Lets Talk Metal
Nov 27, 2010 at 6:29 AM Post #2,311 of 29,660
I haven't visited this thread for a few months. A bit too much black and death metal for an old progressive and (US) power metal fan like me... I just have to share this screen dump that I took a few minutes ago when I looked through old threads I've participated in:

Is this Metal or what?

Nov 27, 2010 at 6:34 AM Post #2,312 of 29,660

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Kyuss?  Hmmm...have to check them out...
EDIT: Kyuss.  Pass.  I didn't realize this was Queens of the Stone Age stuff.

I really dig Meshuggah.  I think Combustion and Bleed off their latest is just amazing.  For some reason I like Meshuggah  a lot better than Gojira.

To me, even though QOTSA was formed out of the remains of Kyuss, I don't hear a lot of stylistic similarities. Maybe I hear it in the fuzzy, drop-tuned guitars, but that's about it. Kyuss is much more raw and aggressive, with (I feel) superior song-writing and dynamics. I would at least recommend that you check out some tracks. I'd especially recommend Son of a Bitch, Green Machine, Freedom Run, Odyssey, and Gardenia (aka, just about the heaviest song ever written).

I really can't decide on my favorite Meshuggah. I think DEP is probably their best in terms of the actual songs, but I love the style, speed, and aggression on Chaosphere, I love the atmosphere of Nothing (and the slower rhythms which really serve to highlight just how rhythmically brilliant they are), I love the cohesiveness and experimentation of I and Catch-33, and Obzen may be their most purely RAWKIN CD (I agree that both Combustion and Bleed are real standouts... somewhat closer to their thrash roots than the other tracks). On a side note, I love watching drum covers of Meshuggah... I can't believe there are actually human beings out there that can play War.

Nov 27, 2010 at 7:48 AM Post #2,314 of 29,660

Quote:
Dude, it's sad but I think you just don't get rock 
confused.gif

I used to listen to a lot of doom, stoner rock, desert rock etc. A band I was very much into that reminded me a bit of Kyuss/QOTSA was Blind Dog. Anyone know them? ****ing awesome band. 

And ofcourse the mighty Clutch! Still one of my favourite bands ever. Yes you read that correctly. Not Inverted Goat Holocaust Pentagram Nun Rapist 666 Ov Death. 

Nov 27, 2010 at 10:22 AM Post #2,315 of 29,660

Quote:
I know it's not metal to brag about your kids, but my 3 year-old son keeps asking me to put on Children of Bodom (Are You Dead Yet is the album in question).  Yesterday he wanted me to play it twice in a row, and when I told him no after the first listen, he asked for Blind Guardian.

Reminds me of: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gH7oEcpY1Uk

Nov 27, 2010 at 11:33 AM Post #2,316 of 29,660

Quote:
^absolutely yes.  some refer to them as metalcore, whatever the hell that means.

Trogdor doesn't know what he is missing when he refers condescendingly to that "Queens of the Stone Age stuff"

Dude, it's sad but I think you just don't get rock 
confused.gif

Wait, wait...where is DaveBSC....I bet 10 to 1 if i said I liked it, you would have said like, "Then I hates it..."

Dude....it wasn't meant to be a condescending...it was merely a reference...I don't dig stoner rock, again I am not saying its awful, its just not my thing.

You're right, my favorite band is Stone Temple Pilots and I am currently skating in front of your local 711 with my brand new pair of DC shoes.  You caught me.

Nov 27, 2010 at 11:39 AM Post #2,317 of 29,660

Quote:
Quote:
I know it's not metal to brag about your kids, but my 3 year-old son keeps asking me to put on Children of Bodom (Are You Dead Yet is the album in question).  Yesterday he wanted me to play it twice in a row, and when I told him no after the first listen, he asked for Blind Guardian.

Reminds me of: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gH7oEcpY1Uk

I got to dig up the link but there is a You Tube video of father and son doing a Boy Scout like craft project where they make a church out of ice cream popsicle sticks...

And then proceed to BURN IT.  It was really really funny,

Nov 27, 2010 at 10:14 PM Post #2,320 of 29,660

Quote:
I haven't visited this thread for a few months. A bit too much black and death metal for an old progressive and (US) power metal fan like me... I just have to share this screen dump that I took a few minutes ago when I looked through old threads I've participated in:

Is this Metal or what?

PRICE CHECK! Cleanup Aisle Six! "Rotten Body Landslide"! And don't forget our special sale on "Every Bone Broken Chicken"! Hurry! Enjoy our tasty "Hammer Smashed Face"! Aisle Three.

Nov 28, 2010 at 6:01 AM Post #2,321 of 29,660
lollylollylol

I'm just here for the laughs

I might add that this is one of the few threads where you can say **** and not be reprimanded.  Quite unnecessarily too 
biggrin.gif
  I guess it helps to bury it a few lines into you post so no-one notices on the threads page.

Nov 28, 2010 at 6:10 AM Post #2,322 of 29,660
Troggy I've never said I hate anything you like, and I never will.  It's not my style, just preferring to remain silent rather than to criticise what others dig.  It's simple courteous behaviour.

My comments were to bring your awareness to the fact that you don't always demonstrate that kind of restraint.

I don't mean to antagonise you but it must seem like I'm picking on you, so I apologise for that.  I guess I can't help it when I see what I consider less-than-optimal behaviour on this forum.  And you don't need to remind me that I am probably just as guilty of poor form as anyone around here.  I manage to get myself into lots of strife 
ph34r.gif
 but that's me and I haven't been banned (yet), so take it or leave it.

Peace bro'

hey! I just realised we have something in common.  We both like STP. coooooooooooooooooooooool

Nov 28, 2010 at 9:23 AM Post #2,323 of 29,660

Quote:
Troggy I've never said I hate anything you like, and I never will.  It's not my style, just preferring to remain silent rather than to criticise what others dig.  It's simple courteous behaviour.

My comments were to bring your awareness to the fact that you don't always demonstrate that kind of restraint.

I don't mean to antagonise you but it must seem like I'm picking on you, so I apologise for that.  I guess I can't help it when I see what I consider less-than-optimal behaviour on this forum.  And you don't need to remind me that I am probably just as guilty of poor form as anyone around here.  I manage to get myself into lots of strife 
ph34r.gif
 but that's me and I haven't been banned (yet), so take it or leave it.

Peace bro'

hey! I just realised we have something in common.  We both like STP. coooooooooooooooooooooool

Shall we hold hands and run through your wicked garden now?

LOL.

For the record, after reading my post again...I said "PASS."   Next time I will say, "Not my cup of tea?"  Deal?  Again, nothing against Kyuss.  Its actually a  lot better than the Queens stuff as someone suggested.

With that said, I never liked Queens of the Stone Age (they are clearly a close cousin), I honestly don't know why.  Again, they aren't awful, they just are...well...meh.

Small corollary and more on topic, I don't really like Lamb of God.  I don't know why either.  I have listened to ALL of their albums.  I have seen them live I think 3 times (as either an opening act or part of a larger festival). 

They just do nothing for me. 

My biggest complaint is most of their work sounds the same....obviously you can make that criticism of other bands I like....

Nov 28, 2010 at 10:26 AM Post #2,324 of 29,660
^ The funny thing is is that I agree about QOTSA being "meh", but I love Kyuss. QOTSA is like Kyuss with all the badassness sucked out of them, really. I also agree RE Lamb of God. I also have heard all their albums and have heard them live twice. FWIW, I think they're a much better live band than an album band, and Killadelphia (I think it's called) is a pretty damn good live metal album. I also agree that they tend to sound the same, and I actually think this is my general complaint about most of the modern retro-thrash revival bands. What happened to the days when metal bands wrote songs that sounded quite distinct from each other?

Nov 28, 2010 at 1:30 PM Post #2,325 of 29,660
Allright, lets begin with missing genres: 

Power Metal
Speed Metal
Symphonic Metal
Stoner Metal (Yes, it does exist, believe it or not)
Electrified Metal
Grunge Metal
Folk Metal
Christian Metal (I have yet to hear a good result from this genre)
Satanic Metal
Gothic Metal
Scremo / Screamo

Thats all i could think of right now, anyway - Lets add a few keystone bands to most of these genres to prove they even exist even though some of them should have been obvious:

Power Metal: (VERY large genre...How could you miss it ^^)
Hammerfall
Iced Earth
Stratovarious
Blind Guardian

Speed Metal: 
Dragonforce (The leading master of this genre)

Symphonic Metal:
Symphony X
Therion

Stoner Metal:
Queens of the Stone Age (Only known successful band in this genre)

Electified Metal / Electronic Metal:
Celldweller (A few of his albums)
Dope Stars Inc. 

Folk / Viking metal: (Non-death metal ones)
Glittertind
Tyr

Gothic Metal:
The 69 Eyes
Moonspell
Tiamat

Satanic Metal:
Unleashed (partially)

The rest of the genres i have simply come across, but didnt like, so i have nothing from them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back