Let's give it up for the PX-100s.
Sep 20, 2010 at 11:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

ilikebands

New Head-Fier
I've tried a few different sets of audiophile cans (notably the Grado SR125 and Sennheiser HD650), and in my opinion, none can match the sound balance of the PX-100s.  As is commonly argued by Grado detractors, the SR125s to me sound overly bright and harsh in the upper ranges with not enough bass or lower mid-range response.  In direct contrast, the HD650 phones are very deficient in the treble and highs but with prodigous low end, so much to the extent that the bass becomes boomy and undefined.  Neither headphone sounds very neutral to me, with both displaying weaknesses in one area of the sound spectrum or another.  I don't want to feel like I'm missing anything when I listen to my music, and I feel like with these two sets of phones, I'm really missing out on one aspect of the presentation or another. 

However, I really feel like Sennheiser nailed it with the PX-100s.  The resolving power on these phones obviously can't compare to the HD650 or even SR125, but the frequency response sounds just right to my ears.  The bass is present and tight, the highs are there with ample air given to the soundstage.  It's such a comfortable headphone to listen to.  I know some people commend the HD650s on how comfortable they sound, but music that has been dulled and blanketed to exaggerate the lower ranges sounds pretty listless to me.  On the other hand, a phone like the Grado tries to impart too much energy and vitality into music.  Sometimes music actually hurts to listen to with the Grado phones.

I just love the lush, comforting presence of the px-100s.  I get pretty emotional listening to the sounds they can create in some songs.  I've heard that the HD600 might be more to my liking but I'm hesitant to purchase them.  I'm worried they will be too similar to the HD650 to justify a purchase. 

Sep 20, 2010 at 1:23 PM Post #3 of 15
I'll post here and then try and follow this thread if it gets shifted.

I have a soft spot in my heart for the PX-100's, because that was my 1st "audiophile" can.

And to this day, I like them more than the PX-100 II's, and the HD238's.

But I have also been up the Grado ladder starting with the SR80i, and now I'm auditioning the SR325is and Alessando MS2i.

The PX-100 is great for what it is: a cost effective :), portable headphone.  But IMO, the one problem it has is too much bass.  To me, there isn't a whole lot of difference between the SR80i up through the SR325is except that the line does get brighter once they switch from the comfies to the bowls.  But right now, I'm using comfies with the 225, and I don't have any problem with the harshness that people typically talk about regarding Grado.  I think the 225 with comfies is darn near a perfect presentation (for me).  Balance, resolution, comfort, etc.  I wear these things for 3-4 hrs a day, and I could wear them twice as long as that if possible.  I do EQ the Grado's too, but I could listen to them un'Eq'ed as well.  I couldn't listen to the PX-100's un-EQ'ed.  (And the II's and the 238's have even "worse" bass than the old 100's do, IMO.)

Bottom line: 2 different headphones with 2 different markets in mind.  But everyone's ears are different too.

I am actually thinking about buying another pair of PX-100's "just in case".

Sep 20, 2010 at 1:53 PM Post #4 of 15
I don't find the PX-100s heavy on the bass at all.  To me they have just the right amount of low end.  It is actually present and able to be followed, unlike the SR125 in which you have to strain to hear any bass lines.  I would look further up the Grado chain since I do like some air and bite to my music, but I have a feeling their overly intent focus on treble plagues all of their phones.

What a portable phone though.  They are perfect for working in my cubicle at the office.  I can't believe that sometimes I'd prefer to listen to them over a phone costing more than 6 times as much.  When I'm looking to be immersed in the fine details of music I'll pull out my open ear cans, but when I want to be lulled and sweetened up, I reach for these puppies. 

Sep 20, 2010 at 2:23 PM Post #5 of 15
All in favour of the PX100, say AYE!

I like the fact that you can get reasonably good, and at the same time, an engaging, energizing presentation from these phones. sure, you may lose some fine nuances, but that's what the home gear is for. The AKG K420 is head-to-head with the PX100, and has a similar personality. I find myself A/B 'ing between the K420 and the HD595 at home just to see how things are presented on these small wonders.

To top it off, the PX100 has that practical hard case, and you can paint them red...
biggrin.gif

Sep 20, 2010 at 2:30 PM Post #6 of 15
Aye!
They are my goto headphones for on the go. I agree they dont have too much bass. Yeah you lose some detail compared to higher end phones, but the sound is so sweet and balanced. Only problem is when I am out and about too much sound leaks in sometimes...

Sep 20, 2010 at 3:07 PM Post #8 of 15
My friend has a sennheiser PC series headset (based off the PX100 I believe). It was very good for the price, and great for gaming. I listened to music on them briefly and they are fairly balanced, but I agree with the poster that said the bass is a little hot. It dosent muddy up the mids or anything, the mids sound good. All in all, I thought they were great for $20, and the mic on the headset was clear. Great for gaming. 

Sep 20, 2010 at 3:11 PM Post #9 of 15
But the Portapro did it already....25 years ago!

I got my brother a PX100 a few years back when the price was ~$30, and it was great. VERY similar to the Portapro, but in a better format (adjustability/portability)

Sep 20, 2010 at 4:00 PM Post #10 of 15
Can anyone offer a comparison of the PX100 vs the newer PX100ii? It's hard to find the original anymore, and I wonder if the new one is worth the price bump (almost $100 for Canadians
frown.gif
)

Sep 20, 2010 at 5:46 PM Post #11 of 15
I mentioned that the PX-100 II's have more bass than the older PX-100's.  Didn't like them.  Kept the PX-100's and sold the II's.  The II's have so much bass that it *does* muddy the middle, while I mostly agree that isn't the case for the 100's.

Quote:
Yeah you lose some detail compared to higher end phones

Quote:
 Can anyone point me to a headphone that matches the PX-100s overall sound balance but increases its resolution and vigor

See, too much bass.  Without that overwhelming bass, IMO, the PX-100's *would* have more detail and resolution.  :)

Sep 20, 2010 at 6:42 PM Post #12 of 15
Sep 20, 2010 at 7:03 PM Post #13 of 15

Quote:
I mentioned that the PX-100 II's have more bass than the older PX-100's.  Didn't like them.  Kept the PX-100's and sold the II's.  The II's have so much bass that it *does* muddy the middle, while I mostly agree that isn't the case for the 100's.

See, too much bass.  Without that overwhelming bass, IMO, the PX-100's *would* have more detail and resolution.  :)

I disagree.  The HD650 have overwhelming bass and they still possess plenty of resolution.

Sep 21, 2010 at 3:26 AM Post #14 of 15

Quote:

I disagree.  The HD650 have overwhelming bass and they still possess plenty of resolution.

That doesn't change my opinion of the PX-100's.  :)

Sep 21, 2010 at 8:25 PM Post #15 of 15
I use the 100-II's for jogging and they are perfect for that. I usually listen to prog rock. I need to hear what is going on around me where I typically jog and these just flat out work for me in that environment. Haven't tried the non-II's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back