Let's round up all the Blue Hawaii SE people...
Aug 8, 2008 at 6:12 PM Post #106 of 122
ok, a switch for normal/pro/koss/senn bias, and stax jacks
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 8, 2008 at 6:19 PM Post #107 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ok, a switch for normal/pro/koss/senn bias, and stax jacks
smily_headphones1.gif

It can certainly be done for the 500v+ range but adding normal bias to the mix isn't wise due to safety reasons. A noob flips the wrong switch and drives the normal bias phones into oblivion...
frown.gif

Aug 9, 2008 at 7:53 AM Post #108 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I recently had the opportunity to listen to the BHSE, both at the dc meet, and again in the privacy of my hotel room for a few hours with my own source (was using an modded APL Phillips SACD 1000) and both O2 MK1s and MK2s. This is seriously the best I've heard the O2s, at least to my preferences, and learned I preferred the MK1s in sq, but still really liked the MK2s, and preferred them for comfort. I could be happy with either. I've ordered the BHSE in all black, but still haven't 100% decided on a pro/normal or pro/pro option. I'm hoping mine will be ready by mid-Fall.

I'm still torn as to which version I want. I first fell in love with the MkI, but the upgraded comfort of the MkII has me considering it. Perhaps the only solution is to own both?

Anyway, I'm glad you found a "keeper." Hope I have as well!
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 9, 2008 at 9:39 AM Post #109 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by aaron313 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm still torn as to which version I want. I first fell in love with the MkI, but the upgraded comfort of the MkII has me considering it. Perhaps the only solution is to own both?

The third and best option would be to buy a beat up Mk1 and replace the earpads and arc assembly with Mk2 parts since the design is the same. I for one do not like the stiffer elastic band used on the Mk2 and the new earpads muck up the sound you may like it.

Aug 9, 2008 at 2:14 PM Post #110 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It can certainly be done for the 500v+ range but adding normal bias to the mix isn't wise due to safety reasons. A noob flips the wrong switch and drives the normal bias phones into oblivion...
frown.gif

uh...I don't think Dan was serious; in fact, I know he wasn't, but if he still wants to give me his 950s, I'll seriously take them
wink.gif

Aug 9, 2008 at 3:33 PM Post #112 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
uh...I don't think Dan was serious; in fact, I know he wasn't, but if he still wants to give me his 950s, I'll seriously take them
wink.gif

I know he wasn't serious but this has come up a few times in PM's and it needed to be put straight.

Oct 21, 2008 at 10:34 PM Post #115 of 122
Hi,

I am new here, so I am not completely up on the politics regarding the BHSE. I am, however, interested in that amp or any other amp that would work with my Omega IIs.

While I like the detail, speed and lack of resonant overhang of notes, I am looking for something that will reduce the somewhat dry and analytical quality of the phones. The BHSE sounds like a good candidate from what those who have heard it have to report.

I have experience with custom-designed products that take time to make, so I am willing to wait. However, I have not been able to get much information from emailing Justin, so I thought some of you might be able to respond and answer a few questions:

1. Is there a way to audition the amp prior to purchase? The HeadAmp website talks about a trial period, but, I don't know if it applies to a special order item.

2. What is the procedure for getting on the wait list (Is there even a wait list for the second run of the product)?

3. What kind of options has Justin offered for the amp (kind of attenuator, coupling caps, etc.)?

4. What alternatives did you consider/hear and what made you decide to stick it out for the long wait for the BHSE?

5. What is the latest word on when delivery will start on the first run and what is the timing for the second run?

Thanks for helping me with this matter.

Mar 7, 2009 at 7:46 AM Post #119 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The third and best option would be to buy a beat up Mk1 and replace the earpads and arc assembly with Mk2 parts since the design is the same. I for one do not like the stiffer elastic band used on the Mk2 and the new earpads muck up the sound you may like it.

Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't the Mk1 and Mk2 basically the same except for the earpads and the sealing of the baffle. So if you replace the earpads of a Mk1 with a Mk2 you will have a sealed Mk 2.

Mar 7, 2009 at 8:27 AM Post #120 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by edstrelow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't the Mk1 and Mk2 basically the same except for the earpads and the sealing of the baffle. So if you replace the earpads of a Mk1 with a Mk2 you will have a sealed Mk 2.

The drivers are different as no physical change to the housing would account for the slightly more forward nature of the sound. It's probably just a mild change to the tension of the diaphragm or something else inside the driver which can't be seen from the outside. The spring inside the earpads is also very different (and as we know now, it's position on the earpads) and it's the cable assembly which seals the baffle, not the earpads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back