Lets Talk Metal
Jul 25, 2014 at 12:59 PM Post #15,481 of 29,664
Not exactly metal-but I've got a couple of hours this afternoon. I'm heading the "Can Mania D.C. Capitol Audio Fest" in Silver Spring MD just out side of D.C. Got my Ipod loaded with metal and non-metal, some reference CD's and I'm hoping to hear some cool new Schiit....wanna hear the He 400i and 563 (I think that's the one) and the newest incarnation of LCD-2 either w/ or w/o fazor and just to drive myself crazy maybe the LCD-X even though I can't fathom dropping $1600 or whatever it is.  Maybe hear some sweet speakers, too.....

Jul 25, 2014 at 1:05 PM Post #15,482 of 29,664
  Not exactly metal-but I've got a couple of hours this afternoon. I'm heading the "Can Mania D.C. Capitol Audio Fest" in Silver Spring MD just out side of D.C. Got my Ipod loaded with metal and non-metal, some reference CD's and I'm hoping to hear some cool new Schiit....wanna hear the He 400i and 563 (I think that's the one) and the newest incarnation of LCD-2 either w/ or w/o fazor and just to drive myself crazy maybe the LCD-X even though I can't fathom dropping $1600 or whatever it is.  Maybe hear some sweet speakers, too.....

$1,699
tongue.gif

Even though the new Fazor technology is supposed to produce objectively superior sound quality, I'm more interested in hearing one of the old LCD-3 models with that lush sound everyone used to rave about.

Speaking of speakers, have you heard of the Smyth Realiser A8? It's a virtual surround sound audio processor that makes headphones sound much more like speakers, and can even be configured with custom presets based on measurements recorded from speaker setups - effectively emulating a limitless array of them. (Wow, the way I worded all that makes it seem like I'm trying to sell it, but I was just describing what it does and how cool I think it is.)

Jul 25, 2014 at 1:11 PM Post #15,483 of 29,664
I'll keep my eyes and ears open.....

Jul 25, 2014 at 2:32 PM Post #15,484 of 29,664
  and just to drive myself crazy maybe the LCD-X even though I can't fathom dropping $1600 or whatever it is.

When I demo'd it, it was personally a resounding 'meh' with metal. Instruments had a fuzzy edge to them and it was a bit mellow for my taste. Definitely get it if you like your metal smoothened out, but I really missed hearing cymbals, snare snaps, and guitar distortion like I do on my HE-6.

To be fair, my reference is an HE-6, so the sound signature of the LCD-X probably wasn't compatible with my ears to begin with.

Jul 25, 2014 at 3:27 PM Post #15,485 of 29,664
  It's like making love to a beautiful woman... who, every now and then, jabs you in the testicles with a pin tack.

Few people might prefer it, you never know... :)

Jul 25, 2014 at 3:32 PM Post #15,486 of 29,664

When I demo'd it, it was personally a resounding 'meh' with metal. Instruments had a fuzzy edge to them and it was a bit mellow for my taste. Definitely get it if you like your metal smoothened out, but I really missed hearing cymbals, snare snaps, and guitar distortion like I do on my HE-6.

To be fair, my reference is an HE-6, so the sound signature of the LCD-X probably wasn't compatible with my ears to begin with.

I see in your sig you have an Amperior for mobile use. Right now, it's on the Sennheiser outlet store for only 150 bucks, so I'm trying to figure out if it's worth it. Have you tried the HD 25-1 II as well? Any comparisons? Thoughts on the Amperior with death metal? 

Jul 25, 2014 at 4:55 PM Post #15,487 of 29,664

I see in your sig you have an Amperior for mobile use. Right now, it's on the Sennheiser outlet store for only 150 bucks, so I'm trying to figure out if it's worth it. Have you tried the HD 25-1 II as well? Any comparisons? Thoughts on the Amperior with death metal? 

I haven't tried the HD-25 1-ii's.

I don't have the amperiors anymore actually, I should change my sig, but from memory,  think the Amperior is very respectable at that price for metal. It's got a mid-bass hump which helps brings out percussion and thump while retaining a forward mid-range that brings out guitar distortion quite well. It's a punchy headphone with a very slightly hot treble. It looks like you don't have any V-shaped headphones in your inventory yet, and by that virtue I think it might be worth a shot.  

Jul 25, 2014 at 6:08 PM Post #15,488 of 29,664

I don't have the amperiors anymore actually, I should change my sig, but from memory,  think the Amperior is very respectable at that price for metal. It's got a mid-bass hump which helps brings out percussion and thump while retaining a forward mid-range that brings out guitar distortion quite well. It's a punchy headphone with a very slightly hot treble. It looks like you don't have any V-shaped headphones in your inventory yet, and by that virtue I think it might be worth a shot.  

Thanks for the input. I really like my K550 with metal, but I'm looking for something a little more aggressive in a closed-back. This may do perfectly...

Jul 25, 2014 at 7:19 PM Post #15,490 of 29,664
  Fallujah is overrated. Just listened to the new album and due to the washed out nature of the sound, I couldn't enjoy the music.

It's not nearly as cool as I expected it to be. Even without the whole DR3 thing.
Well, more time to rock out to the new Ceremonial Castings and Opeth.

Jul 25, 2014 at 8:05 PM Post #15,491 of 29,664
From whatever I heard, both Opeth and Fallujah have been disappointing. Waiting for Beyond Creation now..

Jul 25, 2014 at 8:53 PM Post #15,492 of 29,664

Thanks for the input. I really like my K550 with metal, but I'm looking for something a little more aggressive in a closed-back. This may do perfectly...

I had the Amperiors and sold them... and then bought them again. They are pretty punchy and aggressive and I dig them with death metal. Also, they are really durable. My only complaints would be comfort and the cable. The cable issue can be solved by buying a new cable, but the comfort issue is a bit trickier. Toughen dem ears up I guess :p

Jul 25, 2014 at 10:01 PM Post #15,494 of 29,664
From whatever I heard, both Opeth and Fallujah have been disappointing. Waiting for Beyond Creation now..

Opeth, I think you maybe right. The first go around yielded very little.

Fallujah is awesome except the production makes it a chore to listen to.

BC should be OUTSTANDING. High hopes!

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back