Lets Talk Metal
Sep 5, 2016 at 1:27 AM Post #24,257 of 29,654
  @sludgeogre

Here's your black metal playlist!

Went back to your list again, find it awesome that you had one of my favorite songs of all time in there, Agalloch's Bloodbirds, from whichever part of the 3 part song.

I'll never forget seeing them play that song live in Portland before they went off for one of their european tours. Don Anderson cried at the end of that song and ripped all of the strings off of his guitar and slammed it on the ground and on the amps. It was intense. One of the best shows of my life.

Also went back through Dissection and forgot how much I loved them. I could really get into more black metal in that vein. No one seems to do it as well as they did. Sadface.

Sep 5, 2016 at 1:35 AM Post #24,259 of 29,654
  Went back to your list again, find it awesome that you had one of my favorite songs of all time in there, Agalloch's Bloodbirds, from whichever part of the 3 part song.

I'll never forget seeing them play that song live in Portland before they went off for one of their european tours. Don Anderson cried at the end of that song and ripped all of the strings off of his guitar and slammed it on the ground and on the amps. It was intense. One of the best shows of my life.

Also went back through Dissection and forgot how much I loved them. I could really get into more black metal in that vein. No one seems to do it as well as they did. Sadface.

But did you finish it?
bigsmile_face.gif

Sep 5, 2016 at 1:36 AM Post #24,260 of 29,654

Love these two! They don't get talked about enough.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Somberlain

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Storm_of_the_Light%27s_Bane

Be interesting how many MLOs suicide?

Sep 5, 2016 at 1:54 AM Post #24,261 of 29,654
  And one more new (non metal) Opeth track. Damnationesque, makes me think of Steven Wilson and Jethro Tull. I like it.

It's alright. I love Opeth, they got me into death metal, they are my favorite band, I've seen them many times. This is meh for me. The lyrics, the nature shots, the old timey font, woodwind instruments, all of it just remind me so much of this, and it makes me sad:

But did you finish it?
bigsmile_face.gif

Not yet, need to actually step through it in an ordered fashion. I have a week of vacation coming up soon and I'll get through the whole thing. Just had to browse through it again as someone on an FB group was asking for black metal recommendations and I was like "boy do I have the list for you!" hope he checks it out.

Sep 5, 2016 at 3:19 AM Post #24,262 of 29,654
  And one more new (non metal) Opeth track. Damnationesque, makes me think of Steven Wilson and Jethro Tull. I like it.

Pretty nice!

Sep 5, 2016 at 11:15 AM Post #24,264 of 29,654
Half way through the new Opeth song and I just stopped and played Burden. Same instrumentation, way more interesting songwriting.

New stuff is competent but damn boring to me.

Sep 5, 2016 at 11:27 AM Post #24,265 of 29,654
Half way through the new Opeth song and I just stopped and played Burden. Same instrumentation, way more interesting songwriting.

New stuff is competent but damn boring to me.

Unfortunately I have to agree. It is not necessarily the death growls that are missing but the juxtaposition of hard driving almost speed metal with the softer more melodic passages that gave Opeth its distinctive sound. Without that Opeth is just another competent progressive band.

Sep 5, 2016 at 12:28 PM Post #24,266 of 29,654

I would not describe this as Damnation-esque aside from the fact that some of the stylistic elements are there. Listen to the first two tracks of that album. There's so much sorrow. Both have brought me to tears. I have zero emotional reaction to this new song. It has no soul. All I think is that they're trying to pull off hippie music. But I'd rather listen to genuine hippie music when it comes to that. At least I hate it less than most of their newer material...

Love these two! They don't get talked about enough.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Somberlain

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Storm_of_the_Light%27s_Bane

Be interesting how many MLOs suicide?

You may remember that I got an autographed (by all the band members) first edition of Reinkaos. Ended up selling it on eBay for hundreds of dollars. It feels kind of odd profiting from the suicide of a black metal musician. I wanted some easy cash at the time and thought to myself, "I will make...a sacrifice!"

Another black metal musician who I was friends with hung himself in 2004. I was joking around with him the night before and had no idea he felt that way.

Not yet, need to actually step through it in an ordered fashion. I have a week of vacation coming up soon and I'll get through the whole thing. Just had to browse through it again as someone on an FB group was asking for black metal recommendations and I was like "boy do I have the list for you!" hope he checks it out.

I pretty much already knew the answer...'cause I'm a telepath!

Er, um, where were we...

ahaha. Whenever I want to find the link to that playlist of mine, I go to Google and search for "here's your black metal playlist" in quotes, since no one else on the Internet actually said that.

lunar poetry is the NUTZ gang
beerchug.gif

Track 4 is my favorite on that one.

Sep 5, 2016 at 2:57 PM Post #24,267 of 29,654
Unfortunately I have to agree. It is not necessarily the death growls that are missing but the juxtaposition of hard driving almost speed metal with the softer more melodic passages that gave Opeth its distinctive sound. Without that Opeth is just another competent progressive band.

Even acoustic or partially acoustic songs on previous albums just had more interesting structures and a more distinctive tonality and mood. It's just really down to my subjective taste and the new stuff is too bland for my buds.

Glad this conversation happened though, started listening to Burden and then was like "well I should just listen to the whole album, obviously."

I'm not huge Opeth superfan, mostly just listen to Watershed, hits that the sweet spot of a band that is part prog/death metal, part Deep Purple. It sounds so ******* awesome. Also love the organ and mellotron all over this album.

This song rules.

Sep 5, 2016 at 4:18 PM Post #24,268 of 29,654

Funny story. I saw this band live without having any idea who they were. I kept seeing this 5'1 dude walking around the venue who looked like a skrillex wannabe. Turns out he was the vocalist for this band and has some of the more brutal lows I've ever heard

Sep 5, 2016 at 8:17 PM Post #24,269 of 29,654
I would not describe this as Damnation-esque aside from the fact that some of the stylistic elements are there. Listen to the first two tracks of that album. There's so much sorrow. Both have brought me to tears. I have zero emotional reaction to this new song. It has no soul. All I think is that they're trying to pull off hippie music. But I'd rather listen to genuine hippie music when it comes to that. At least I hate it less than most of their newer material...

You may remember that I got an autographed (by all the band members) first edition of Reinkaos. Ended up selling it on eBay for hundreds of dollars. It feels kind of odd profiting from the suicide of a black metal musician. I wanted some easy cash at the time and thought to myself, "I will make...a sacrifice!"

Another black metal musician who I was friends with hung himself in 2004. I was joking around with him the night before and had no idea he felt that way.

I pretty much already knew the answer...'cause I'm a telepath!

Er, um, where were we...

ahaha. Whenever I want to find the link to that playlist of mine, I go to Google and search for "here's your black metal playlist" in quotes, since no one else on the Internet actually said that.

Track 4 is my favorite on that one.

Well, the odd feeling comes from that classy part of having respect. I'm sure news papers and EBay make a ton off the deceased. HaHa.

Still, I think suicide is wrong, but that's my humble opinion. I don't judge him, every one has their own spirituality to find. Though it was kind of creepy when you hear about how drastic the group became at one point. Thinking to kill girlfriends or anyone who left the group? It's kind of like a movie.

Never liked that third album much. At one point I had double vinyl sets of both one and two. The vinyls had the bonus tracks that the double CD editions had. I still have the double CD editions. One of the best bands in our subgenre. People also really forget how influential Dissection was as they were HUGE and toured all over Europe showing a new cutting edge at the time.

Sep 5, 2016 at 8:52 PM Post #24,270 of 29,654
Well, the odd feeling comes from that classy part of having respect. I'm sure news papers and EBay make a ton off the deceased. HaHa.

Still, I think suicide is wrong, but that's my humble opinion. I don't judge him, every one has their own spirituality to find. Though it was kind of creepy when you hear about how drastic the group became at one point. Thinking to kill girlfriends or anyone who left the group? It's kind of like a movie.

Never liked that third album much. At one point I had double vinyl sets of both one and two. The vinyls had the bonus tracks that the double CD editions had. I still have the double CD editions. One of the best bands in our subgenre. People also really forget how influential Dissection was as they were HUGE and toured all over Europe showing a new cutting edge at the time.

Wait, you're talking about the Dissection band members? Wow.

I got the 2 CD reissues as well, plus I have an earlier reissue of SOTLB. Don't know if that first reissue was remastered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back