Lets Talk Metal
Jul 22, 2011 at 3:43 AM Post #3,646 of 29,701

Quote:
And yes, Elfen Lied is brutals. My second favourite anime serie ever, first being Rurouni Kenshins prequel movie (despise the serie, love the prequel OVA!). What prevents it from being first is its length (too short that is.) and I absolutely hate cliffhanger endings like that. They drive me mad!

Elfen Lied was insanely great. There are very few anime series that I liked more, Basilisk being one. There are a lot of manga series that are totally METAL (Berserk anyone?) but they are often so darks and brutals that they just can't be shown on TV, even Japanese TV.

Jul 22, 2011 at 3:50 AM Post #3,647 of 29,701

Quote:

Elfen Lied was insanely great. There are very few anime series that I liked more, Basilisk being one. There are a lot of manga series that are totally METAL (Berserk anyone?) but they are often so darks and brutals that they just can't be shown on TV, even Japanese TV.

yep elfen lied is my favorite anime even after 2 years.

Jul 22, 2011 at 3:55 AM Post #3,648 of 29,701

Quote:
No sorry, the latest one that came up last week.

Interesting, I wasn't aware there was yet another Peace Sells remaster. As has already been said, the CD version to get is the Japanese Black Triangle. The '04 remaster series sucks, and the DVD-A also released around that time sucks. The first press vinyl does have an edge on the Black Triangle release, and if you don't have a turn table look for the needledrop from a certain vinyl ripper who uses a VPI scoutmaster. It's good stuff.

I think all of the original Megadeth mixes (on vinyl) still sound the best, the exception being Countdown To Extinction. The original mix is really bright and has almost no midrange, so the guitars get kind of lost which is too bad because Dave and Marty were just coming off their peak from RIP and are still **** good on that album. The standard remaster sucks, but MFSL did what they could to improve it, and I prefer their gold CD to even the original vinyl. The highs are still recessed far too much, taking it from a bright album to a really dark one, but otherwise the MFSL has the balls that the original just doesn't. If the MFSL had the highs from the original at roughly the same level paired with the much more forward bass and midrange, it would've been just about perfect. As it is, to my ears it's the better of the two.

Jul 22, 2011 at 3:59 AM Post #3,649 of 29,701

Quote:

you realize that Berserk was made into an anime right?

Jul 22, 2011 at 7:26 AM Post #3,652 of 29,701
Really well produced Metal with some dudes from Blind Guardian from Demons & Wizards. Very accurate recording of the drum parts and it doesn't get drowned out, usually the mark of a good recording.

Jul 22, 2011 at 8:49 AM Post #3,653 of 29,701

Quote:
Yes, I've watched all of it. The Beserk anime covers the most benign section of the manga, only showing you glimpses of the insanity in the last few episodes after Griffith is beaten and tortured.

I have heard that Berserk anime (watched couple of episodes but couldnt get into it back then) is well liked, but manga is where its really at. Some people really rave about it. I heard its quite disturbing too at the times, in a good way. Reading it is definetly in my to-do list.

Jul 22, 2011 at 3:03 PM Post #3,654 of 29,701

Quote:
Really well produced Metal with some dudes from Blind Guardian from Demons & Wizards. Very accurate recording of the drum parts and it doesn't get drowned out, usually the mark of a good recording.

I've got both albums by Demons and Wizards and they're rather decent for what it is.
Still doesn't measure up to the Uriah Heep album that they took their name from ;p.

Jul 22, 2011 at 3:16 PM Post #3,655 of 29,701
wow anime is popular even amongst metalheads.

Jul 22, 2011 at 3:58 PM Post #3,656 of 29,701

Quote:
wow anime is popular even amongst metalheads.

I wouldnt say "popular". A lot of metalheads seem to frown it or thats the impression I've got from what I have seen, but I think thats because of pure ignorance, not realising what anime actuallly is basically. Dismissing anime for being anime would be the same thing as dismissing a live-action movie just for being live-action movie. There is both good and bad anime, and I've seen a fair share of both. Just like I have seen a lot of terrible and good movies. I'm not a hardcore anime geek as some are, but I know a good serie when I see one and I watch it as such. Fantastic entertaiment with possibly good characters, story, theme and animation.

Jul 22, 2011 at 4:35 PM Post #3,657 of 29,701

Quote:
I wouldnt say "popular". A lot of metalheads seem to frown it or thats the impression I've got from what I have seen, but I think thats because of pure ignorance, not realising what anime actuallly is basically. Dismissing anime for being anime would be the same thing as dismissing a live-action movie just for being live-action movie. There is both good and bad anime, and I've seen a fair share of both. Just like I have seen a lot of terrible and good movies. I'm not a hardcore anime geek as some are, but I know a good serie when I see one and I watch it as such. Fantastic entertaiment with possibly good characters, story, theme and animation.

I think a lot of people assume that all anime is either Pokemon or Dragon Ball Z - stupid stuff for kids. You have to introduce them to a show like Death Note to get them to understand what we see in anime.

Jul 22, 2011 at 5:14 PM Post #3,658 of 29,701

Quote:
I think a lot of people assume that all anime is either Pokemon or Dragon Ball Z - stupid stuff for kids. You have to introduce them to a show like Death Note to get them to understand what we see in anime.

Death Note really isn't more serious than Dragon Ball it's just the USA/English version really comes off as kiddy.The original Japanese version was more mature,lots of sexual humor especially early Dragon Ball and for DBZ even the great music was cut out.The USA releases are like a mockery of the Japanese version it's really bad.
Death Note ran in Weekly Shonen Jump 2000s era where it's really watered down and censorship exists it also follows the typical basic Weekly Shonen Jump rules to making a story and characters which they really force into series these days.
Dragon Ball ran in Weekly Shonen Jump in the 80's and early 90's when Weekly Shonen Jump was violent and really wasn't forced to be toned down nudity was allowed you could have main characters in their 30's instead of a teenager more freedom really... stuff that ran in the magazine back then wouldn't be allowed in Shonen magazine these days Dragon Ball wasn't really hardcore but there are some things in the manga version that wouldn't be allowed in Jump these days.

Pokemon is a kids show although the Japanese version of even that had some things in it which you might not know like the darker skinned guy would makes comments to the girl that was in their group about her small breasts all the time.

Jul 22, 2011 at 5:33 PM Post #3,659 of 29,701

Quote:
Death Note really isn't more serious than Dragon Ball it's just the USA/English version really comes off as kiddy.The original Japanese version was more mature,lots of sexual humor especially early Dragon Ball and for DBZ even the great music was cut out.The USA releases are like a mockery of the Japanese version it's really bad.
Death Note ran in Weekly Shonen Jump 2000s era where it's really watered down and censorship exists it also follows the typical basic Weekly Shonen Jump rules to making a story and characters which they really force into series these days.
Dragon Ball ran in Weekly Shonen Jump in the 80's and early 90's when Weekly Shonen Jump was violent and really wasn't forced to be toned down nudity was allowed you could have main characters in their 30's instead of a teenager more freedom really... stuff that ran in the magazine back then wouldn't be allowed in Shonen magazine these days Dragon Ball wasn't really hardcore but there are some things in the manga version that wouldn't be allowed in Jump these days.

Pokemon is a kids show although the Japanese version of even that had some things in it which you might not know like the darker skinned guy would makes comments to the girl that was in their group about her small breasts all the time.

I'll leave that stuff to the otakus. All I know is that the Funimation/Cartoon Network DBZ is lame, while I quite enjoyed Death Note, at least until the junior detectives showed up at the end. I also think Death Note is a pretty good series to introduce to someone not familiar with anime, as opposed to say Giant Robot Fight Series number 864, now with even MORE angsty teenagers!

Death Note would also be a good name for a metal band, playing on "note".
tongue_smile.gif

Jul 22, 2011 at 5:41 PM Post #3,660 of 29,701

Quote:
I'll leave that stuff to the otakus. All I know is that the Funimation/Cartoon Network DBZ is lame, while I quite enjoyed Death Note, at least until the junior detectives showed up at the end. I also think Death Note is a pretty good series to introduce to someone not familiar with anime, as opposed to say Giant Robot Fight Series number 864, now with even MORE angsty teenagers!

Death Note would also be a good name for a metal band, playing on "note".
tongue_smile.gif

Yes Funimation ruined the series. And Viz ruined the manga.

As to what someone should see that's new to anime I would ask them what they like first.

But the show I would use (maybe) is Monster.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back