Lets Talk Metal
Nov 28, 2010 at 2:07 PM Post #2,326 of 29,660

Quote:
Allright, lets begin with missing genres: 

Power Metal
Speed Metal
Symphonic Metal
Stoner Metal (Yes, it does exist, believe it or not)
Electrified Metal
Grunge Metal
Folk Metal
Christian Metal (I have yet to hear a good result from this genre)
Satanic Metal
Gothic Metal
Scremo / Screamo

Thats all i could think of right now, anyway - Lets add a few keystone bands to most of these genres to prove they even exist even though some of them should have been obvious:

Power Metal: (VERY large genre...How could you miss it ^^)
Hammerfall
Iced Earth
Stratovarious
Blind Guardian

Speed Metal: 
Dragonforce (The leading master of this genre)

Symphonic Metal:
Symphony X
Therion

Stoner Metal:
Queens of the Stone Age (Only known successful band in this genre)

Electified Metal / Electronic Metal:
Celldweller (A few of his albums)
Dope Stars Inc. 

Folk / Viking metal: (Non-death metal ones)
Glittertind
Tyr

Gothic Metal:
The 69 Eyes
Moonspell
Tiamat

Satanic Metal:
Unleashed (partially)

The rest of the genres i have simply come across, but didnt like, so i have nothing from them.

Some corrections. Dragonforce is Power Metal. Just because they play fast doesnt make it speed metal. Actually I have no clear idea what speed metal is now that I think about it. Sometimes its described as offshoot of Thrash Metal, sometimes its something else.

There is no such thing as Satanic Metal as a genre. A lot of genres have satanic, pagan and occult themes but Unleashed in particular is Death Metal. Black Metal however is most known about such themes though there are bands who handle other subjects like nature, misanthropy and whatever. So again, there is no such genre as Satanic Metal as any band can be satanic, for real or not, if they wish to be.

Never heard of Electronic Metal. Closest thing I can think of is Industrial Metal but I have no idea if you mean that.

I dont mean to be rude but those few things hurted my eyes. :) So errr... what was the point of your post again? Just a list of genres for poops and giggles?

Nov 28, 2010 at 2:36 PM Post #2,327 of 29,660

Quote:
I dont mean to be rude but those few things hurted my eyes. :) So errr... what was the point of your post again? Just a list of genres for poops and giggles?

Yeah I was wondering that as well. What are the "missing genres"? There's been plenty of discussion around here about all of those, so I'm not sure what the "missing" is about. I certainly hope this isn't supposed to become some sort of add every band/genre you can think of off the top of your head super list that everyone adds to. There's no point, genres are arguable, there's far too much blending, and of course there's what easily 10,000 metal bands out there.

Nov 28, 2010 at 3:17 PM Post #2,329 of 29,660

Quote:
Allright, lets begin with missing genres: 

Power Metal
Speed Metal
Symphonic Metal
Stoner Metal (Yes, it does exist, believe it or not)
Electrified Metal
Grunge Metal
Folk Metal
Christian Metal (I have yet to hear a good result from this genre)
Satanic Metal
Gothic Metal
Scremo / Screamo

Thats all i could think of right now, anyway - Lets add a few keystone bands to most of these genres to prove they even exist even though some of them should have been obvious:

Power Metal: (VERY large genre...How could you miss it ^^)
Hammerfall
Iced Earth
Stratovarious
Blind Guardian

Speed Metal: 
Dragonforce (The leading master of this genre)

Symphonic Metal:
Symphony X
Therion

Stoner Metal:
Queens of the Stone Age (Only known successful band in this genre)

Electified Metal / Electronic Metal:
Celldweller (A few of his albums)
Dope Stars Inc. 

Folk / Viking metal: (Non-death metal ones)
Glittertind
Tyr

Gothic Metal:
The 69 Eyes
Moonspell
Tiamat

Satanic Metal:
Unleashed (partially)

The rest of the genres i have simply come across, but didnt like, so i have nothing from them.

Not to be a pisser, but is QotSA really metal?  Really?

Nov 28, 2010 at 6:33 PM Post #2,330 of 29,660
Oh joy....Well apparently i was a dweeb and didnt realize there were 156 pages in this thread :)
To answer questions: I understood it as if the guy who started the post, were attempting to list all the genres. And the genres i mentioned has been what band called their music or what I've seen them listed as in CD stores. 
And Dragonforce is normally listed as either power metal or speed metal, but due to their style not completely being the same as power metal. And Speed Metal is mostly considered a sub-genre to Power Metal, but its true that it is a slightly "floating" genre.
And yes, believe it or not QotSA is actually considered Stoner Metal. Not saying i would agree with it making sense, but so be it. 
And Electronic Metal is indeed a Sub-genre to Industrial metal but with a stronger electronic influence. 
Conclusion: All the genres and more weird ones doest actually exist like it or not, its just sub-genres. And i shall happily be the first to admit there's a rediculous amount of those around, but no need to get grumpy about it.

Best regards: 
Victor J. Halgaard

Nov 28, 2010 at 11:02 PM Post #2,331 of 29,660

Quote:
Oh joy....Well apparently i was a dweeb and didnt realize there were 156 pages in this thread :)
To answer questions: I understood it as if the guy who started the post, were attempting to list all the genres. And the genres i mentioned has been what band called their music or what I've seen them listed as in CD stores. 
And Dragonforce is normally listed as either power metal or speed metal, but due to their style not completely being the same as power metal. And Speed Metal is mostly considered a sub-genre to Power Metal, but its true that it is a slightly "floating" genre.
And yes, believe it or not QotSA is actually considered Stoner Metal. Not saying i would agree with it making sense, but so be it. 
And Electronic Metal is indeed a Sub-genre to Industrial metal but with a stronger electronic influence. 
Conclusion: All the genres and more weird ones doest actually exist like it or not, its just sub-genres. And i shall happily be the first to admit there's a rediculous amount of those around, but no need to get grumpy about it.

Best regards: 
Victor J. Halgaard

I would like to state that if anyone has seen DragonForce, you will note that they do not lead any category of any music genre other than the genre of musicians who need loads of practice.  My 2 cents on that one.

EDIT: Herman has gotten better but some of their early shows, man they were awful.

Nov 28, 2010 at 11:55 PM Post #2,333 of 29,660

Quote:
HAHAHAHAHA. No. They died in the 80's.

Mathcore FTW.

There was a great response on another forum about that. (In response to a poster who said that Justice was their last good album)

"Untrue. I would have to respectfully disagree. Let us not forget that the Black Album came right after this, and despite its widespread commercial success was still a great and even possibly their best albu-

Aw who am I kidding, I can't keep a straight face, everything after this album was grade A crap."

Nov 29, 2010 at 3:57 AM Post #2,334 of 29,660
When you start to get too entangled in genres, it can become a bit complicated. If I can comment a bit on the list by VictorHaalgard, my definitions are a bit different.

I would for example see two parallel movements of power metal: US and European. US power metal is a bit more gritty and "in your face" than European power metal. Bands like Helstar, Vicious Rumors, Sanctuary (Into the Mirror Black), early Pantera (before Cowboys from Hell), Iced Earth and Mystic Force are what I would see as good examples of US power metal. It can be seen as a slower and more melodic cousin to thrash metal.
European power metal is a bit more "gay" in the old meaning of the word: happier and with a more up feel. While US power metal bands use more minor keys the European power metal use more major keys. Stratovarious and present day Blind Guardian can be seen as a good example of this style.

Speed metal is not used much nowadays, but in the 80ies it usually meant bands that played fast just like thrash bands but with a bit more melody. 80ies Agent Steel is a perfect example of speed metal. I'd also like to see Holy Terror as a speed metal band with a thrashy feel. Sanctuary's first album, Refuge Denied, can be seen as a mix of US power metal and speed metal. The 80ies albums of Helloween and Blind Guardian are good European examples of this style. Even the early Megadeth albums are sometimes labeled as speed metal. Annihilator can also be called speed metal, at least on their first two albums...

This is a band I recommend everyone of you here trying out. I have listened to metal for about 20 years, since my early teens. I have only recently discovered this band: Holy Terror. They were formed by a former Agent Steel guitarist, and their music is one of the most intense I have ever heard. Not extreme, just fast and furious like in the good old 80ies. Put any modern day black or death metal band on the same stage as these guys when they were in their prime around '87-'88, and they would blow the black/death metal bands away.

I am not familiar with symphonic metal, but I regard Symphony X as a progressive metal band with neoclassical influences. Listen to albums like The Divine Wings of Tragedy and V, and the music is just as complex as Dream Theater.

About christian metal, can you really put all the bands with christian lyrics in the same genre? There are a lot of different bands that are christian, from Stryper to more extreme metal. Actually, I have to plug a friend's band - Admonish. They play a style they call "unblack" metal and while I am not a fan of their style, it does sound like most black metal. Just that the lyrics are christian.

I am not religious, but I like some so called christian metal bands. The technical thrash band Tourniquet and the Queensryche "clone" Siam are two good bands. Siam's lyrics can be a bit preachy at times, but Tourniquet's lyrics are subtle and interesting to read even for those of use who are not religious.

Finally a video by my favorite progressive metal band, Power of Omens. Amazingly technical and still melodic music. A singer that sounds like a young Geoff Tate (Queensryche) and a drummer who is so skilled that he makes Dream Theater's former drummer Mike Portnoy look like Lars Ulrich...

Nov 29, 2010 at 12:35 PM Post #2,336 of 29,660
Well...Its seems more or less like people only read what they want to read, so to speak. which makes arguing or posting anything informative more or less impossible, so i think ill just leave this thread to itself before i get tangled into something nasty.

Good bands though. And Danneq is definitely onto something...

Cheers.

Nov 29, 2010 at 1:17 PM Post #2,337 of 29,660
Not to be a total downer (staring at rehabitat now, just kidding dude), what do you girls think about reviewing Head-Fi gear specifically catered to the Heavy Metal enthusiast? 

I have always wanted this kind of resource.  Don't get me wrong, Jude's reviews as well as some other experienced Head-Fi'ers are very helpful in making my future purchasing decisions...

* YES there is no substitute from listening with your own ears
* YES local meets are the best way to talk to other folks
* YES we all have our favorite and least favorite types of metal

BUT...

Haven't any of you jumped for joy when someone posts a review and used <insert some cool metal album not by Metallica> as reference material?

Don't get me wrong, I love jazz, I love classical, but I listen to mainly metal at the end of the day.  Anyone?

I will try to incite a holy war (punishment is due) argument over one pair of headphones:

The HD650s I thought were some of the worse heavy metal headphones known to man.  I found them so laid back, any in your face metal (including Slayer) was just lost.  I enjoyed the HD600 darker sound signature and thought for ambient death and black metal, they really shined given a great source.  But the HD650s were just a horrible metal headphone.

[runs for cover]

Cheers!

Nov 29, 2010 at 1:23 PM Post #2,338 of 29,660
this is a great idea! i've tried so many headphones and sources but right now I like my metal most out of my Grado SR225i, HD25-1 II and bassboosted/amped RE0. I wish I could audition the Audeze LCD-2 though. Seems like the ultimate metal headphone. Hell, they even look metal!

Nov 29, 2010 at 1:45 PM Post #2,339 of 29,660

Quote:
Haven't any of you jumped for joy when someone posts a review and used <insert some cool metal album not by Metallica> as reference material?  
Don't get me wrong, I love jazz, I love classical, but I listen to mainly metal at the end of the day.  Anyone?

Absolutely! The "my search for great thrash metal headphones" thread was a lot of help for me, and I agree with the final conclusion that the Stax Omega 2 makes metal magic. The Edition 10 and LCD-2 should also be great phones for metal. Another good choice might be the JVC DX1000, although opinions seem to vary pretty widely on those. Out of the box the Denons are not great with metal, mids are too recessed and the bass is bloated. Mark Lawton might be able to fix that. I don't think Audio-Technicas are well suited to metal. Things get trickier at the lower end of the scale. I would probably suggest Beyer over Sennheiser, and definitely over AKG.

Nov 29, 2010 at 2:08 PM Post #2,340 of 29,660

Quote:
Well...Its seems more or less like people only read what they want to read, so to speak. which makes arguing or posting anything informative more or less impossible, so i think ill just leave this thread to itself before i get tangled into something nasty.

Good bands though. And Danneq is definitely onto something...

Cheers.

Heh, c'mon dont get too touchy. We all have our own opinions about different bands and genres, sometimes rather strong ones. :) That is the point of this thread, discuss about all metal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back