Lets Talk Metal
Dec 18, 2009 at 3:21 AM Post #631 of 29,701
I've been getting into the "Post-Metal" (Neurosis, Isis, Rosetta, Cult Of Luna) scene quite a bit lately. Anyone here heard any of it? What are your thoughts?
I just got Wake/Lift by Rosetta. One of the most refreshing albums I've heard in a long time.

Dec 18, 2009 at 4:33 AM Post #632 of 29,701
@hardRAWKR:

Also try - Pelican, Altar of Plagues, A Storm of Light. Three of my faves for my post-metal fix these days.
biggrin.gif

Dec 18, 2009 at 5:56 AM Post #633 of 29,701
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azathoth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@hardRAWKR:

Also try - Pelican, Altar of Plagues, A Storm of Light. Three of my faves for my post-metal fix these days.
biggrin.gif

I tried listening to Pelican. Too airy and not edgy enough. I'll have to check out the other two though.
Have you heard any Made Out Of Babies? I have The Ruiner by them, and it's...different. Not sure I'd call it post-metal though. Too lyrical and not enough "soundscapes", but a lot of people consider them post-metal apparently. If I had to describe Made Out Of Babies the best I could come up with is that they sound like what Korn attempted on their first album and they make it sound completely natural.

Anyway...what's this about the Big Four?

Dec 18, 2009 at 8:01 AM Post #636 of 29,701
Since none of them has been releasing anything good since the 80s, it will be interesting to see how this pans out.

^Sunn O))) is great to listen to with good headphones.Their release this year was pretty stellar as well

Dec 18, 2009 at 11:50 AM Post #638 of 29,701
Quote:

Originally Posted by hardRAWKR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I tried listening to Pelican. Too airy and not edgy enough. I'll have to check out the other two though.
Have you heard any Made Out Of Babies? I have The Ruiner by them, and it's...different. Not sure I'd call it post-metal though. Too lyrical and not enough "soundscapes", but a lot of people consider them post-metal apparently. If I had to describe Made Out Of Babies the best I could come up with is that they sound like what Korn attempted on their first album and they make it sound completely natural.

Anyway...what's this about the Big Four?

The Big Four of Thrash Metal, bands that were most known and possibly most influental at the evolution of Thrash and metal in general: Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth and Anthrax. Though I have doubts if Anthrax should be included, perhaps Exodus would fit in the role better. Dunno.

Dec 18, 2009 at 8:53 PM Post #640 of 29,701
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Big Four of Thrash Metal, bands that were most known and possibly most influental at the evolution of Thrash and metal in general: Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth and Anthrax. Though I have doubts if Anthrax should be included, perhaps Exodus would fit in the role better. Dunno.

I know who the Big Four are! Are they doing a tour together or something?
And yeah I agree, Exodus is much better than Anthrax.

Dec 18, 2009 at 9:45 PM Post #641 of 29,701
Following this thread has persuaded me to start digging some post-metal, so i bought vinyl reissues of ISIS's Panopticon and In The Absence ( the easiest to found... ), two good albums to start with.

I'm not really attracted by more hardcore oriented bands of that genre, but from some samples i heard on youtube, ISIS is really top rate material for fans of anything related to "progressive" music of any sort, long mostly instrumental composition are just what i look for.

The vocals are tolerable even for me...i usually dislike ( plainly hate ) that vocal style, but here they fit the music well, are balanced in the mix...and don't just resemble a failed attempt to a death growl by a 12 years old kid.

Dec 19, 2009 at 1:18 AM Post #642 of 29,701
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meliboeus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Following this thread has persuaded me to start digging some post-metal, so i bought vinyl reissues of ISIS's Panopticon and In The Absence ( the easiest to found... ), two good albums to start with.

I'm not really attracted by more hardcore oriented bands of that genre, but from some samples i heard on youtube, ISIS is really top rate material for fans of anything related to "progressive" music of any sort, long mostly instrumental composition are just what i look for.

The vocals are tolerable even for me...i usually dislike ( plainly hate ) that vocal style, but here they fit the music well, are balanced in the mix...and don't just resemble a failed attempt to a death growl by a 12 years old kid.

I agree with you about "hardcore" screaming. I usually try to avoid it, but it really works with this genre. :p
Isis is very good, but I think Rosetta is more expressive a lot more satisfying to listen to. Just depends on your tastes...one is very clean and progressive, the other is very expressive and atmospheric.

Dec 19, 2009 at 5:03 AM Post #643 of 29,701
My thoughts on Post-Metal? Glad you asked. I have a lot of trouble differentiating between Post-Metal and Post-Rock with heavy riffs. More of a fan of Post-Rock though. Either way, hardRAWKR, do you listen to Jesu?

Dec 19, 2009 at 11:45 AM Post #644 of 29,701
Quote:

I know who the Big Four are! Are they doing a tour together or something?
And yeah I agree, Exodus is much better than Anthrax.

Oh, sorry. Brainfart.
biggrin.gif

It seems like they are together for the very first time in history, though this isnt a tour but they just happen to be together in some Sonisphere festivals. (too bad thats not the case in Finnish Sonisphere...
frown.gif
) This is a surprising case as AFAIK Megadeth never wanted to be in same gig with Metallica, which made Big Four festivals impossible. Perhaps Megadave has softened up (read: finally matured) a bit?

Dec 19, 2009 at 11:56 AM Post #645 of 29,701
Quote:

I agree with you about "hardcore" screaming. I usually try to avoid it, but it really works with this genre. :p
Isis is very good, but I think Rosetta is more expressive a lot more satisfying to listen to. Just depends on your tastes...one is very clean and progressive, the other is very expressive and atmospheric.

ISIS <3

Absolutely love them.
Quote:

I tried listening to Pelican. Too airy and not edgy enough.

Pelican really make me chill out and blend into the music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back