Lets Talk Metal
Dec 19, 2009 at 3:29 PM Post #646 of 29,701
Hey guys, have you heard Sodom? Any album you specially like from them?

Dec 19, 2009 at 5:12 PM Post #647 of 29,701
Cianyx: No I haven't heard much Jesu. Who/what would they be comparable to?

MaZa: No it's cool. I wasn't very clear. I was never that into thrash, so I don't know much about all that "drama" but it is cool that they are finally doing some concerts together. Coincedence maybe? Probably not.

momijiTMO: That's what Rosetta does for me. To each his own.

Dec 19, 2009 at 8:11 PM Post #648 of 29,701
Quote:

Originally Posted by hardRAWKR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cianyx: No I haven't heard much Jesu. Who/what would they be comparable to?

MaZa: No it's cool. I wasn't very clear. I was never that into thrash, so I don't know much about all that "drama" but it is cool that they are finally doing some concerts together. Coincedence maybe? Probably not.

momijiTMO: That's what Rosetta does for me. To each his own.

Jesu isn't really "hard" metal they could be mistaken for an alternative band(based on opiate sun) but they sound very good though
wink_face.gif

Dec 19, 2009 at 9:31 PM Post #649 of 29,701
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Big Four of Thrash Metal, bands that were most known and possibly most influental at the evolution of Thrash and metal in general: Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth and Anthrax. Though I have doubts if Anthrax should be included, perhaps Exodus would fit in the role better. Dunno.

Exodus and Testament definitely fit the role better than Anthrax, IMO.

Dec 19, 2009 at 9:46 PM Post #650 of 29,701
Exodus deserve no respect after they destroyed a classic like Bonded by Blood, a genre defining album butchered with crappy triggered drums, downtuned guitars, tough guy vocals and anything bad thrash metal has come to mean today.

Slayer is no better, having started to target angry teenagers many years ago...not to mention Metallica...

That "Big four" lineup surely would have put up a great show back in the 80's. ( Then with Exodus instead of Anthrax
biggrin.gif
)

Dec 19, 2009 at 10:02 PM Post #651 of 29,701
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonhapimp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Jesu isn't really "hard" metal they could be mistaken for an alternative band(based on opiate sun) but they sound very good though
wink_face.gif

Pretty much this. From the ashes of Godflesh, rises Jesu. *World Implodes*

Dec 19, 2009 at 10:51 PM Post #652 of 29,701
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cianyx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pretty much this. From the ashes of Godflesh, rises Jesu. *World Implodes*

Well unfortunately I haven't heard much Godflesh, although I've definitely heard OF them. I'll check them both out.

Dec 20, 2009 at 1:59 AM Post #654 of 29,701
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cianyx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DUNH-DUNH dun-dun-dun-dun-dun
DUNH-DUNH dun-dun-dun YOU BREEED
DUNH-DUNH dun-dun-dun-dun-dun
DUNH-DUNH dun-dun-dun LIKE RATS

lol godflesh right?
I didn't actually know that, I looked it up.

Dec 20, 2009 at 1:48 PM Post #655 of 29,701
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meliboeus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Slayer is no better, having started to target angry teenagers many years ago...not to mention Metallica...

That "Big four" lineup surely would have put up a great show back in the 80's. ( Then with Exodus instead of Anthrax
biggrin.gif
)

Although I agree with you my opinion is that both Slayer and Metallica give great live shows relying on their old stuff (there's one or two new ones to please the kids but it's mainly 80s, early 90s).

Dec 21, 2009 at 7:45 PM Post #656 of 29,701
Is there ANY new metal bands that still know hot to write great head banging riffs that actually have some crunch to it?

I find myself listening to megadeth a lot lately because only mustaine can get me a fix for this craving, but its getting old again and I need something new to headbang to!

Dec 21, 2009 at 7:54 PM Post #657 of 29,701
While i do love mustaines's earliest cds the most, killing is my business and peace sells are my two favorite megadeth cd's, i dont really know what you mean by crunch?

what modern metal have you heard that you feel is lacking in this area?

Dec 21, 2009 at 8:27 PM Post #658 of 29,701
It just seems that everyone pales in comparison to the early 80's riffs of thrash.. mustaine is the only person that I know of that can still write a great riff even to this day.. other bands that are newer that have been doing this decently as well are amon amarth and children of bodom...

but other then that, I can't find any new metal that has great riffs.. slayer's new album, though decent, is not sufficient in this area

Dec 21, 2009 at 8:37 PM Post #659 of 29,701
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bojamijams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there ANY new metal bands that still know hot to write great head banging riffs that actually have some crunch to it?

I find myself listening to megadeth a lot lately because only mustaine can get me a fix for this craving, but its getting old again and I need something new to headbang to!

Well, Kataklysm, but it's not quite the same. If you look deep enough I'm sure you could find something. Exodus still makes some good stuff, but once again, not quite the same. Deicide is good if you're into Death Metal.
Just depends on your tastes.
\m/

Dec 21, 2009 at 8:53 PM Post #660 of 29,701
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bojamijams /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Have you tried every time I die?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back