Lets Talk Metal
Aug 10, 2010 at 6:21 AM Post #1,576 of 29,666
Whoa! I wonder if I am old, or whatever. I do not recognize many of these bands. Well, I have been more into progressive rock the last few years. However, I am an old metal, and especially thrash metal, freak.

At 33 years of age, I can still discover "new" stuff. Like this old 80ies thrash metal band - Holy Terror:

Here's one of the most amazing metal groups I've heard. The tech thrash group Watchtower.

For those who prefer a more modern approach to singing, actually semi-death growling, this is a great album. Carcass - Heartwork

I could not care less about the older Carcass stuff, but Heartwork and their final album Swansong are great examples of melodic death metal.

In September I will see two of my old favorites from my teens play in Tokyo.
Agent Steel (with original singer John Cyriis!!!)

...and a reunited Sanctuary! The band that became Nevermore.

Aug 10, 2010 at 8:55 AM Post #1,579 of 29,666

Quote:
For those who prefer a more modern approach to singing, actually semi-death growling, this is a great album. Carcass - Heartwork

I could not care less about the older Carcass stuff, but Heartwork and their final album Swansong are great examples of melodic death metal.

You can see some of the wheels for Arch Enemy starting to turn in Heartwork. I didn't care much for Swansong, however. I would suggest listening to the previous album to Heartwork though, Necroticism, if you haven't heard it already. It's their classic album, and amusingly Arch Enemy actually did a cover of one of the songs from it on the Dead Eyes See No Future single.

Bill Steer was a great vocalist, certainly much better than Johan Liiva ever was, and it's too bad he didn't go on to do much after Carcass.

Aug 10, 2010 at 9:30 AM Post #1,580 of 29,666
so i realized the other day that the only At the Gates cd i had ever heard was Slaughter of the Soul, so over the last week or so ive been listening to the rest of their catalog, and ive got to say that i think that Slaughter of the Soul is the best. and probably the only one ill listen too.

Aug 10, 2010 at 10:05 AM Post #1,581 of 29,666

Quote:
so i realized the other day that the only At the Gates cd i had ever heard was Slaughter of the Soul, so over the last week or so ive been listening to the rest of their catalog, and ive got to say that i think that Slaughter of the Soul is the best. and probably the only one ill listen too.

Yeah, for as much credit as At The Gates gets for helping to create Gothenburg style melodic death metal, much of their output really isn't that good.

Aug 10, 2010 at 10:07 AM Post #1,582 of 29,666

Quote:
Yeah, for as much credit as At The Gates gets for helping to create Gothenburg style melodic death metal, much of their output really isn't that good.

haha thats good to hear that im not alone, i just wasnt impressed by any of the rest of their music, which really surprised me because of how much i like Slaughter of the Soul

Aug 10, 2010 at 2:07 PM Post #1,584 of 29,666
Might watch Insomnium + Dark Tranquillity this November

Aug 10, 2010 at 4:27 PM Post #1,585 of 29,666
MaZa, that's a pretty impressive story!  Sounds like a metal time was had by all.  I've seen Apocalyptica and I agree they are a blast in the live setting.  I'd love to see Slayer and Iron Maiden someday.

I'm contemplating a trip to Montreal in January to see Gamma Ray.  They're only playing five dates in North America in 2011, and not one of them is fewer than 2000 km from where I live!  I hope they bring Freedom Call as support.

Aug 11, 2010 at 3:42 PM Post #1,586 of 29,666

Quote:
MaZa, that's a pretty impressive story!  Sounds like a metal time was had by all.  I've seen Apocalyptica and I agree they are a blast in the live setting.  I'd love to see Slayer and Iron Maiden someday.

I'm contemplating a trip to Montreal in January to see Gamma Ray.  They're only playing five dates in North America in 2011, and not one of them is fewer than 2000 km from where I live!  I hope they bring Freedom Call as support.

Seeing Slayer for the FIRST TIME tomorrow night with Megadeth and friends.

@DaveBSC:

Picked up Black Label Society (BLS) and I must say, really solid album.  I absolutely love Overlord.  Its like blusy metal.  I hear they are playing with Clutch and Children of Bodom.  I am definitely seeing that show when they come around.  That is going to be awesome (Bodom is okay but Clutch live I hear is tight).

Aug 12, 2010 at 9:38 AM Post #1,588 of 29,666

Quote:
Seeing Slayer for the FIRST TIME tomorrow night with Megadeth and friends.

@DaveBSC:

Picked up Black Label Society (BLS) and I must say, really solid album.  I absolutely love Overlord.  Its like blusy metal.  I hear they are playing with Clutch and Children of Bodom.  I am definitely seeing that show when they come around.  That is going to be awesome (Bodom is okay but Clutch live I hear is tight).

Hopefully your Slayer virginity ends better than mine.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back