Let's talk about pens...
May 22, 2019 at 2:57 AM Post #106 of 163
Those look neat, the Promecha model as well. How do they do with writing at acute angles?
Only been using it at my desk, so havent put it to much of a test in angles. I pull out the space pen when I know I need to write in a weird angle or in wet condition.
No pressurized cartridge in the OHTO, but it kept writing for longer than I would have expected as long as i didnt go all the way upside down when I gave it a quick test now.

May 23, 2019 at 7:27 PM Post #107 of 163
May 27, 2019 at 3:00 AM Post #108 of 163
Okay, clearly I need to investigate this Space Pen business. The last time I heard of one was years ago and I thought it was a total gimmick—someone actually gave me one it was too small for my hands so I just didn’t understand the fuss. Now I’m wanting to get one again to try it out! Oy....

May 27, 2019 at 3:44 AM Post #109 of 163
Okay, clearly I need to investigate this Space Pen business. The last time I heard of one was years ago and I thought it was a total gimmick—someone actually gave me one it was too small for my hands so I just didn’t understand the fuss. Now I’m wanting to get one again to try it out! Oy....

It is a gimmick, but of the good, rather useful sort- so long as your ever need to write on vertical surfaces, at low temperatures, or in a torrential up/downpour at zero g.

tenor.gif

Last edited:
May 27, 2019 at 9:21 AM Post #110 of 163
It is a gimmick, but of the good, rather useful sort- so long as your ever need to write on vertical surfaces, at low temperatures, or in a torrential up/downpour at zero g.

tenor.gif

Correct.

Even on partially angled surfaces, like a clipboard. Most regular pens will start crapping out after a moment of writing at an angle. Same with cold temperatures. I used a regular ball point pen a few times this past winter, and when I pulled it out of my pocket to sign some paperwork, it was totally useless because it was too cold. So I had to borrow someone’s chewed up, nasty azz Bic pen to complete my paperwork instead. Talk about annoying.

I don’t do any of the underwater, in grease, or on the moon gimmicky business. But I do often write at non-horizontal angles and in the cold, and the Fisher pen is the only one I’ve found that’s reliable for that.

Also, the Fisher pens don’t care what direction you store them in. Up or down. But with regular pens, I’ve had them get screwed up (temporary or permanently) because I stored them point up in my pocket, car, or in a pen holder. But I like doing that to prevent leaking or ink boogers.

Bottom line is that the best part of the space pen is the pressurized ink cartridge. And you can use the Fisher cartridges in a lot of other pens.

Last edited:
May 27, 2019 at 11:51 AM Post #111 of 163
I don’t do any of the underwater, in grease, or on the moon gimmicky business. But I do often write at non-horizontal angles and in the cold, and the Fisher pen is the only one I’ve found that’s reliable for that.

I do occasionally use in those difficult conditions (just waiting for space tourism to get affordable...), it's the sort of thing if you're only going to have only one "good" pen it's pretty much the most practical option. Though I would add is that other good quality ballpoint cartridges can get like 70% of that utility, and sometimes write a little nicer depending on preference (i.e. for the longest time I even mistakenly thought my preferred Goliath cartridges were pressurized).

Last edited:
May 27, 2019 at 12:30 PM Post #112 of 163
I do occasionally use in those difficult conditions (just waiting for space tourism to get affordable...), it's the sort of thing if you're only going to have only one "good" pen it's pretty much the most practical option. Though I would add is that other good quality ballpoint cartridges can get like 70% of that utility, and sometimes write a little nicer depending on preference (i.e. for the longest time I even mistakenly thought my preferred Goliath cartridges were pressurized).

Definitely agree. There’s lots of good quality cartridges out there that have their strengths too.

I love Schmidt Easyflow 9000 cartridges. They do get annoying boogers on the tip sometimes. But other than that they write smooth and silky.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2019 at 7:25 PM Post #114 of 163
I went and got the ohto horizon pen in orange and must say I love this pen. So easy to hold and writes so smoothly. Plus the love the mechanical clicker. I sit and use it as a fidget device lol.

I dropped some hints about this a while ago, so hopefully I get one for Father’s Day.

And speaking of pen fidgeting, besides clicking the living daylights out of it, I hope it’s balanced enough to spin with :)

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2019 at 8:01 PM Post #115 of 163
I dropped some hints about this a while ago, so hopefully I get one for Father’s Day.

And speaking of pen fidgeting, besides clicking the living daylights out of it, I hope it’s balanced enough to spin with :)
If I had it with me I would see. Yet i left it in my toolbox at work. About the only place i write. The forms we have the blocks are small so the long narrow tip allows me to see the block. Just have to relearn how to write with it lol. As i still write like i have my disposable clickers. It felt light and balanced. It does fit comfortably in the hand. I think you would like it.

Jul 2, 2019 at 9:54 AM Post #116 of 163

tenor.gif

Well, after eyeing one again in Staples I’ve decided to stick with my good old Zebra F Series! LOL

Jul 2, 2019 at 10:45 AM Post #117 of 163
I’m loving my yellow ohto horizon! Cool looking, feels great in the hand, and writes nice and crisp.

I also figured out another trick with my Fisher pen. I always thought the fact that it could write on wet surfaces was a gimmick. Well, I found out it’s great for jotting notes on my arm when I’m sweaty. Regular ball point pens won’t do this, but the Fisher does.

Jul 2, 2019 at 1:50 PM Post #118 of 163
Fountain Pen > every other pen. End of story.

Jul 2, 2019 at 5:54 PM Post #119 of 163
While packing up for a move, I found the Fisher Space Pen I lost two years ago under my entertainment center. It worked just like new! Wrote beautifully with no skips or warm-up. Crazy.

I still prefer pens with Schmidt Easyflow 9000 for quality of writing, but man, that Space Pen is damn reliable.

Jul 2, 2019 at 6:15 PM Post #120 of 163
I love pens! I have a couple Cross pens. But I've been a Dr Grip fan since I was in HS 20 years ago. I'm especially a fan of some of the Japanese market exclusive pens and colorways. Nothing too special as you can walk into a drug store and buy the basic Dr Grips, but they also make some really cool looking ones that are hard to find.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back