Lets Talk Metal
Jul 23, 2011 at 1:04 PM Post #3,662 of 29,685
Anime Digression:

I just watched Elfen Lied on the Tubes. Not exactly a great series but definitely brutal (hard to watch frankly in some scenes, for some reason the puppy dog has me more freaked than the underage sexual abuse scenes).

The story wasn't very fluid and the ending was well...as frustrating as most anime series.

You want a really great OVA, Serial Experiments Lain (its a bit dated now but still fantastic).

Of course there is always the 10 remakes of NGE.

And you can't go wrong with Miyazaki.

Jul 23, 2011 at 1:09 PM Post #3,663 of 29,685
pretty cool interview with one of the guys from Obscura.

http://www.metalunderground.com/news/details.cfm?newsid=70235

hilarious quote from the end of the video

"All the young kids are just attracted by children of bodom, we are support. try to show them there's more than just one sweep in A minor" HAHAHA!

Devin felt odd on the CoB tour. He made a comment to that effect on stage.

I am sure Septic Flesh and Obscura feel the same way. All the bands on that bill are very talented but they don't really coalesce well.

I just read an interview with the In Flames guitarist. Man they DO suck donkey balls, **** it Negakinu, I hate it when you are right.

Posting this because Dark Tranq still kicks butt and is still one of my all-time favorites (my favorite list needs to drastically change):

[VIDEO]http://youtu.be/vzVDt1xYFsM[/VIDEO]

Jul 23, 2011 at 1:20 PM Post #3,664 of 29,685

Quote:
Posting this because Dark Tranq still kicks butt and is still one of my all-time favorites (my favorite list needs to drastically change):

Nice video. DT is still holding the flag for what's left of Gothenburg metal. If you don't already have it, get their recent live DVD, it's an awesome performance. I really like the sequence in that song that begins just after the 3 minute mark btw, it's got a great doom vibe.

Jul 23, 2011 at 5:23 PM Post #3,665 of 29,685
Nice video. DT is still holding the flag for what's left of Gothenburg metal. If you don't already have it, get their recent live DVD, it's an awesome performance. I really like the sequence in that song that begins just after the 3 minute mark btw, it's got a great doom vibe.

Totally and apparently the song was written back in '98 (I think) but has finally made the light of day in 2011. There last album was a good solid effort. No, it wasn't "Damage Done," but had songs like above that really shows that Mikael and crew still have a lot of talent.

Jul 23, 2011 at 5:38 PM Post #3,666 of 29,685

Quote:
Anime Digression:

I just watched Elfen Lied on the Tubes. Not exactly a great series but definitely brutal (hard to watch frankly in some scenes, for some reason the puppy dog has me more freaked than the underage sexual abuse scenes).

The story wasn't very fluid and the ending was well...as frustrating as most anime series.

You want a really great OVA, Serial Experiments Lain (its a bit dated now but still fantastic).

Of course there is always the 10 remakes of NGE.

And you can't go wrong with Miyazaki.

Yes, the serie is flawed. The concept of this serie is simply great as are the characters, reasons why I love it so much. But it is way too short (as I said) and things are left way too open. A gem in a rough that didnt get a chance it should have got.

Manga (which was done after this TV serie) fixed this SOMEWHAT, but it is screwed up by some ridiculous and sickening fan service. And some originals characters personalities were changed a bit and why some new characters even exist cannot be comprehended by sane human mind. (what do you think about a teenage girl who still has to wear diaper I s*** you not!)

Oh, and ending is still crappy. Maybe worth of the read for more flesh around the story, but prepare for equal amount of stupidity too. X(

*edit* Oh, and yes, the puppy dog scene gives me the shivers of horror. Hell, I would propably do the very same thing what she did after seeing that madness.

Jul 23, 2011 at 6:36 PM Post #3,667 of 29,685
I just listened to Daylight Dies' Lost To The Living again after not hearing it for awhile, and I have to say I forgot just how **** good it was. I really hope they knock it out of the park again with the upcoming album.

Jul 23, 2011 at 8:38 PM Post #3,668 of 29,685

Quote:
I just listened to Daylight Dies' Lost To The Living again after not hearing it for awhile, and I have to say I forgot just how **** good it was. I really hope they knock it out of the park again with the upcoming album.

That was great! I'm glad to hear there are bands like this in the state I live in. I'm looking into their work as soon as I can. Thanks for the post 
biggrin.gif

Jul 24, 2011 at 12:42 PM Post #3,670 of 29,685

Quote:

Here's another one of my favorite tracks of theirs, from the 2006 album Dismantling Devotion.

Thanks again!

Jul 24, 2011 at 4:05 PM Post #3,671 of 29,685
I usually don't care for folk metal but this and Eluveitie both stand out from the crowd.

Jul 24, 2011 at 8:57 PM Post #3,672 of 29,685
Daylight Dies is really impressing me. I get hints of Opeth, Agalloch and Insomnium. All three of those bands are easily in my top 10!

Would you guys classify them as doom/progressive doom? I know a lot of people really hate categorizing groups into specific genres, but its kind of an issue with me. I might even have some slight ODC tendencies when it comes to organizing by genre. Who knows. 

Jul 25, 2011 at 12:14 AM Post #3,675 of 29,685

Quote:
Daylight Dies is really impressing me. I get hints of Opeth, Agalloch and Insomnium. All three of those bands are easily in my top 10!

Would you guys classify them as doom/progressive doom? I know a lot of people really hate categorizing groups into specific genres, but its kind of an issue with me. I might even have some slight ODC tendencies when it comes to organizing by genre. Who knows. 

There are some progressive and melodic elements in there, definitely. I really like how well produced their albums are, the only nitpick I have is the way they mic their guitars and the sometimes overly loud chord changes. As good as November's Doom is, I think DD is the best doom band from the US, and easily one of the best doom bands in the world.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back