Lets Talk Metal
Nov 30, 2009 at 10:01 PM Post #557 of 29,663
Quote:

Originally Posted by SoupRKnowva /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Started talking too much metal over in the rocks dead forum with Maza, so he told me to come over here. I dunno, i read the last 15 or so pages of the thread. But mostly you guys are talking about black metal. My metal tastes stay more towards All that Remains and Parkway Drive.

Well, that's really a matter of opinion. I pity there's too little Black, Death and Thrash Metal on this thread and too much *core, post-metal and melodic. But it's Ok, never boring at least
smily_headphones1.gif

Btw, have some things on the tolisten queue:

WASP - Babylon
Augury - Fragmentary Evidence
Be'Lakor - Stone's Reach
Megadeth - Endgame
Swallow the Sun - New Moon
Horna - Sanojesi Aarelle
While Heaven Wept - Vast Oceans Lachrymose

anyone with input on any of these?

Nov 30, 2009 at 10:06 PM Post #559 of 29,663
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh we do talk about all kind sof metal. Death and Thrash gets a lot of mentions. Its just me who tend to drift towards blackmetal all the time.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thank you !!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
*edit* Also, anyone heard Hypocrisy's latest album A Taste Of Extreme Divinity? *edit2* To SoupRKnowva, this band is also Melodic Deathmetal. You might want to check them out.

Yes, pretty good Melodic Tagtgren-Death Metal. Highly advisable.

Quote:

thanks for the suggestions, im in the process now of acquiring an album from each band, hopefully i picked good ones :p though i couldnt find mortal fear cept the myspace, which sounded pretty good
smily_headphones1.gif

Best of each one of the ones that I know are:

Dark Tranquillity - The Gallery/The Mind's I
Insomnium - Above The Weeping World
Dissection - Storm of the Light's Bane
At The Gates - Slaughter of the Soul/Terminal Spirit Disease
Edge of Sanity - Crimson/Crimon II/Purgatory Afterglow
Hypocrisy - Hypocrisy/Virus/A Taste of Extreme Divinity

but you know what people say of opinions
smily_headphones1.gif

OT: just joined the facebook head-fi group. come say hi
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 30, 2009 at 10:45 PM Post #561 of 29,663
Quote:

Originally Posted by japc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you !!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Yes, pretty good Melodic Tagtgren-Death Metal. Highly advisable.

Best of each one of the ones that I know are:

Dark Tranquillity - The Gallery/The Mind's I
Insomnium - Above The Weeping World
Dissection - Storm of the Light's Bane
At The Gates - Slaughter of the Soul/Terminal Spirit Disease
Edge of Sanity - Crimson/Crimon II/Purgatory Afterglow
Hypocrisy - Hypocrisy/Virus/A Taste of Extreme Divinity

but you know what people say of opinions
smily_headphones1.gif

OT: just joined the facebook head-fi group. come say hi
smily_headphones1.gif

haha i got the gallery, above the weeping world, storm of the lights bane, hypocrisy, and a taste of extreme divinity, so i guess i picked well. I just went to wikipedia and checked which ones had the best overall reviews for each band. didnt get any at the gates or edge of sanity though, i know i dont like them from prior experience

Dec 1, 2009 at 6:17 AM Post #562 of 29,663
Quote:

Originally Posted by japc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Btw, have some things on the tolisten queue:

anyone with input on any of these?

I'll comment on the ones i've heard, all four are worth a listen.

Augury - Fragmentary Evidence

Tech death that's initially hard to get into, gets better with repeated listens. Musicianship is second to none though the songwriting could be better (some songs don't stick).

Megadeth - Endgame

More aggressive than the relatively safe-sounding "United Abominations", really grabs you by the throat from the first song. Dave's menacing snarl/sneer is in fine form, as is Chris Broderick's face-melting leads and solos. Though I must say he seems to be overplaying at times.

Swallow the Sun - New Moon

Solid death/doom. Mikko Kotamäki's balance of shrieks, growls and cleans have vastly improved. Great soundtrack for a rainy night.

While Heaven Wept - Vast Oceans Lachrymose

Now this was a pleasant surprise. I have not heard of this band prior to this album so I came in with no expectations. Epic, grandiose stuff that doesn't sound overdone (or too cheesy).

Dec 1, 2009 at 6:31 AM Post #563 of 29,663
Quote:

haha i got the gallery, above the weeping world, storm of the lights bane, hypocrisy, and a taste of extreme divinity, so i guess i picked well. I just went to wikipedia and checked which ones had the best overall reviews for each band. didnt get any at the gates or edge of sanity though, i know i dont like them from prior experience

Check out The Somberlain as well. It's Dissection at its peak (or so I'm told). Listen to Slaughter of the Soul by the At the Gates. If you like Hypocrisy you should like both AtG and EoS. The Red in the Sky is Ours by AtG is quite possibly my favourite Melodic Death release.

^While Heaven Wept is an extremely sexy band.

Dec 1, 2009 at 6:48 AM Post #564 of 29,663
So to report back in. I tried dark funeral, wasnt a fan, same with dissection. Tried Arsis and hypocrisy, and while it wasnt too bad, something just didnt click with me on it. But so far ive loved Heaven Shall Burn, Persefone, and Insomnium.

Dec 1, 2009 at 6:58 AM Post #565 of 29,663
Anyone here heard of Circus Maximus? Their latest Isolate imo is one of the best concept albums of all time. I would consider it progressive metal, but some of the individual songs sound more traditional sounding. It's like the perfect hybrid melodic metal. Amazing stuff.

Dec 1, 2009 at 11:39 AM Post #566 of 29,663
Quote:

Originally Posted by dongringo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone here heard of Circus Maximus? Their latest Isolate.....

Yo dongringo, I'm really happy for you and I'mma let you finish. But Queensrÿche had one of the best concept albums of all time. OF ALL TIME!!!

23260d1259668192-lets-talk-metal-circusmaximus.jpg

Dec 1, 2009 at 12:44 PM Post #567 of 29,663
Quote:

So to report back in. I tried dark funeral, wasnt a fan, same with dissection. Tried Arsis and hypocrisy, and while it wasnt too bad, something just didnt click with me on it. But so far ive loved Heaven Shall Burn, Persefone, and Insomnium.

Since you like this melodeath stuff, you should listen to Vehemence's God Was Created. Don't bother with their other stuff as it's crap. However, God Was Created is what I consider one of the best melodeath albums (Others being At the Gates - The Red in the Sky is Ours and Intestine Baalism - An Anatomy of the Beast).

Who knows, it might even ease you into death metal.

Dec 1, 2009 at 5:09 PM Post #569 of 29,663
Either that, or "Tyrants of the Rising Sun: Live in Japan" will do. Both amazing DVDs. The mix and camera work on Tyrants is top-notch, as is the band's performance. Seeing the band play underrated pre-Angela classics like "Silverwing" and "Dark Insanity" was a cool bonus...and what about the Japanese fans? They sing along to the guitar lines!

I was fortunate enough to be in front row when Arch Enemy played a one night only show in my country two months ago. Absolutely killer gig! Some photos I took:

P1020839.jpg

P1020843.jpg

P1020879.jpg

P1020910.jpg

Dec 1, 2009 at 6:07 PM Post #570 of 29,663
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azathoth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Either that, or "Tyrants of the Rising Sun: Live in Japan" will do. Both amazing DVDs. The mix and camera work on Tyrants is top-notch, as is the band's performance. Seeing the band play underrated pre-Angela classics like "Silverwing" and "Dark Insanity" was a cool bonus...and what about the Japanese fans? They sing along to the guitar lines!

I was fortunate enough to be in front row when Arch Enemy played a one night only show in my country two months ago. Absolutely killer gig!

Nice Pix man.............
That is what I call a world tour with stop in Phillipines, can't say enough good things about band's remake CD of early tracks using Angela's vocals, killer

61pkYdwbr6L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back