Lets Talk Metal
Feb 20, 2010 at 9:12 PM Post #871 of 29,662
I've heard Belus in its entirety, and it's exceeded all my expectations. It may not be the greatest Burzum album, but it stands among Varg's best work. Those simple riffs and melodies are a breath of fresh air nowadays.

Stuck on repeat: "Glemselens Elv" and "Kaimadalthas' Nedstigning".

Feb 20, 2010 at 9:27 PM Post #872 of 29,662
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What a thread! I just finished reading it all. I am definitely starting to get addicted to metal... Currently I am really loving Swallow the Sun. I will definitely be watching this thread to check for some great releases.

Seconding MaZa's recommendation of Draconian - Arcane Rain Fell. Similar in style to Swallow The Sun. Arcane Rain Fell is a monster of a death/doom album, and Lisa Johansson's powerful, desperate vocals (I wish she would have more vocal parts) really claw at your soul. The epic "Death, Come Near Me" in particular has this suffocatingly desolate thing going.

Feb 20, 2010 at 11:25 PM Post #873 of 29,662
I am also loving different styles too. Agaloch is really great for me as well as Ceremonial Castings. I am also liking Havok... feels like a new justice for all style cd to me.

And to Lord Azathoth and my other metal mentors in this thread... I will definitely give Draconian and the others a try

Feb 20, 2010 at 11:34 PM Post #874 of 29,662
Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveBSC /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If you're willing to branch out a bit from Doom metal into some other styles, Opeth, Be'lakor, and Before The Dawn aren't too big of a leap from Swallow The Sun.

Yes I am a branching out kind of guy
biggrin.gif
. I am listening to as many styles as possible and already love the bands I mentioned above for example among others. When I start getting into stuff, I actually like to listen to as many different styles as possible more than focus on just one. I'll only start focusing when I have heard enough of everything to be totally confident in saying that one style really stands up among the rest.

Thanks again to this Fantabulous Thread

Feb 21, 2010 at 2:06 AM Post #875 of 29,662
Yo, if you want something more crushing and agressive than melodic doom:

Worship - Last Tapes Before Doomsday, Dooom
disEMBOWELMENT - Transcendence into the Peripheral
Skepticism - Alloy
Thergothon - Stream From The Heavens
Esoteric - Subconscious Dissolution into the Continuum

Feb 21, 2010 at 3:00 AM Post #876 of 29,662
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes I am a branching out kind of guy
biggrin.gif
. I am listening to as many styles as possible and already love the bands I mentioned above for example among others. When I start getting into stuff, I actually like to listen to as many different styles as possible more than focus on just one. I'll only start focusing when I have heard enough of everything to be totally confident in saying that one style really stands up among the rest.

Thanks again to this Fantabulous Thread

I know exactly what you mean about branching out. When I first discovered that there was an entire world of metal beyond Megadeth, Slayer, and Metallica maybe ten years ago, the first style that really grabbed my attention was melodic death metal, aka Gothenburg metal. I quickly grabbed a bunch of releases from At The Gates and In Flames, and from there moved on to Soilwork, Arch Enemy, Dark Tranquility, and Hypocrisy.

From there I found that the Finns have their own style of extreme melodic death, and got in to Insomnium, Omnium Gatherum, Norther, Children of Bodom, and Mors Principum Est. I've been branching out every since into Black, Death, Doom, Folk, Gothic, Progressive, and Thrash styles.

Not everything works for me - I'm generally not a fan of extreme technical death, I need at least some sort of melody in there somewhere. I also can't stand metalcore or "mallcore" styles with whiny emo vocals opposite growling. Power metal also doesn't do it for me. Unlike metalcore I recognize that some power bands have huge amounts of talent and I respect that, but the soaring vocals always come off as cheesy to me.

One style that I have wanted to get into but I've struggled with is symphonic metal. Too many of the vocalists in bands like Nightwish or Epica just come off as too cherubic or whiny, and until recently, I couldn't find a symphonic metal band that I like. I just discovered a band called Delain though, and their album April Rain is brilliant. Their sound reminds me a bit of Eternal Tears of Sorrow which is one of my favorite bands, and Charlotte Wessels has just the right voice that I've never been able to find in a symphonic band before.

Feb 21, 2010 at 4:23 AM Post #878 of 29,662
Just wondering what style Ihsahn is? Is it basic thrash? It seems a little more atmospheric but not too over the top like lots of the doom metal and gothic that seems to overdo the wizards and warriors feel
biggrin.gif
Is there anything really similar around? I really like the "after" album.

Feb 21, 2010 at 4:27 AM Post #879 of 29,662
Among the melodic sounding stuff I really like Agaloch too since it doesn't have that feel of cheapness to the sound. I like the folk type guitar riffs too. Any more like this or is Agaloch just the bomb!

Feb 21, 2010 at 4:43 AM Post #880 of 29,662
Hmm I was just thinking. If I was to classify which band among these two "fantasy/adventure" sounding bands was a little cheesy and which one was cool meaning if they were movies... one like excalibur the movie and the other one xena warrior princess the series hehehe......... I would say Paradise Losts Faith divides us-death unites us would be the former and Dark Tranquilitys the gallery would be the latter
biggrin.gif

Thats what my noob to metal ears are telling me anyway
biggrin.gif

Feb 21, 2010 at 5:02 AM Post #882 of 29,662
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azathoth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Checking in. Gotta love that dirty, grimy sound. I won't mention the past masters as i'm sure you already know them.

Some of recent faves are Teitanblood, Obliteration, Ignivomous, Festered, Excoriate (Ger), Ribspreader, Revolting, Infinitum Obscure, Pathogen (Phl) and Graveyard (Esp).
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Azathoth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very much so, Seven Chalices is firmly entrenched in my top releases list for this year. I find that when listening to bestial metal, I usually reach for a dark headphone such as a Senn, to offset the grating production that's quite common for these bands. Some bestial death/black metal recommendations (artists - albums), the best of this niche genre IMO:

Blasphemy - Fallen Angel of Doom
Sarcófago - INRI, Rotting, The Laws of Scourge
Impiety (Sgp) - Skull*****ing Armageddon, Paramount Evil, Terroreign
Diocletian - Doom Cult
Witchrist - Curses of Annihilation
Revenge (Can) - Infiltration.Downfall.Death, Triumph.Genocide.Antichrist
Grave Miasma - Exalted Emanation
Archgoat - The Light-Devouring Darkness
Morbosidad - Cojete a Dios por el Culo
Grave Desecrator - Sign of Doom
Conqueror - War Cult Supremacy
Deiphago - Satanik Eon, Filipino Antichrist

I'd have to say that Teitanblood, Diocletian, Witchrist, Deiphago and Grave Miasma all released quality bestial metal this year.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Whoops found some... Sorry for having the wall of posts. Just getting excited here

Feb 21, 2010 at 6:22 AM Post #883 of 29,662
Just an FYI, Dark Tranquility is streaming their entire new album on their Myspace page. I'm really liking it. Can't say the same for the new Rotting Christ unfortunately. I got bored almost immediately. Much weaker than the last one.

Feb 21, 2010 at 8:38 AM Post #885 of 29,662
Don, be advised that bestial black/death metal is one of the most difficult subgenres to get into...the production values are very much on the kvlt (read: lo-fi) side, and the unrelenting one-dimensional approach may be too much for some.

I need to be in a certain mood to listen to bestial metal, on some days I can't stand more than one song hehehe.

I'm surprised you dig Teitanblood! Seven Chalices is one of those few albums that epitomizes TRUE horror.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back