1. [size=12.0pt]Black Earth[/size][size=12.0pt] (1996)[/size]
  2. [size=12.0pt]Stigmata[/size][size=12.0pt] (1998)[/size]
  3. [size=12.0pt]Burning Bridges[/size][size=12.0pt] (1999)[/size]
  4. [size=12.0pt]Wages of Sin[/size][size=12.0pt] (2001)[/size]
  5. [size=12.0pt]Anthems of Rebellion[/size][size=12.0pt] (2003)[/size]
  6. [size=12.0pt]Doomsday Machine[/size][size=12.0pt] (2005)[/size]
  7. [size=12.0pt]Rise of the Tyrant[/size][size=12.0pt] (2007)[/size]
  8. [size=12.0pt]The Root of All Evil[/size][size=12.0pt] (2009)[/size]
I figure that it is a good call to still get into Arch Enemy’s back catalogue instead of getting the new one.
Wages of Sin …..2001….. was wonderful         ( 4 out of 5)
Doomsday Machine…..2005……This is one of my favorite metal albums ever made. The SQ is fantastic!      (5 out of 5)

I've never particularly liked the Liiva era of Arch Enemy. I know a lot of people think everything they've done since with Angela is TEH SUXXXXXX!!!!111one! but his vocals are just not for me. The songs themselves though are solid, and I enjoy hearing Angela provide vocals for them on the live DVDs and on Root. Wages most will agree remains the best AE album with Angela, although I've always loved Anthems. Doomsday took some time to grow on me, but I like it now quite a bit, and Andy Sneap's production is excellent, even if a lot of people aren't cool with Angela's multi-tracked vocals on that record.

To me, Khaos seems like a lot of stuff thrown together at the last minute so AE could continue to put out a new record every two years. The album just kinds of sputters along in fits and starts, with some smoke but never any fire. "We Are A Godless Entity" could've been the intro to a fantastic, slow paced doom metal crusher, but instead its followed by the usual instantly forgettable melodic death. There doesn't seem to be a reason for it to be where it is on the album.

Jun 9, 2011 at 3:16 AM Post #3,257 of 29,648
Yes, Wages of Sin is the 1st with her. I like that album. Anything Andy Sneap's has had a role with has been great from what I have found. I love Opeth's Damnation Live DVD he did. The sound is the best .He has to have the best production sound in metal!

Jun 9, 2011 at 4:10 AM Post #3,258 of 29,648

Quote:
Yes, Wages of Sin is the 1st with her. I like that album. Anything Andy Sneap's has had a role with has been great from what I have found. I love Opeth's Damnation Live DVD he did. The sound is the best .He has to have the best production sound in metal!

Yeah he generally does decent work, although his records in the last two years or so have seemed thinner and more compressed than in years past. Not a good trend. I almost always enjoy Swano produced records, even when he's not actually featured on the album. Dan knows what metal is supposed to sound like.

Jun 9, 2011 at 10:42 AM Post #3,261 of 29,648

Quote:
I've never particularly liked the Liiva era of Arch Enemy. I know a lot of people think everything they've done since with Angela is TEH SUXXXXXX!!!!111one! but his vocals are just not for me. The songs themselves though are solid, and I enjoy hearing Angela provide vocals for them on the live DVDs and on Root. Wages most will agree remains the best AE album with Angela, although I've always loved Anthems. Doomsday took some time to grow on me, but I like it now quite a bit, and Andy Sneap's production is excellent, even if a lot of people aren't cool with Angela's multi-tracked vocals on that record.

To me, Khaos seems like a lot of stuff thrown together at the last minute so AE could continue to put out a new record every two years. The album just kinds of sputters along in fits and starts, with some smoke but never any fire. "We Are A Godless Entity" could've been the intro to a fantastic, slow paced doom metal crusher, but instead its followed by the usual instantly forgettable melodic death. There doesn't seem to be a reason for it to be where it is on the album.

Heck no! I can't stand any of AE's work prior to Angela. The vocals were just awful until she joined.

Jun 9, 2011 at 4:19 PM Post #3,262 of 29,648

Quote:

Too early. To my knowledge Morbid Angel hasnt started bitching and moaning to their (ex)fans yet like Cryptopsy did. Though I guess it is only a matter of time...

First day of Sauna behind me. Today was a short warmup day, with only Moonsorrow, Helloween, Omnium Gatherum and Ozzy Osbourne. Moonsorrow was great, although their music suffers in outside live-enviroment. Guitar melodies are severely drowned out by the bass. Helloween was great! Although they did have one waaayyy too long shoutout pause in middle of one song, it grew boring fast, crowd got cold.

Ozzy Osbourne was a nice surprise though! For an old fart he was very lively. I liked the gig, songs were all good and they played several old Black Sabbath songs too. Though what the heck is that white foam gunk he sprays at the audience? Luckily I was far enough, I dont want that stuff on my face.

Jun 11, 2011 at 5:59 AM Post #3,264 of 29,648
Jun 11, 2011 at 1:50 PM Post #3,265 of 29,648

Quote:

The Downfall parody video is a good one.

I guess I must be one of the close minded metal fans he's complaining about, because a concert with all the extremist hardcore and jungle terror drum and bass DJs duuuudddeesss!!!!!!!!!!! sounds like something I would hate. What's more, I would probably want to punch everyone there.

Jun 11, 2011 at 5:37 PM Post #3,266 of 29,648

Quote:

I stand corrected. Nice links!
biggrin.gif

Closed minded eh? Closed minded to obvious crap, yes! Even though metal is what I listen 90% of the time, I have rather wide music taste extending to some electronic music. Including Terrorcore, the little I have heard of it and liked it. However Morbid Anges latest album has nothing to do with such music. Its just pure crap that makes no sense!

-edit- Oh my, the Tumblt link is so full of win!
etysmile.gif
  And of course someone made a hitler video too.

Jun 11, 2011 at 11:56 PM Post #3,268 of 29,648

Quote:
So, Morbid Angel's latest album has leaked... I said few pages back that TOO EXTREME is a contender for worst song title ever. Not only is it that, it is propably one of the worst songs ever. I seriously could endure it bit over halfway before giving up on disbelief. What is this crap!? Words are not enough to describe this, so just listen...

Seriously, if Morbid Angel REALLY wants to try this electronic/deathmetal combination, they should atleast take a listen on The Berzerker how to do it somewhat properly. (unless MA is aiming for something else? I cant really tell) That isnt particularly great band either, but definetly more worthy of using "Too extreme!" title as their songs really are bloody intense.
biggrin.gif

im scratching my head right now. What was that? what was i listening to.

Jun 12, 2011 at 8:40 AM Post #3,270 of 29,648
I love Morbid Angel's past albums! I'm actually getting into them more than ever. I am also realizing that everybody has been ripping off their style. Nile comes to mind the most but I think the whole death metal community owes them for all the great work they did in the past. I would call what we are seeing here at Head-fi as greatness backlash.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back