Lets Talk Metal
Jul 25, 2014 at 10:05 PM Post #15,496 of 29,663

Too many old albums to enjoy anyway. I will only waste my time on a new album if a quick scan makes me feel it to be worthy

Its just that I had high hopes for the following releases this year:

Opeth
Fallujah
Beyond Creation
Tool(maybe)

and so far Opeth and Fallujah, do not meet my high expectations. So, I will continue to hope...

Jul 25, 2014 at 10:08 PM Post #15,497 of 29,663
Its just that I had high hopes for the following releases this year:

Opeth
Fallujah
Beyond Creation
Tool(maybe)

and so far Opeth and Fallujah, do not meet my high expectations. So, I will continue to hope...

Let's not forget about Nachtmystium's swan song (who knows?) as well as Panopticon's latest.

Jul 25, 2014 at 11:07 PM Post #15,498 of 29,663
Let's not forget about Nachtmystium's swan song (who knows?) as well as Panopticon's latest.

I enjoyed Nachtmystium's Instinct: Decay far more than their other albums.

As for this year, I am looking forward to Hymns For The Broken by Evergrey. Although In Flames is my favorite band, what I have heard from their upcoming Siren Charms was mediocre at best.

Jul 26, 2014 at 12:05 AM Post #15,499 of 29,663

When I demo'd it, it was personally a resounding 'meh' with metal. Instruments had a fuzzy edge to them and it was a bit mellow for my taste. Definitely get it if you like your metal smoothened out, but I really missed hearing cymbals, snare snaps, and guitar distortion like I do on my HE-6.

To be fair, my reference is an HE-6, so the sound signature of the LCD-X probably wasn't compatible with my ears to begin with.

Tough call, just not enough time and too many cans, amps, DACS to come away with definitive impressions. Listening on to a laptop with someone else's music-not metal-not ideal.

One big take away is the affect of top end amplification and DAC. I've got an A-2 and LD1+ w/ my Grado RS1i which do the trick, but when I listened to some $11 or 1200 WOO piece of kit on my RS1i with a 3K Meridian DAC, I was literally stunned at the difference....and for the money, duh! But, it really bowled meover. 

At this point, I did like the LCD-2 overall (don't see spending over 1k when and if I do make a move) and I want something to contrast my RS1. I left feeling the amp aspect for Audeze would be more involving and pricey to get to really sound optimal. I thought the 400i was pretty lively and would probably sound great for metal, but I might be inclined to go with the 560 which is more refined...not necessarily better for metal....but more of a contrast to what I've got.

For the money, I thought the Mr Speakers Alpha Dog sounded good across genres (again, didn't hear any metal) for almost half the price of the LCD-2, but not as lush/warm perhaps. But, a good value. I'd probably go for the LCD-2 or He 560. If I didn't have my RS1i which I do thinks pairs well w/ rock/metal, I might be inclined for the 400i given the money....and I still might be convinced.

Jul 26, 2014 at 12:28 AM Post #15,500 of 29,663

Austin is a man of perpetual quality.

Tough call, just not enough time and too many cans, amps, DACS to come away with definitive impressions. Listening on to a laptop with someone else's music-not metal-not ideal.

One big take away is the affect of top end amplification and DAC. I've got an A-2 and LD1+ w/ my Grado RS1i which do the trick, but when I listened to some $11 or 1200 WOO piece of kit on my RS1i with a 3K Meridian DAC, I was literally stunned at the difference....and for the money, duh! But, it really bowled meover. 

At this point, I did like the LCD-2 overall (don't see spending over 1k when and if I do make a move) and I want something to contrast my RS1. I left feeling the amp aspect for Audeze would be more involving and pricey to get to really sound optimal. I thought the 400i was pretty lively and would probably sound great for metal, but I might be inclined to go with the 560 which is more refined...not necessarily better for metal....but more of a contrast to what I've got.

For the money, I thought the Mr Speakers Alpha Dog sounded good across genres (again, didn't hear any metal) for almost half the price of the LCD-2, but not as lush/warm perhaps. But, a good value. I'd probably go for the LCD-2 or He 560. If I didn't have my RS1i which I do thinks pairs well w/ rock/metal, I might be inclined for the 400i given the money....and I still might be convinced.

Hehe, looks like you have some decisions to make! Also remember that the AD comes with a 15-day return policy, and the LCD-2 and Hifimans probably retain their value fairly well, so you're fairly safe!

Jul 26, 2014 at 12:41 AM Post #15,501 of 29,663

So you heard the WDS-1? That's the first desktop DAC I plan on getting.

(Edit: I only skimmed your post and just noticed you meant a Woo Audio amp, not a DAC.)

Someone I know posted another comparison of the HE-560 and HE-400i:

The 560 and 400is are comming to Headphone.Guru for review. Awesome cans that I heard today.

400i's were smooth but the 560's were much more dynamic. Especially in that the 560's had a great spatial presense and a wide soundstage and a much better frequency seperation than the 400i. 

However, the 560's have a slight spike in the upper mids that aren't harsh, but are a bit of an annoyance at times. It's just not perfected and is slightly off. It's a bit too sharp at times and takes away from the song when your attention is constantly pulled into the 'crack' sound from the cymbals. Despite that, the 560's are awesome.

Jul 26, 2014 at 6:18 AM Post #15,502 of 29,663
Huh.
Zack Ohren, the guy who mastered the new Fallujah album, offered me an un-loud version of the entire new Fallujah album, given that the band allows it.

Jul 26, 2014 at 6:29 AM Post #15,504 of 29,663

Sweet! What format will you receive it in?

No clue. I don't even know if his offer is still a thing since it is almost two weeks old....Facebook decided to not notify me.

Jul 26, 2014 at 7:30 AM Post #15,506 of 29,663

So you heard the WDS-1? That's the first desktop DAC I plan on getting.

(Edit: I only skimmed your post and just noticed you meant a Woo Audio amp, not a DAC.)

Someone I know posted another comparison of the HE-560 and HE-400i:

Sounds about right-the review-I listened to a Woo amp and I  believe Meidian DAC at a combined price point of over 4K! So, it should make a difference, right?!

I left feeling like the 400i which they said is closer to the old 500 is more "fun" and lively and probably really good for metal, but for other stuff-I like jazz and some electronic, yada, yada, maybe even classical the 560 is probably a "better" can.

Jul 26, 2014 at 9:17 AM Post #15,507 of 29,663
A question for the people following constantly this thread (and with good memory). Some months ago, I think around beginning of the year, somebody published a music video of a (black?) metal band, in which the members were dressing up as players from various famous metal bands. I clearly remember the video started with an Immortal-like rendition, then moved into some Thrash, covered Grunge, a bit of Poison and it included the best Crab walk that I can remember in any metalcore video
biggrin.gif

Anybody can help me with the band/song title ?

Jul 26, 2014 at 9:22 AM Post #15,508 of 29,663
  A question for the people following constantly this thread (and with good memory). Some months ago, I think around beginning of the year, somebody published a music video of a (black?) metal band, in which the members were dressing up as players from various famous metal bands. I clearly remember the video started with an Immortal-like rendition, then moved into some Thrash, covered Grunge, a bit of Poison and it included the best Crab walk that I can remember in any metalcore video
biggrin.gif

Anybody can help me with the band/song title ?

Your welcome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back