Lets Talk Metal
Jan 11, 2010 at 5:09 AM Post #781 of 29,662
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meliboeus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Got this vinyl a couple of days ago, great album i'd say after a few listens, i should soon receive a copy of Panopticon, which is their best according to many.

Sound quality is top notch, 2x heavyweight vinyls and clean production, extreme clipping and brickwalling seems absent here...the mix between instruments and vocals is perfect, with none overpowering another.

I've been meaning to get Wavering Radiant for a while now, but I've been putting it off. Have you heard any of Isis's other albums? How does it compare?

Jan 11, 2010 at 9:47 AM Post #782 of 29,662
What are you guys spinning right now? In another forum, votes are being held for best of 00's so I'm gonna give Immolation's Close to a World and Slough Feg's Deadman a listen to pass my infinite judgement

Jan 11, 2010 at 6:26 PM Post #783 of 29,662
Quote:

Originally Posted by hardRAWKR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been meaning to get Wavering Radiant for a while now, but I've been putting it off. Have you heard any of Isis's other albums? How does it compare?

Unfortunately not, as i said in my post i've ordered Panopticon and ITAOT, but from the USA it can take ages..i could just buy the CDs, but Aaron Turner's artworks deserve a full 12" cover.

Wavering has been well received by fans of their first works according to reviews i read here and there, and personally i'd recommend it to anyone.

Instrumentally it's just brilliant...they pushed forward the trademark formula of this kind of music, tracks are well linked together by the reprise of some key riffs, which blend together into deep atmospheric soundscapes,which take up 90% of the album, vocals are turned up a bit more in the mix than their previous works, but are mostly melodic.

Some listeners might not like the keyboards on this record, they are high in the mix and contribute much to the music...the synth tone used can sound cheesy and reminescent of 80's watered down prog rock, but i think thy contribute to create a "spacey" atmosphere and fit the music well...i hope this is the direction ISIS will take for the rest of their career, all out progression and avoid stagnating on the same genre forever...then i'll buy every record they'll put out.

Jan 11, 2010 at 8:47 PM Post #784 of 29,662
Quote:

Originally Posted by hardRAWKR /img/forum/go_quote.gif

For me, Wavering Radiant is about on par with In the Absence of Truth. That is, it's decent overall but noticeably inferior to both Oceanic and Panopticon in terms of energy, pathos, and general songwriting.

Jan 11, 2010 at 10:11 PM Post #785 of 29,662
Cianyx: CTAWB is one of my favorite albums of all time. However I got Unholy Cult recently (why did I put it off this long?) and it definitely rivals it.

Meliboeus/asmox: Thanks. I'll just have to get it and see what I think I guess.
biggrin.gif

Jan 12, 2010 at 11:28 PM Post #787 of 29,662
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cianyx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What are you guys spinning right now? In another forum, votes are being held for best of 00's so I'm gonna give Immolation's Close to a World and Slough Feg's Deadman a listen to pass my infinite judgement

The Voice of Steel, Maranatha, Verisakeet, Antichrist, Nordland I, Vertebrae and Those Whom the Gods Detest are high on the spin count.

As for Immolation best, dunno, maybe Close To A World Below or Failures for Gods but all are excelent.

Jan 18, 2010 at 10:32 PM Post #790 of 29,662
You guys heard these people?

ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Haven't heard their album yet but I like their progressive style.

Jan 19, 2010 at 9:18 AM Post #794 of 29,662
Well, 2010 is off to a great start! The new albums from Ares Kingdom, Ihsahn and Heathen kick major tail. Solid efforts from Arsis and Fear Factory as well.

I'm not really a big FF fan (I only own "Demanufacture"), but "Mechanize" made me take notice. They're tighter than ever as a unit, and Hoglan's pummeling rhythmic assault takes the songs to a whole new level.

Jan 19, 2010 at 10:21 AM Post #795 of 29,662
Been hearing of Ares Kingdom, looking forward to listening to them.

Heard a track off Arsis' new album. Didn't have that special element to them which was present on ACoG but it's not bad. Belus is what I'm waiting for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back