Also playing:

Sig:Ar:Tyr
Agalloch - The White
Opeth - Damnation, Heritage, Blackwater Park
Drudkh - Songs of Grief and Soltitude
Ulver - Kveldssanger
Borknagar - Origin
Green Carnation - Acoustic Verses

Two months ago I was anti acoustic and now.......

Nov 15, 2011 at 5:33 PM Post #4,712 of 29,701

Quote:
Exactlly. I saw Mars Volta before they were djent and considered cool (they were a small act opening up for System of a Down). Don't get me wrong, bands like Protest The Hero (I SWEAR the leader singer sounds a bit like Coheed), Leprous, are solid acts and a lot of fun.
But they are borderline metal if you ask me. And they definitely reek of scream-o.

I don't listen to the mars volta. But I do listen *alot* to protest the hero.
they are most definitly a metal band (I can't be ******** labeling things with sub-genres)
If you listen to their ep, you can hear a very punk core sound, with some metal sections coming through,
Move onto their debut (Kezia) and you can hear those punk roots, but they really take a back seat, it's mostly metal, maybe a few tinges of hardcore (which comes from punk anyway)
Sophomore album (Fortress) the only real signs these guys were ever a really punk influeneced are that the songs keep a slight punk feeling through the faster sections (something to do with drumming I expect)
most recent album (Scurrilous) and it's very much a protest the hero album, they've established their sound, it's solid, distinct and very much metal. I guess the progressive side of the band comes from the fact that all of their albums have essentially been concept albums (by someones standards), and Rody (vocalist) has a great voice, both singing and growling (though he doesn't growl much on the new album) with the coheed remark, I can see what you're getting at, but your about an octave in range wrong, Coheed's voice is ridiculously high

I've learned a few of their song on guitar, they are hella hard to learn, time signature changes, tempo changes, sweeping, multifinger tapping, it's difficult stuff. But the songs all have some great riffs in them which are fun to play, and generally fairly simple.

The though of them being grouped with Emo is awful. because they are so much more of a band, than any emo act out there.

Nov 15, 2011 at 6:31 PM Post #4,713 of 29,701

Quote:
Without a doubt.
Anaal Nathranhk isn't even black dude, its UK grindcore unless I have my bands screwed up.
I might go see Deafheaven tonight. We shall see. Their debut album is truly incredible. Soups, get on it.
Negakinu (my GO TOO BME) already has a SPOT ON description.

wait what? i thought they were considered industrial black metal??? though you mentioned alcest again and they're more post-black metal arent they?

Quote:
You pick the heaviest song off the album which the dude from Bilateral already admitted that is the "heaviest thing they have ever done!"
I still say Bilateral is closer to prog rock than metal. Sue me.

haha theres a couple other songs as heavy as restless i think, like Thorn for instance, which has guest vox from isahn :D

Quote:
Exactlly. I saw Mars Volta before they were djent and considered cool (they were a small act opening up for System of a Down). Don't get me wrong, bands like Protest The Hero (I SWEAR the leader singer sounds a bit like Coheed), Leprous, are solid acts and a lot of fun.
But they are borderline metal if you ask me. And they definitely reek of scream-o.
I *STILL* don't get the Deftones. I just don't get it. Help me, why are they so awesome again?
New Blut Aus Nord is stellar. Definitely more atmospheric than their earlier work but still has that signature industrial darkness to it. I think I like it better than Sects. Clearly, the French government should now make Black Metal their official music and have Alcest re-tool the national anthem. It just common sense if you ask me.
Well I am a happy camper, I am going to see Rammstein's new show and probably check out Machine Head on their headlining tour. I need to hear the new Locust stuff live. Its really good.
Alright Soups, enough of this djenty scream-o worship, Cormorant's new CD is weeks away. Please hype this up. Its your job not mine. I can't take credit for it (even though I will be listed as benefactors on the album itself).

Now you're gonna start comparing leprous and protest the hero to screamo??? really trogdor???....reallllllyyyyyy????

this is screamo.. to even compare them...makes me want to cry

Nov 15, 2011 at 10:17 PM Post #4,714 of 29,701

wait what? i thought they were considered industrial black metal??? though you mentioned alcest again and they're more post-black metal arent they?

haha theres a couple other songs as heavy as restless i think, like Thorn for instance, which has guest vox from isahn :D

Alright, I take back the scream-o comment. I take it back.

But damn it Soup, I love ya, but Anaal is NOT industrial black metal. Its grindcore.

You want industrial black metal, please see the standard which is Blut Aus Nord. Man, *everyone* knows this by now. :)

Nov 15, 2011 at 10:18 PM Post #4,715 of 29,701
I like the new Cynic EP:

Also playing:

Sig:Ar:Tyr
Agalloch - The White
Opeth - Damnation, Heritage, Blackwater Park
Drudkh - Songs of Grief and Soltitude
Ulver - Kveldssanger
Borknagar - Origin
Green Carnation - Acoustic Verses

Two months ago I was anti acoustic and now.......

I ask you this since I like Cynic. Where be the metal on that EP? Cause I can't find it. If this is where Cynic is going to go, I'm not going with them. There jazz fusion death metal was cool. They should stick with that.

Nov 15, 2011 at 10:48 PM Post #4,716 of 29,701

Quote:
I ask you this since I like Cynic. Where be the metal on that EP? Cause I can't find it. If this is where Cynic is going to go, I'm not going with them. There jazz fusion death metal was cool. They should stick with that.

Cynic still sounds like Cynic, even with less Death Metal parts, they are still there, just much more subtle, I like the less death metal cynic, I like traced in air alot more than Focus, even though Focus is amazing.

Nov 15, 2011 at 11:07 PM Post #4,717 of 29,701

Quote:
so uh speaking of how unmetal they are...

Wow. To butcher Wittgenstein: "That which we do not understand, or that which is utterly stuffed with dumbness, we must pass over in silence." Looks like Leprous is another Protest the Hero-type band that is wholly committed to intense ass-kickery when it comes to music, but who look like ****** satchels on music videos. Maybe they should just not make videos... Ever. 

Ever.

Nov 15, 2011 at 11:09 PM Post #4,718 of 29,701
The word before "satchels" in the previous message rhymes with "doosh." And thusly I refute the word-checker! :p

Nov 15, 2011 at 11:28 PM Post #4,719 of 29,701

Quote:
Alright, I take back the scream-o comment. I take it back.
But damn it Soup, I love ya, but Anaal is NOT industrial black metal. Its grindcore.
You want industrial black metal, please see the standard which is Blut Aus Nord. Man, *everyone* knows this by now. :)

dude, metal archives says were both right :p 

Edit: even the angry metal guy calls them black metal with industrial and grindcore influences

Nov 16, 2011 at 1:04 AM Post #4,720 of 29,701

Quote:
Cynic still sounds like Cynic, even with less Death Metal parts, they are still there, just much more subtle, I like the less death metal cynic, I like traced in air alot more than Focus, even though Focus is amazing.

Me too.

I feel Cynic to be like Opeth in many ways. Constantly pushing musical boundaries and succeeding.

Nov 16, 2011 at 5:38 PM Post #4,721 of 29,701

Weightless is not bad. However, it could have been part of the first album itself. A double album like Stadium Arcadium or Mellon Collie and Infinite Sadness.

Edit: I like AAL too.

Nov 16, 2011 at 10:32 PM Post #4,722 of 29,701

Quote:

Weightless is not bad. However, it could have been part of the first album itself. A double album like Stadium Arcadium or Mellon Collie and Infinite Sadness.

I feel Weightless is a progression from The debut.
It's different, and moved in a slightly different Direction, though still very much  like The first, it's refined somewhat.
Not a huge departure at all though.
still love AAL.

Nov 17, 2011 at 4:11 AM Post #4,723 of 29,701
Crap.

"Late October, Lisa announced to her fellow bandmembers she'd decided to leave Draconian starting as soon as possible. It had been on the table for some time.

It's with sadness we state this message. Lisa has, since her appearance on the Draconian demo Dark Oceans We Cry, continued to astonish and melt thousands of people's hearts over the years with her emotional vocal. The addition of Lisa is what helped us to get our long awaited record contract. We are very aware what she has meant to our band and the legacy she's left us with.

We are further sorry about all fans that never got the chance to see this line-up of Draconian; a line-up that made Draconian what it is today. This bad news will however not mean the end for us. The band is determined to enter a new era of productivity and artistic expression.

Lisa's appearance with Draconian at the 9th edition of Metal Female Voices in Belgium became her last show with the band. It's a worthy end of an almost 10 year calling and a beginning of something new for Draconian.

Our profoundest appreciation and gratitude to our friend Lisa Johansson for these years working together. We wish her and her family the best possible for the future."

Nov 17, 2011 at 4:29 AM Post #4,724 of 29,701
THALL.

Nov 17, 2011 at 4:33 AM Post #4,725 of 29,701
I have a russian band i have to show you people

Really well recorded and great band with a female singer. Folk metal ftw.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back