Lets Talk Metal
May 1, 2012 at 6:02 PM Post #5,971 of 29,700
Quote:

Something else that's funny - MP3 downloads are usually $9.99, whereas you can pick up a used CD for only a couple of bucks, which is not only much higher quality but can be easily ripped to MP3! Used CDs are worth almost nothing unless its a rare MFSL or DCC press or something like that, but used MP3s are worth zero. Where I'd like to see more progress is the availability of FLAC downloads. I refuse to pay money for compromised lossy files, but at the same time I'm not crazy about paying $35 for an import because nobody in the US even carries the disc.

Yeah. Bandcamp in particular has become a wonderful resource for bands to spread their music in all kinds of formats. I think it's the next big thing, honestly. Especially since there's the option to let people buy the actual CD and download the digital copy while you're waiting for it to arrive, providing free downloads at the band's discretion, the pay-what-you-want option, etc.. Giving the bands the option to release their music the way they want it is the way to go, I think.

As for physical copies, having an actual CD fulfills a sort of collector's fetish, as mentioned, the whole experience is in the many artifacts that come with the music that provide it context. I wouldn't be enjoying this The Great Old One's CD nearly as much without these cool-ass illustrations of chthulu mythos to back it up.

May 1, 2012 at 6:48 PM Post #5,973 of 29,700
Quote:

What's Wicked? It better be a black metal band... 

Nope. It's a Broadway musical. 
biggrin.gif

May 1, 2012 at 8:29 PM Post #5,974 of 29,700
Quote:

My booklets that came with my soundtrack of Wicked have pictures from performances around the world, as well as some amazing closeups and action shots of the actors and actresses in the original Broadway production. You don't get that in a download.

You do if the ripper includes scans. 
tongue_smile.gif

Not that I don't agree with you.

May 2, 2012 at 12:08 AM Post #5,975 of 29,700
Quote:
You do if the ripper includes scans. 
tongue_smile.gif

Not that I don't agree with you.

This is another irony. Online music download stores make no attempt to add value to the product - one which as I said is instantly worthless the second you buy it. Less.. ahem.. legitimate sources will often include ultra high-res PNG scans of all of the artwork, the disc, as well as a rip log to verify accuracy and a cue sheet for easy burning with gaps as they were on the original. You can't beat free with a worse product, witness the failure of all of the various DRM schemes over the years.

May 2, 2012 at 1:41 AM Post #5,978 of 29,700
May 2, 2012 at 1:48 AM Post #5,979 of 29,700
Quote:
Nice... This is the 'Dethklok' dude

Indeed, although as a piece of music I think it's more successful than the Dethklok albums. "Nathan"'s vocals have more of a gutteral talking feel to them than real growling. Nobody is trying to sound like Corpsegrinder here without the ability to actually do it. These vocals fit Brendon's power metal style perfectly.

May 2, 2012 at 2:59 AM Post #5,980 of 29,700
Quote:

Indeed, although as a piece of music I think it's more successful than the Dethklok albums. "Nathan"'s vocals have more of a gutteral talking feel to them than real growling. Nobody is trying to sound like Corpsegrinder here without the ability to actually do it. These vocals fit Brendon's power metal style perfectly.

Don't say that... I love Nathan's corpsegrinder imitation. Its so funny and nice..

EDIT::BTW, the album is awesome. So on we go, from Gorod to In Mourning to Brendon Small ... Wohooo. 2012 is good so far.

May 2, 2012 at 8:09 PM Post #5,985 of 29,700
Just purchased The Great Old Ones CD! So excited! Thank you Head-Fi and this thread for introducing me to so many great bands! 
k701smile.gif

Really, I think I've been hiding under a musical rock (Henceforth named college and poor) which has prevented me from actually getting new music. Seriously. I got into this thread and was like,
eek.gif
 "AWW MAN! SERIOUSLY?" I think all the good stuff just happens when I'm gone...  

I'm really liking Galaktikon as well, though I can't decide if I want to get the CD or not. Decisions, decisions. A friend introduced me to Dethklok a while back. Good stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back