4. Lesbian - Stratospheria Cubensis
  5. Lantlos - Melting Sun

Prog Stuff
  1. Between The Buried And Me - Parallax II
  2. Ne Obliviscaris - Portal Of I
  3. Cynic - Traced in Air
  4. Devin Townsend Project - Deconstruction
  5. Haken - Restoration

No particular order. Kept it fairly general and left out genres that I don't care about.

Sep 26, 2015 at 2:55 PM Post #20,733 of 29,669
Excellent list, Tom.

Per the Agrimonia post, I really enjoyed Rites of Separation which seemed to make some year end lists when it was released and got my attention. I like crust punk and it has some of that feel. Same with Tau Cross this year which I've had on steady rotation.

Sep 26, 2015 at 3:13 PM Post #20,734 of 29,669
  As promised:

Black
  1. Moonsorrow - Viides Luku: Havitetty
  2. Alcest - Les Voyages De L'Âme
  3. Darkspace - III I
  4. Deafheaven - Sunbather
  5. Draugnim - Horizons Low

Death
  1. Decrepit Birth - Deminishing Between Worlds
  2. Gorguts - Colored Sands
  3. Opeth - Blackwater Park
  4. Nile - Those Whom The Gods Detest
  5. Serdce - The Alchemy Of Harmony

Stoner/Sludge
  1. Elder- Lore
  2. US Christmas - The Valley Path
  3. YOB - The Great Cessation
  5. Lantlos - Melting Sun

Prog Stuff
  3. Cynic - Traced in Air
  5. Haken - Restoration

No particular order. Kept it fairly general and left out genres that I don't care about.

I'm not sure if this was directed at my post or Music Alchemist's request for a top list, but thank you nonetheless! I have a good amount of these albums in my library, and I haven't got around to listening to them yet. :)

Excellent list, Tom.

Per the Agrimonia post, I really enjoyed Rites of Separation which seemed to make some year end lists when it was released and got my attention. I like crust punk and it has some of that feel. Same with Tau Cross this year which I've had on steady rotation.

After I graduated college, I started to become hesitant to listen to albums where the songs were past a certain length -- 8 minutes as a cap -- because my fear was that they could potentially drag on and I would have been better off listening to a shorter album that held my attention. I listened to Agrimonia's Demo a few years ago and thought it was very unique and special, but didn't get around to their debut LP and the sophomore Rites of Separation until last year. The instant Hunted came on, I became hooked and placed this album in my daily rotation. Even though the songs are all long, the album flies by.

There are a handful of bands that I listen to on the daily, because I find them easy to work to and have all the songs memorized (Doom:VS, Daylight Dies), but I am so impressed by this album, as I can always find something new or unusual. Plus the drumming and fills are some of my favorite.  

Sep 26, 2015 at 4:08 PM Post #20,735 of 29,669
ABBATH

New album January 2016

I'm sure I'll like the music, but gosh, they look silly.

I actually like Chimaira,Hatebreed,LoG, Converge and I have one Shadows Fall album, but have not played it in 10 years.

Listen to Zao (especially (Self-Titled) and Liberate Te Ex Inferis) and Living Sacrifice (especially The Hammering Process) if you haven't already!

As promised:

Black
  1. Moonsorrow - Viides Luku: Havitetty
  2. Alcest - Les Voyages De L'Âme
  3. Darkspace - III I
  4. Deafheaven - Sunbather
  5. Draugnim - Horizons Low

Death
  1. Decrepit Birth - Deminishing Between Worlds
  2. Gorguts - Colored Sands
  3. Opeth - Blackwater Park
  4. Nile - Those Whom The Gods Detest
  5. Serdce - The Alchemy Of Harmony

Stoner/Sludge
  1. Elder- Lore
  2. US Christmas - The Valley Path
  3. YOB - The Great Cessation
  5. Lantlos - Melting Sun

Prog Stuff
  3. Cynic - Traced in Air
  5. Haken - Restoration

Frickin' sweet! ...I have not heard a single one of these except for Opeth and Nile.
eek.gif

(But I'll hear 'em sooner or later!)

Sep 26, 2015 at 4:09 PM Post #20,736 of 29,669
  After I graduated college, I started to become hesitant to listen to albums where the songs were past a certain length -- 8 minutes as a cap -- because my fear was that they could potentially drag on and I would have been better off listening to a shorter album that held my attention.

I don't exactly know why, but almost every time I listen to a new album the longest track automatically becomes my favorite.
I'm a huge fan of stupidly long songs. The longer the better. I once took the time to do the math and found out that the average playing time of a song in my music library is about 7 minutes.
Short and packed songs tend to bore me faster than long ones. No, it's not Opposite Day here. Bands have their reasons to write very long songs (too many great ideas that they want to put in one song, building up a certain atmosphere is way easier and effective this way etc) just like they have reasons to keep them short.

Sep 26, 2015 at 4:13 PM Post #20,737 of 29,669
  Frickin' sweet! ...I have not heard a single one of these except for Opeth and Nile.
eek.gif

(But I'll hear 'em sooner or later!)

That is very very surprising to me. Almost shocking.
Stop searching for FF7 cover songs and get back to real music.

Sep 26, 2015 at 4:27 PM Post #20,738 of 29,669
  I don't exactly know why, but almost every time I listen to a new album the longest track automatically becomes my favorite.
I'm a huge fan of stupidly long songs. The longer the better. I once took the time to do the math and found out that the average playing time of a song in my music library is about 7 minutes.
Short and packed songs tend to bore me faster than long ones. No, it's not Opposite Day here. Bands have their reasons to write very long songs (too many great ideas that they want to put in one song, building up a certain atmosphere is way easier and effective this way etc) just like they have reasons to keep them short.

I definitely see where you're coming from, Tom!

When I think about my favorite bands and my favorite songs, they do happen to put out albums that range from 50 minutes to 1 hour 10 minutes on average. It makes sense because my most favorite genres (melodic doom/death, funeral doom and doom) -- as you correctly stated -- rely on song length and atmosphere to set the proper emotional state. But... I used to listen to these exclusively when I was studying in college.

Since graduating, the free time I have at night (not including my 3 hour commute) is sparse and I get really, really antsy if I look at an album I want to listen to and see that it's an hour long. I'll think "can I really actively listen to this?" and get anxious because I would rather focus on an easier to digest album. When I finally motivate myself to study for the MCAT (SOON), I'll begin to blend new long length albums with my 100%-memorized-not-going-to-mentally-distract-me albums.

I find it interesting that short and packed songs bore you though! I may understand -- too much stuff going on makes it seem crowded and without direction? A good example of a band that writes short songs that I find fun and easy listening would be Skeletonwitch. Their riffing and song structures keep me entertained and don't require a few dozen listens to fully recognize the track, whereas a band like Moonsorrow puts out long complex songs that require multiple play throughs.

For poops and giggles, let me post my all time favorite song and band ever. I hate having recommendations stuffed down my throat (unless I explicitly am looking for something), so I don't want to post too many things in a short period of time.

Sep 26, 2015 at 4:35 PM Post #20,739 of 29,669

Many songs I've composed ended up being many times longer than originally planned, because I kept integrating new ideas into them.

That is very very surprising to me. Almost shocking.
Stop searching for FF7 cover songs and get back to real music.

Ha! I'm still stoked (I know you weren't) at the fact that someone made Final Fantasy VII rap albums. (Free downloads here for anyone who wants 'em.)

But you also gotta keep in mind that I listen to nearly all genres of music, so I'm spreading myself a little thin. I put your list in my text file of stuff to check out.

Sep 26, 2015 at 7:53 PM Post #20,741 of 29,669
You have a three hour commute to work?

I just sat here blinking for five minutes trying to wrap my brain around that. Please tell me I misunderstood.

I have to commute almost three hours in total every day.
(10 minute bike ride + 1 hour train ride + 10 bus ride) x 2

Sep 26, 2015 at 8:44 PM Post #20,742 of 29,669
That's not unheard of. Certainly not fun, but not entirely outside the norm. If Mardrommar means a three hour commute each way, it's time to start reevaluating life choices. Now that you mention it though, it's probably three hours total out of his day.

Where in Germany do you live, TYG? I lived in Germany from '02-'04 just outside of Kaiserslautern. I really liked it there and hope to be able to do it again.

Sep 27, 2015 at 12:07 AM Post #20,743 of 29,669
That's not unheard of. Certainly not fun, but not entirely outside the norm. If Mardrommar means a three hour commute each way, it's time to start reevaluating life choices. Now that you mention it though, it's probably three hours total out of his day.

Where in Germany do you live, TYG? I lived in Germany from '02-'04 just outside of Kaiserslautern. I really liked it there and hope to be able to do it again.

My bad. I meant a TOTAL three hour commute. Not three hours each way. I'd die. 

15-20 minute drive to the train station and then about an hour long train ride. 

The train ride should, theoretically, give me time to actively listen to new albums, BUT... I use it to sleep. :D

Sep 27, 2015 at 12:11 AM Post #20,744 of 29,669
I'm sure I'll like the music, but gosh, they look silly.

Abbath has always looked silly? No?
Abbath Live One By One 2015
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xVcKWkQkSVY

Sep 27, 2015 at 12:11 AM Post #20,745 of 29,669
  My bad. I meant a TOTAL three hour commute. Not three hours each way. I'd die. 

15-20 minute drive to the train station and then about an hour long train ride. 

The train ride should, theoretically, give me time to actively listen to new albums, BUT... I use it to sleep. :D

You're making me really curious about what your profession is.
biggrin.gif

(And jealous because I have spent almost no time on trains, but want to...I see a lot of train rides in anime, but that's it. lol)

Oh! Be sure to eventually check out the stuff I listed for you earlier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back