Lets Talk Metal
Jan 3, 2010 at 2:53 AM Post #752 of 29,664
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonhapimp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anybody listen to Devin Townsend?

I'm a huge DT fan. Not so much for SYL, Alien is really the only album of theirs that I still listen to. Devin Townsend Project though, hell ya. I've got all of em, from Ocean Machine through Addicted.

Jan 3, 2010 at 3:39 AM Post #753 of 29,664
Now that we're in to 2010, I thought I'd talk about my favorite releases from 2009, as well as the disappointments.

The Good:

Arch Enemy - Root Of All Evil. This album has gotten pretty bad press, as it seems like the metal bloggers just have never warmed up to Angela Gossow. I love it though, I've always thought the albums with JL on vocals were boring, and its great to hear the classic riffs of Demonic Science and Dark Insanity with Angela tearing up the mic.

Be'lakor - Stone's Reach. These guys need a lot more attention. They are phenomenal musicians. This is progressive death at its best, watch out Opeth.

DethKlok - The Dethalbum II. Sure its a cartoon band, but who cares when the metal is this good. "The Gears" and "Comet Song" are constantly in my head.

Ensiferum - From Afar. I've never really been one for Folk Metal, but I find this to be a really enjoyable listen, and it's FAR stronger than the last pathetic Norther album.

Eternal Tears of Sorrow - Children Of Dark Waters. At first I thought the follow up to the brilliant Before The Bleeding Sun was a bit weak, but the more I listened to Dark Waters, the more I liked it. This album has tons of depth and definitely ranks among their best work.

Hypocrisy - A Taste Of Extreme Divinity. HELL yes. What an absolutely fantastic album, quite possibly the best Hypocrisy ever. I just can't stop listening to this one.

Immortal - All Shall Fall. An excellent return to form. Production still isn't exactly stellar, but this is still a great record.

Insomnium - Across The Dark. The clean vocals threw me a bit the first couple of listens, but this album has grown on me a lot.

Kalisia - Cybion. Stumbled onto this band pretty much by accident. Why aren't they on a major label!? This is some of the most amazing metal I've ever heard. Probably my favorite overall metal record of 2009.

Nightrage - Wearing a Martyr's Crown. I was a bit concerned about where the band was going after their last effort, but this is a great record full of fire and brimstone. The vocalist change (yet again) was definitely a positive step in the right direction.

November's Doom - Into Night's Requiem Infernal. Even better than the last one. These guys are really coming into their own, and are challenging Daylight Dies as masters of Doom Metal.

Samael - Above. Wow. I pretty much wrote these guys off after Passage, but this record is just amazingly brutal. The euro-pop is gone. Above will tear your face off with unrelenting aggression.. in a good way.

The Bad:

Disarmonia Mundi - Isolation Game. I was hoping for something like Fragments of D-Generation. Instead, this album is all of the worst parts of Mind Tricks, with none of the good. Boring mallcore. Probably time to move on.

Katatonia - Night Is The New Day. This isn't necessarily a bad album, it's just that The Great Cold Distance was so much better. It's about on the same level as Viva Emptiness. I just wanted more.

Megadeth - Endgame. A surprising disappointment. After the first two tracks I thought this albums was going to be fantastic but it just falls apart after that. "Bite The Hand" and especially "Endgame" seem like they were written by a 5 year old. It picks up a bit at the very end but overall this is a much weaker effort than United Abominations. To me it feels like a mix of The System Has Failed and The World Needs a Hero.

Scar Symmetry - Dark Matter Dimensions. What happened here? How is it that two new vocalists can't do growls or clean vocals as well as the one guy that left? What happened to all of the imagination behind the riffs? Hopefully this is just a weak first effort.

On a whole, 2009 was a much better year for metal than the lackluster 2008. Some albums I'm looking forward to in 2010:

Kalmah - 12 Gauge
In Mourning - Monolith
Fear Factory - Mechanize (giant question mark on this one)
Arsis - Starve For the Devil
Rotting Christ - Aealo
Dark Tranquility - We Are The Void

Jan 3, 2010 at 4:11 AM Post #754 of 29,664
Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveBSC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm a huge DT fan. Not so much for SYL, Alien is really the only album of theirs that I still listen to. Devin Townsend Project though, hell ya. I've got all of em, from Ocean Machine through Addicted.

yep love them i currently have his latest three albums,
Ziltoid the Omniscient(awesome),Ki(love it), and just got addicted(still gotta get used to it)
beyersmile.png

Jan 3, 2010 at 4:23 AM Post #755 of 29,664
Quote:

Snip

I've listened to Be'lakor - Stone's Reach(pretty good,recommended),Immortal - All Shall Fall(pretty good,recommended), Insomnium - Across The Dark(which i never really sat down and listened to this idk why, i have just never gave it a full listen) and Kalisia - Cybion, their album is awesome you do have to read along because sometimes the lyrics are too quite, which is the most epic story i've heard so far on any album, so lyrics matters ALOT. And Katatonia - Night Is The New Day, didn't really like it that much i don't see what all the hype is about i only liked two songs on the entire album, cool album art though
sorry for the lack of periods
tongue.gif

Jan 7, 2010 at 8:31 AM Post #756 of 29,664
Quote:

Be'lakor - Stone's Reach. These guys need a lot more attention. They are phenomenal musicians. This is progressive death at its best, watch out Opeth.

I really need to give this one another listen. I wasn't particularly impressed sampling it but perhaps I was too quick to dismiss it. I have a nasty habit of just jumping around in songs for a first impression.

Quote:

Insomnium - Across The Dark. The clean vocals threw me a bit the first couple of listens, but this album has grown on me a lot.

Quote:

Kalisia - Cybion. Stumbled onto this band pretty much by accident. Why aren't they on a major label!? This is some of the most amazing metal I've ever heard. Probably my favorite overall metal record of 2009.

Couldn't agree more, espically regarding Cybion. I ran into recommendations for it on metal-archives forum and it totally blew me away! Probably my favorite metal album of 2009 as well.

Jan 7, 2010 at 4:10 PM Post #757 of 29,664
Quote:

Originally Posted by acolyte289 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really need to give this one another listen. I wasn't particularly impressed sampling it but perhaps I was too quick to dismiss it. I have a nasty habit of just jumping around in songs for a first impression.

Stone's Reach is an album that demands a proper beginning to end listen. There really isn't any particular track that will reach out and grab you, its more about the complete experience.

Jan 7, 2010 at 8:23 PM Post #759 of 29,664
Have you listened to Kylesa - Static Tensions ? Check it out, i have heared some tunes on youtube and bought the CD...i mean, they have two drummers, how could i not buy it ?
cool.gif

Jan 7, 2010 at 9:32 PM Post #760 of 29,664
Quote:

Fear Factory - Mechanize (giant question mark on this one)

It's a massive improvement over Transgression in my opinion. Reminds of their older stuff.

Jan 7, 2010 at 10:08 PM Post #761 of 29,664
Quote:

Originally Posted by Linchpin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's a massive improvement over Transgression in my opinion. Reminds of their older stuff.

Anything would be better than Transgression. Dino is back on guitar after all. Where did you hear it? I didn't think it would be out until Feb.

Jan 7, 2010 at 10:13 PM Post #763 of 29,664
Quote:

Anything would be better than Transgression. Dino is back on guitar after all. Where did you hear it? I didn't think it would be out until Feb.

It was leaked a couple of weeks ago and I figured I'd better try before I buy after the Transgression disaster.

Jan 7, 2010 at 10:40 PM Post #764 of 29,664
Listening the leak and yes, its not bad. Better so far than anything they have released after Obsolete. This is very Demanufactureish, which kicks ass! Though nothing will top their Sould Of A New Machine, their Death Metal album that is. Which is BTW one of my fav albums...

Funny, album gets leaked ages before the CD itself gets released. I wonder what is the delay with official release.

Jan 8, 2010 at 12:05 PM Post #765 of 29,664
"Welcome all to curtain call
At the opera
Raging voices in my mind
Rise above the orchestra
Like a crescendo of gratitude
This is my song"

Damn I love Kamelot :3

PS: Be'lakor are awesome

Users who are viewing this thread

Back