Lets Talk Metal
Jul 24, 2014 at 5:29 PM Post #15,451 of 29,664

i don't know what a 'Djent fan' really is (is that like mallcore?) but none of my metalhead friends had even heard of periphery, and at least around here there's very little publicity or anything surrounding those kids.  on the flipside, i don't know a single metal head personally that hasn't heard of august burns red (since we were just talking about them a few pages ago)

A person who loves Djent maybe?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Djent
Periphery is mentioned in the article as one of the founding fathers of this sub-genre.

Jul 24, 2014 at 5:47 PM Post #15,453 of 29,664

i don't know what a 'Djent fan' really is (is that like mallcore?) but none of my metalhead friends had even heard of periphery, and at least around here there's very little publicity or anything surrounding those kids.  on the flipside, i don't know a single metal head personally that hasn't heard of august burns red (since we were just talking about them a few pages ago)

Liar Liar Pants on Fire!!! You know 'Djent'. Yes you do. Yes you do..

Jul 24, 2014 at 5:56 PM Post #15,454 of 29,664
I'm not typically a fan of normal "djent", but I'm starting to like bands that make use of djenty rhythms and blend it with lighter music, like Plini, Sithu Aye and David Maxim Micic. Tessersct's acoustic EP is also really cool, but their metal albums are too much for me.

Jul 24, 2014 at 6:05 PM Post #15,455 of 29,664
I think some of this sub stratum slicing and dicing of genres by the metal puzzle palace is kind of stupid. Djent. Huh? Oh, ok bands that are influenced by Meshuggah. I don't get it. How about the bands influenced by Opeth? How about proggy metalcorish bands similar to Between the Buried and Me? Or, Voivid? Then, you've got good old Dream Theater. Symphonic proggy black metal. Or Gojira....wait, maybe Gojira actually are djent....I can't keep track. Or WhoeverTF?

How about progressive metal. That covers a wide swath. That works for me.

Jul 24, 2014 at 6:35 PM Post #15,456 of 29,664
Tesseract's most recent was good, I agree. Definitely a great full album listen. In regards to Periphery, I wouldn't say they are underrated. I could understand that from a mainstream point of view, but unless you're Avenged Sevenfold or something, metal is never popular in the mainstream. It's ok though, because Baby Metal is opening for Lady Gaga. So there's a chance. Lol.

Jul 24, 2014 at 6:40 PM Post #15,457 of 29,664
Jul 24, 2014 at 6:42 PM Post #15,458 of 29,664
It's ok though, because Baby Metal is opening for Lady Gaga. So there's a chance. Lol.

You know what?
I'm not even mad about that. Why would I? It's actually kind of funny to me.

Jul 24, 2014 at 8:28 PM Post #15,460 of 29,664
  Underrated?!
I don't think there is a single Djent fan out there who doesn't know Periphery.

Yeah, I had never heard of Periphery either, even though I had skimmed the djent Wikipedia link in the past.

I had never heard of August Burns Red until they were shared in the aforementioned location - and no wonder. I mentioned that they are a mainstream-sounding metalcore band - which I don't like as much when it comes to metalcore. I prefer more extreme metalcore like Zao and Converge.

A person who loves Djent maybe?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Djent
Periphery is mentioned in the article as one of the founding fathers of this sub-genre.

Meshuggah coined the term, anyway, and that's all that matters to me.

Jul 24, 2014 at 11:20 PM Post #15,461 of 29,664
http://www.christmachine.com/category/joe-sidore/

This is a fascinating read about a guy who listened to over a hundred different versions of the Led Zeppelin albums and lists his favorites. Anyone who has the original 1990s box set knows it was not that great. The Japan mini record box set was even worse. He explains why and tells you about going to used CDs stores to find the original 1980s CDs, which are cheap. He also finds that the original US pressing are best for a lot of vinyl releases. Who knew? 

Jul 24, 2014 at 11:50 PM Post #15,462 of 29,664
  http://www.christmachine.com/category/joe-sidore/

This is a fascinating read about a guy who listened to over a hundred different versions of the Led Zeppelin albums and lists his favorites. Anyone who has the original 1990s box set knows it was not that great. The Japan mini record box set was even worse. He explains why and tells you about going to used CDs stores to find the original 1980s CDs, which are cheap. He also finds that the original US pressing are best for a lot of vinyl releases. Who knew? 

If only they decided to release the studio masters...but for older recordings like these, they aren't in a digital file format, which complicates matters.

Jul 25, 2014 at 12:18 AM Post #15,463 of 29,664
  I think some of this sub stratum slicing and dicing of genres by the metal puzzle palace is kind of stupid. Djent. Huh? Oh, ok bands that are influenced by Meshuggah. I don't get it. How about the bands influenced by Opeth? How about proggy metalcorish bands similar to Between the Buried and Me? Or, Voivid? Then, you've got good old Dream Theater. Symphonic proggy black metal. Or Gojira....wait, maybe Gojira actually are djent....I can't keep track. Or WhoeverTF?

How about progressive metal. That covers a wide swath. That works for me.

I would usually agree, but djent is a very distinctive sound. I've never really considered it to be a genre as much as a quality to the music, which usually falls under prog metal. A few months ago for me, hearing someone describe a band as "djent" was just a convenient way to immediately know it was a band I wouldn't like.

Jul 25, 2014 at 12:22 AM Post #15,464 of 29,664
  I would usually agree, but djent is a very distinctive sound. I've never really considered it to be a genre as much as a quality to the music, which usually falls under prog metal. A few months ago for me, hearing someone describe a band as "djent" was just a convenient way to immediately know it was a band I wouldn't like.

I remember Metal Archives used to list Meshuggah's genre as something like progressive post-thrash, lol

Jul 25, 2014 at 12:33 AM Post #15,465 of 29,664
If only they decided to release the studio masters...but for older recordings like these, they aren't in a digital file format, which complicates matters.

I heard Zeppelin number four of this set and it was amazing. Interesting to see what treatment we will see when HD tracks starts selling the next run of remasters. To tell you the truth I'm happy with having the original CD, the 90s remaster the vinyl and the 24/96 rip of the 45rpm. I really don't need anything new?

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Iwl1XbEAOQo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back