Lets Talk Metal
Jun 15, 2011 at 2:48 AM Post #3,286 of 29,670

Quote:
I have a bit of a problem: I really like system of a down, usually because I have no clue what their song is about but they keep it simple while changing it up so i never get bored of listening. Its pretty unique, giving it a love it or hate it vibe with people. I also really like Maximum the Hormone. You may have never heard of them but they became big ish by doing anime theme songs for Akagi and Death note. Their first album was absolute garage band rubbish, probably one of those acts thats only good live, but every album after that has gotten better and better. Basically, i like it when metal can switch it up and be imaginative yet lyrical/melodical. I'm not terribly into the crazy ass riffs and screamo stuff. What would you guys recommend for me? I tried slipknot but that didnt gel with me too much. Same with marylin Manson, some of his songs are great but for the most part im not engaged enough in the music to want to listen to the whole album.

other bands I like are pendulum (in silico was more or less crap though), muse, pink floyd, and a few radiohead albums. hendrix and zeppelin dont usually get a listen from me. maybe a "best of" album but nothing more.

Slipknot and Marylin Manson are really not metal. Check out some of these guys on Youtube, see if something sticks for you:

Be'lakor
Dark Tranquillity
Darkane
Diablo
Eternal Tears Of Sorrow
Gojira
Hypocrisy
In Mourning
Insomnium
Moonspell
Mors Principium Est
Noumena
Soilwork
Strapping Young Lad
Zonaria

Jun 15, 2011 at 4:10 PM Post #3,287 of 29,670

Quote:
I have a bit of a problem: I really like system of a down, usually because I have no clue what their song is about but they keep it simple while changing it up so i never get bored of listening. Its pretty unique, giving it a love it or hate it vibe with people. I also really like Maximum the Hormone. You may have never heard of them but they became big ish by doing anime theme songs for Akagi and Death note. Their first album was absolute garage band rubbish, probably one of those acts thats only good live, but every album after that has gotten better and better. Basically, i like it when metal can switch it up and be imaginative yet lyrical/melodical. I'm not terribly into the crazy ass riffs and screamo stuff. What would you guys recommend for me? I tried slipknot but that didnt gel with me too much. Same with marylin Manson, some of his songs are great but for the most part im not engaged enough in the music to want to listen to the whole album.

other bands I like are pendulum (in silico was more or less crap though), muse, pink floyd, and a few radiohead albums. hendrix and zeppelin dont usually get a listen from me. maybe a "best of" album but nothing more.

For some reason I think you could like Progressive Metal. Dream Theater is an obvious place to start. Give this song a listen from start to finish.

Jun 15, 2011 at 4:33 PM Post #3,288 of 29,670

Quote:

Unexpect reminds of a slightly more metal version of System of a Down with female vocals added.  

I'm going to go way out there and also say that if you like music with a lot of changes in tempo and vocal style you may like stuff that Ihsahn is/has been involved in (Emperor, solo work, Peccatum).  I say this because when I listened to a lot of SOAD when I was younger I enjoyed those aspects and they are some of the same things that have drawn me to Ihsahn's work even though it doesn't sound at all like System of a Down. 

Jun 15, 2011 at 5:09 PM Post #3,289 of 29,670

Quote:

Unexpect reminds of a slightly more metal version of System of a Down with female vocals added.  

I'm going to go way out there and also say that if you like music with a lot of changes in tempo and vocal style you may like stuff that Ihsahn is/has been involved in (Emperor, solo work, Peccatum).  I say this because when I listened to a lot of SOAD when I was younger I enjoyed those aspects and they are some of the same things that have drawn me to Ihsahn's work even though it doesn't sound at all like System of a Down. 

I saw SOAD with the Mars Volta (another good act) many moons ago and I thought they were excellent.  I wouldn't call them metal per se but they put on a great live show.

Jun 15, 2011 at 5:22 PM Post #3,290 of 29,670
Dissection- Storm Of The Light's Bane
Entombed- Clandestine
In Flames- The jester Race/Black Ash
Vader- De Profundis
Dimmu Borgir- Enthroned Darkness Triumphant
Opeth- Morningrise
Immortal- Blizzard Beasts
Naglfar- Vittra
Overkill- From The Underground And Below
Emperor- IX Equilibrium
Turbonegro- Apocalypse Dudes
Satyricon- The Shadowthrone
Carcass- Necroticism-Descanting The Insalubrious
Beherit- The Oath Of Black Blood                                                                                     What's In Your IPod?

Jun 15, 2011 at 11:17 PM Post #3,291 of 29,670

Quote:
Slipknot and Marylin Manson are really not metal. Check out some of these guys on Youtube, see if something sticks for you:

Be'lakor
Dark Tranquillity
Darkane
Diablo
Eternal Tears Of Sorrow
Gojira
Hypocrisy
In Mourning
Insomnium
Moonspell
Mors Principium Est
Noumena
Soilwork
Strapping Young Lad
Zonaria

x2. so not metal.

Jun 15, 2011 at 11:57 PM Post #3,292 of 29,670
The hate on Slipknot is kind of annoying. Sure their last album was god awful, but up to Vol. 3 they were still "metal." Hell even that piece of crap last album was kind of metal. Why are we hating on them when we could be scorning deathcore?

Jun 16, 2011 at 12:09 AM Post #3,293 of 29,670

Quote:
The hat on Slipknot is kind of annoying. Sure their last album was god awful, but up to Vol. 3 they were still "metal." Hell even that piece of crap last album was kind of metal. Why are we hating on them when we could be scorning deathcore?

Any numetal artist seems to get hated. Knot,Coal Chamber,Mushroomhead,Korn.Encyclopedia Metalium will never even have any info on such bands. If you go see Slipknot live and try to experience the pit for an hour, you will know the answer.

Jun 16, 2011 at 12:09 AM Post #3,294 of 29,670

Quote:
The hat on Slipknot is kind of annoying. Sure their last album was god awful, but up to Vol. 3 they were still "metal." Hell even that piece of crap last album was kind of metal. Why are we hating on them when we could be scorning deathcore?

because i don't like any nu metal. but i love system of a down but i don't consider them metal. maybe hard rock.

Jun 16, 2011 at 8:37 AM Post #3,295 of 29,670

Quote:
Any numetal artist seems to get hated. Knot,Coal Chamber,Mushroomhead,Korn.Encyclopedia Metalium will never even have any info on such bands. If you go see Slipknot live and try to experience the pit for an hour, you will know the answer.

Actually try an old school Slayer pit and you will *finally* know the answer...

The violence of the pit metric has nothing to do with the music.  The bloodiest (I mean that) pit I have ever seen was at a Primus concert.

I like old school Korn (Issues era) though I must say I don't listen to it anymore.  Tastes change.

Jun 16, 2011 at 8:38 AM Post #3,296 of 29,670
Ok, I have to ask....

Sounds of a Playground Fading is on the Tubes....has anyone listened to it?

Hint:  Its much better than A Sense of Purpose (but still in that same vain).

-aps

Jun 16, 2011 at 11:29 AM Post #3,297 of 29,670
Not a fan of In Flames, so wouldn't know

Jun 16, 2011 at 11:31 AM Post #3,298 of 29,670

Quote:

I for one have nothing against Slipknot, I listened them as a teen and I still like some songs but they are not really "metal". They belong into numetal movement that is generally seen as a weak comercial bastardisation of metal, pretty much like Glam was back in the '80s I think. Numetal is quite dead now, (even Slipknot has taken some distance from the genre) and Deathcore is now where "it's at" with kids nowadays.

Jun 16, 2011 at 11:44 AM Post #3,299 of 29,670
nu-Metal may have been a "bastardization" but it sure as hell had more creativity then whatever that crap they are calling metal nowadays.

Here is a literal timeline, it's like the excitement was overflowing at the beginning and by the end everyone was like "aw screw it." I mean heck metal peaked around '93

Jun 16, 2011 at 12:09 PM Post #3,300 of 29,670

Quote:
nu-Metal may have been a "bastardization" but it sure as hell had more creativity then whatever that crap they are calling metal nowadays.

Here is a literal timeline, it's like the excitement was overflowing at the beginning and by the end everyone was like "aw screw it." I mean heck metal peaked around '93

lets call that the history of mainstream metal. there is gold today its just hard to find.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back