear any clipping or artifacts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back