Lets Talk Metal
Aug 18, 2010 at 11:16 PM Post #1,606 of 29,644
Swallow the Sun and Finnish doom fans in general, check out the most recent album by Dark the Suns - All Ends In Silence. It's quite good stuff. They have a new one coming out soon, looking forward to it.

Aug 19, 2010 at 9:47 AM Post #1,607 of 29,644
Maza: LOL Awesome story man! Glad you weren't hurt and sorry you lost your money on a half busted show
mad.gif

DaveBSC: YES I really like the new Black Label Society also!

I went to the Mayhem festival a couple weeks ago in Atlanta. It was great but HOT HOT!!  Saw about 10 or so different bands!!

Saw DevilDriver, Shadows Fall, Kataklysm, Skeletonwitch, local band Witness the Reckoning last night. Great show! I got the new Kataklysm CD at the show a week b4 US release date
bigsmile_face.gif
...this F'er JAMS! Awesome album!
 Skeletonwitch is pretty badass. They really rock if you get a chance to see them do it!

Aug 19, 2010 at 1:40 PM Post #1,609 of 29,644

Quote:
Swallow the Sun and Finnish doom fans in general, check out the most recent album by Dark the Suns - All Ends In Silence. It's quite good stuff. They have a new one coming out soon, looking forward to it.

Dave...so far you have always steered me right....will definitely check them out....I just bought all the Swallow The Sun CDs (can't wait to see them live next month).

Aug 19, 2010 at 2:03 PM Post #1,610 of 29,644

Quote:
Dave...so far you have always steered me right....will definitely check them out....I just bought all the Swallow The Sun CDs (can't wait to see them live next month).

I'm really enjoying the blend of doom and Finnish melodic elements. Fans of Insomnium will also probably like it. Their first album is a bit bland and very repetitive, so I would avoid that one. They improved by leaps and bounds on All Ends In Silence though, it's a great album from beginning to end. "Everlasting" in particular is superb. Refreshingly there are no clean vocals aside from backing female vocals which are used sparingly and fit the music beautifully in the doom style. Some bands try to fit symphonic metal style female vocals in with doom and it doesn't really work.

Aug 19, 2010 at 6:58 PM Post #1,611 of 29,644

Quote:
I'm really enjoying the blend of doom and Finnish melodic elements. Fans of Insomnium will also probably like it. Their first album is a bit bland and very repetitive, so I would avoid that one. They improved by leaps and bounds on All Ends In Silence though, it's a great album from beginning to end. "Everlasting" in particular is superb. Refreshingly there are no clean vocals aside from backing female vocals which are used sparingly and fit the music beautifully in the doom style. Some bands try to fit symphonic metal style female vocals in with doom and it doesn't really work.

I just picked up all the Insomnium stuff too, waiting for them to arrive in the mail.

Of course not to diverge too off topic - would be nice if my JH-3A/JH-16P would arrive soon but alas it is delayed....

Aug 20, 2010 at 8:32 AM Post #1,612 of 29,644

Quote:
Maza: LOL Awesome story man! Glad you weren't hurt and sorry you lost your money on a half busted show
mad.gif

Still, I am not dissapointed. (except for not seeing a show Iggy Pop truly intended) It was quite an experience afterall. Not something I would like to experience again though! And Iron Maidens gig actually benefitted from the long delay. The gig went on through the midnight, it was really dark and also somewhat thick fog formed. Made lightshows and atmosphere on Fear Of The Dark really kickass!

On Iron Maidens new album, I hate it. I absolutely HATE IT. I have tried listening it back and forth, and it actually manages rise anger in me! It annoys me so bloody much! And this is really rare experience from metal album, I usually get those feelings on bad pop albums. Final Frontier is very badly paced, songs are way too long for the style they play and they just keep dragging on and on forever. And riffs and solos being soulless and bad doesnt help either.

I played this album to my dad too. Now, he is not a metalhead, he was an old leather-jacket Rock&Roll/Rockabilly guy and old drummer on decades ago, (and nowadays he listens more oldies stuff) but when he hears good heavy metal song he understands it even though he wouldnt listen it constantly. He listened this album almost through and his opinions reflected quite a lot to mine. His first comment was that while he is not expert on this music this lacks all feeling, it sounds like this album was made just in the sake of making a new album. And I agree. For kicks I dropped in the Iron Maiden collection with their legendary classics in it and my dads opinion was that the difference is quite large, while this is not his music there is a lot of spirit in it.

Aug 20, 2010 at 1:56 PM Post #1,613 of 29,644
Dimmu Borgir's next album Abradahabra is probaply years most anticipated album, probaply because of the rather... ahem... curious name. Now, there is now one song leaked out (single?) Gateways. Being impatient ADD person I am I had to take a peek.

And I'm stunned! It is actually not half bad! Not half good either but better than anything in In Sorte Diaboli, and I was expecting something absolutely terrible. Dimmu Borgir has added some variance to their basic formulas. There seems to be more weight on tremolo riffing melodies than before (that I remember anyway) which is nice as I love tremolo, keyboards/orchestra varies from rather Tartaros-like demented atmosphere to very Cradle Of Filthish stuff. I think they have picked some inspiration from CoF otherwise too, yet its still 100% Dimmu Borgir in good and bad (like Shagraths vocal effects. Damnit Shagrath, you have perfectly fine black metal scream! Stop playing with effects!)

I am actually waiting for the next album not just because of the stupid name, but because that leaked song actually shows signs of decent quality. Very curious. Still, I'm not expecting a masterpiece nor should I, Dimmu Borgir has lost it long time ago. And this photo alone is enough to drop my expectations a notch or two.
http://metal-archives.com/board/viewtopic.php?p=1644491#1644491

Its Dimmu Borgir allright... LMAO!
biggrin.gif

Aug 20, 2010 at 2:59 PM Post #1,615 of 29,644

Quote:

Hahaha. Well its not as if Dummu are the only ones that can look ridiculous at times.

Yeah, but Immortal does it on purpose. They do not take themselves very seriously.
biggrin.gif

Ah, I think this is the right time to watch Call Of The Wintermoon vid again. Pure gold.

Aug 22, 2010 at 12:48 PM Post #1,620 of 29,644
Just since I am seeing them and if any newcomers get to the end of this thread...if you like Melodic Death....you got to check out Swallow The Sun, they are amazing!  This is IMO one of their best songs to date:

@DaveBSC, I am loving Insomnium.  They are fantastic.  I owe you one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back