Let's talk about pens...
Sep 29, 2017 at 5:52 PM Post #17 of 163
I guess I am too innocent. I did not know there were pens specifically designed to be used as weapons. I have been informed now that they are illegal in the UK. I think nearly everything is illegal here as a weapon. Apparently if you are using a flashlght to check something in the dark and someone attacks you, you become the criminal if you hit them with that flashlight. So I guess that means you have to allow yourself to be assaulted or murdered.

Anyway, my Fisher pen arrived yesterday. I have not had a chance to really write anything with it but it seems very nice. I am annoyed with Amazon though. They have obviously sent me a return as new (not the first time I have suspected this). On the closed end of the cardboard sleeve you can see where someone tried to open there. On the open end, where the case is meant to just slide out, someone put regular household scotch tape over it when they returned it. I even watched an unboxing video to be sure that there is not meant to be any tape like that. I don't know whether or not to exchange it. My main worry is there is no way to check how much ink is left. What if someone used most of it and then got a new one and returned this in its place? I hate how people misuse return policies. Here in Headfi I sometimes see people order 3 or 4 headphones knowing they will choose one and return the others. Maybe someone did this with my pen.

In the second photo you can see a little dot of ink inside the case. Not sure how that would have happened.

The space pen you got is most certainly not a weapon. It is not intended as a weapon, impossible to be used as a weapon, and not advertised as a weapon or for any self defense purpose. It is just a pen, plain and simple. All it does is write, and write well it does.

If you were to try and hit someone with the back of the pen, it would just collapse back down into it's closed state (3" long). In addition, the front of the pen (the part you write with) would retract down INSIDE of the pen, making it unable to write with much less injure someone with.

The "tactical" pens we were talking about a few posts up are completely different. They ARE advertised as a self-defense weapon, are longer and solid (not collapsing), usually have finger grooves cut into them to make it easier to hold in a self-defense situation, and have a sharp point at the NON-WRITING side of the pen (ie the rear of the pen) that you can use to break glass or attack someone with.

If you look at the Space Pen, it is rounded in the back. You could't hurt anyone with it - it's 3" long and rounded on the back side.

Here's a photo of a tactical "self-defense/weapon" pen - NOT the same thing. See the sharp point?

tactical pem.jpg

Here's another one - see the sharp point and the finger grooves?

https://www.amazon.com/Smith-Wesson-Military-SWPENMP2BR-Generation/dp/B007DCEQY4

My advice would be to stop by your local police station and show them the Space Pen you purchased and ask if it's legal or not.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2017 at 5:55 PM Post #19 of 163
The space pen you got is most certainly not a weapon.

It is just a pen, plain and simple.

The "tactical" pens we were talking about a few posts up are completely different. They have a sharp point at the NON-WRITING side of the pen (ie the rear of the pen) that you can use to break glass or attack someone with. If you look at the Space Pen, it is rounded in the back. You could't hurt anyone with it - it's 3" long and rounded on the back side.

Here's a photo of a tactical "self-defense/weapon" pen - NOT the same thing. See the sharp point?

I know mine is not. I just meant I had never heard of tactical pens until you guys started talking about it.

As far as legality goes, I was just commenting on how weird it is that a person could get in trouble here for defending himself.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2017 at 8:46 PM Post #20 of 163
I know mine is not. I just meant I had never heard of tactical pens until you guys started talking about it.

As far as legality goes, I was just commenting on how weird it is that a person could get in trouble here for defending himself.

Ah, I gotcha. I read it as you just found out today that your new Space Pen that just arrived isn't legal to use (as a pen) in UK. haha, sorry

So I saw where you said it was used. I wouldn't sweat it. The ink cartridges last a long time. There's no way to see how much ink is left because they are sealed and the ink cartridge is under pressure. That's how it can write on any surface at any angle.

If you are still concerned, I'm sure Amazon will work with you and do something to make it right. If it was me I would ask them to send you a refill for free (or provide a refund for the cost of a refill). You can get the Space pen refills individually or in multi-packs for much better pricing (such as 3, 5, or 10). They come in black, blue, and red, and note that there's different thicknesses (fine point, medium, thick, etc). It's really personal preference - I use medium for everything.

Here's a few Amazon links for the correct refills:
So other than feeling like you got an open box pen, how do you like the Telescoping Pen otherwise?

Sep 29, 2017 at 8:51 PM Post #21 of 163
Now I need to buy it to find a way to hurt someone with it

haha, yes I guess technically anything could be a weapon. A rolled up magazine or newspaper, a bottle of drinking water, a handful of sand, a deck of playing cards, a pair of chopsticks, a piping hot cup of coffee, etc

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2017 at 5:47 PM Post #24 of 163
Jinhao X750. It has a nice heft to it, and should more than work for my needs. I should order a couple others to test what I like, perhaps a Lamy.

On a semi-related note, my auglamour phone holder displays the pen reasonably well. Hooray for really random earbud accessories

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2017 at 4:14 PM Post #25 of 163
@Slater Well, it might be a strange reason to order the TLP you recommended, but as Amazon was giving a free bag of popcorn away for a $25 purchase from Amazon, apparently the free snack was all the incentive I needed. Also, really liking the Jinhao so far. It's so much better than the junk I had at work. Can't wait for the next two pens to arrive.

Gearbest has Xiaomi Mijia pen in white for sale for 1 USD after using coupon SDSEP05PEN

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2017 at 8:44 PM Post #26 of 163
@Slater Well, it might be a strange reason to order the TLP you recommended, but as Amazon was giving a free bag of popcorn away for a $25 purchase from Amazon, apparently the free snack was all the incentive I needed. Also, really liking the Jinhao so far. It's so much better than the junk I had at work. Can't wait for the next two pens to arrive.

Gearbest has Xiaomi Mijia pen in white for sale for 1 USD after using coupon SDSEP05PEN

Glad to hear it!

Life is too short to write with a junk pen.

I’m not going to spend thousands on a pan (that’s just B-A-N-A-N-A-S), but that doesn’t mean I have to be happy using a crappy disposable giveaway pen from some drug rep or a $0.35 Bic pen.

As you pointed out, a nice $5 JinHao makes a great item to fill a cart to get free amazon shipping. I’ve mentioned before, but they make great cheap gifts to friends and work mates.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2017 at 7:20 PM Post #27 of 163
Agreed. John Wick killed 3 men with a pencil lol

Tactical pens are related to the Kubaton, which a lot of people carry for self defense. With the proper training (the key here), it can an extremely effective self-defense weapon (used for pressure point moves and locks).

Tactical usually have a hardened steel tip that can be used for emergency window breaking.

However, Kubatons aren't legal to carry in all cities and countries, so you would want to check your local laws. I imagine the tactical pens are likely covered by the same regulations as Kubatons.
Idk man. A tactical pen is "just" a pen. Just need to articulate yourself correctly....

Oct 3, 2017 at 7:21 PM Post #28 of 163

Awesome, I'm gonna try to order. :call_me:

Oct 3, 2017 at 7:25 PM Post #30 of 163
The TLP should arrive tomorrow, I suspect I'll be pleased. The other pen, most likely mid Nov. or later.
Yeah, but I like Gearbest, even though it's a wait. :call_me:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back