Lets Talk Metal
Nov 26, 2012 at 1:36 PM Post #7,787 of 29,666
Quote:
Here is probably my album of the year (2012):

Click for my full review on Metal-Fi
Get your lists ready, because Dave and I are still sorting out 2012 for a our best of next month.
Metal-Fi on Facebook

Stunning release! So much to discover. Great production too. 

Btw, is Metal-Fi ever going to review the latest Carach Angren? Would love to hear your take on the album. I won't be offended if you hate it. :wink: 

Nov 26, 2012 at 11:32 PM Post #7,788 of 29,666
Quote:
Here is probably my album of the year (2012):

Click for my full review on Metal-Fi
Get your lists ready, because Dave and I are still sorting out 2012 for a our best of next month.
Metal-Fi on Facebook

it's not gonna be my top of the year, but i really dig the mix of folk/black and will definitely be sourcing that album!

i'm a huge fan of your site (just need way more reviews, and more non euro-centric reviews :wink: , I look forward to your top 10 lists, they will be guaranteed buys for me!

Nov 27, 2012 at 1:47 AM Post #7,789 of 29,666
What the hell is going on in here?  Avenged Sevenfold????  That band was lame when they were a metalcore band, and they suck even more as a radio pop rock band.

Here's some Death.  Quit being wimps.

That is great, never saw it before. It goes along perfect with the new Death remaster release out last week.

Nov 27, 2012 at 5:33 AM Post #7,790 of 29,666
Quote:
i'm a huge fan of your site (just need way more reviews, and more non euro-centric reviews :wink: , I look forward to your top 10 lists, they will be guaranteed buys for me!

I for one love to see them more euro-centric. And it feels right to hear about these bands that just don't really reach the nordic countries like the way British and Americahns do. That might just be me being blind, though.
rolleyes.gif

What I would like to see in the future is, among new reviews, some dark ambience and noise records. That's what I've been into recently and somehow put them in the metal category of the spectrum. <3

Nov 27, 2012 at 7:12 AM Post #7,791 of 29,666
it's not gonna be my top of the year, but i really dig the mix of folk/black and will definitely be sourcing that album![/quote[

Cool. Yeah, top lists are very subjective. By no means do I think it should be on everybody's top list.

I just saw Decibel's Top 40 of 2012. Again for me, a mix of good and bad (Baroness is #2...whaaaaa?).

Thanks dude. We really appreciate it. We are going to have a lot neat exclusive stuff (I think, i.e. holidays screw up everything) in the next few weeks.

Nov 27, 2012 at 7:20 AM Post #7,792 of 29,666
I for one love to see them more euro-centric. And it feels right to hear about these bands that just don't really reach the nordic countries like the way British and Americahns do. That might just be me being blind, though.:rolleyes:

What I would like to see in the future is, among new reviews, some dark ambience and noise records. That's what I've been into recently and somehow put them in the metal category of the spectrum. <3

Are you familiar with Horseback's latest, Half-Blood?

If you like this, check out Invisible Mountains. Some cool dark ambiance if you ask me.

Nov 27, 2012 at 7:29 AM Post #7,793 of 29,666
Stunning release! So much to discover. Great production too. 

Btw, is Metal-Fi ever going to review the latest Carach Angren? Would love to hear your take on the album. I won't be offended if you hate it. :wink: 

I doubt I would hate it but our opinion isn't really the issue. Let me explain:

1) AMG did it already

2) It came out in May

So we have been *trying* to keep current since there are so many damn releases coming out that need our attention right now. I feel we missed the boat on this one. Does that make any sense to you?

Btw, this review did make me laugh. What?!

Nov 27, 2012 at 7:51 AM Post #7,794 of 29,666
Quote:
I doubt I would hate it but our opinion isn't really the issue. Let me explain:
1) AMG did it already
2) It came out in May
So we have been *trying* to keep current since there are so many damn releases coming out that need our attention right now. I feel we missed the boat on this one. Does that make any sense to you?
Btw, this review did make me laugh. What?!

Yeah makes sense. Too bad though! The production is great. :)

And yeah, that review is awesome. The "You might as well buy a Harry Potter audiobook read by Shagrath." is comedy gold! :D The guys shared it on the CA Facebook and the reactions from the fans are just as hilarious.

Nov 27, 2012 at 8:36 AM Post #7,795 of 29,666
Yeah makes sense. Too bad though! The production is great. :)

I ma going to check it out (for that alone) and see where it goes....no promises though...maybe I will write a review here! :)

And yeah, that review is awesome. The "You might as well buy a Harry Potter audiobook read by Shagrath." is comedy gold! :D The guys shared it on the CA Facebook and the reactions from the fans are just as hilarious.

Ooooo, that must have been fun.

IMO, this is the greatest review EVER and it is linked from our Ratings System page.

Did somebody miss the boat? Oh yes they did!

Nov 27, 2012 at 10:18 AM Post #7,796 of 29,666
Quote:

Sounds like the reviewer has a childhood trauma involving priests...

..altoughhhh there is a certain truth in that black metal used to be about anything but servitude and certain bands have taken the whole theistic aspect of Satanism a bit far in my opinion. I mean, you can scream really loud, wear scary face paint and play at 220bpm but basically you're still playing worship music. And worship, the act itself, involves servitute to a greater power. Submission. A quote from that review:
"Theism has no place in black metal, and theistic bands cannot be called black metal no matter how much they try to emulate the aesthetics of black metal."

I wouldn't go as far and say DsO are a Christian band, but I can understand the knuckle-dragging purist who points and shouts "vntrve". 
wink_face.gif

EDIT: Not that the word untrue means anything ofcourse. Great music is still great music, whatever the philosophy behind it. But you know, the devil's advocate and all... 

Nov 27, 2012 at 12:31 PM Post #7,797 of 29,666
Quote:

Sounds like the reviewer has a childhood trauma involving priests...

..altoughhhh there is a certain truth in that black metal used to be about anything but servitude and certain bands have taken the whole theistic aspect of Satanism a bit far in my opinion. I mean, you can scream really loud, wear scary face paint and play at 220bpm but basically you're still playing worship music. And worship, the act itself, involves servitute to a greater power. Submission. A quote from that review:
"Theism has no place in black metal, and theistic bands cannot be called black metal no matter how much they try to emulate the aesthetics of black metal."

I wouldn't go as far and say DsO are a Christian band, but I can understand the knuckle-dragging purist who points and shouts "vntrve". 
wink_face.gif

EDIT: Not that the word untrue means anything ofcourse. Great music is still great music, whatever the philosophy behind it. But you know, the devil's advocate and all... 

he he good post

every genre ever conceived used to be about something in particular (talk to any dedicated punk rocker LOL), but over time musical styles and ideologies influence bands in other genres and vice versa...and what we're left with is some fantastic music that has little to do with the ideologies and stylistic ruts of old.  i'm cool with that; bring on the experimentation and bend those genres, it makes for better music or at the very least original music.  there's still plenty of full on blasphemous old school BM out there for those who are looking...AND we get to have some stellar post-black-metal-ambient-rock-folk-symphonic-etc. albums.

it's a good time to be a metalhead \m/

Nov 27, 2012 at 1:10 PM Post #7,799 of 29,666
Quote:

Thanks! More reviews are always coming, usually every weekday though we will be adding some weekend content soon. As for it being euro-centric, that's nothing deliberate, the stuff we've been covering just happens to be mostly European or Scandinavian, though we have done The Sword, Pig Destroyer, and Devin Townsend reviews. The Industrialist came out a bit too early for me to cover it (hint: it's not very good). If you have suggestions for North American bands that you'd like to see covered, we'll certainly take those under consideration.

Nov 27, 2012 at 2:15 PM Post #7,800 of 29,666
Quote:

That is great, never saw it before. It goes along perfect with the new Death remaster release out last week.

I really love that Chuck sounds like a CA surfer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back