Let's Catch A Thief!! (Update: CAUGHT!)
Mar 24, 2013 at 1:41 AM Post #196 of 430
I agree that the quality is laughable and that it would be feasible for someone like Fedex to install high-def security cam systems I was just pointing out that low-def systems are still extremely common. Hopefully things like this help that to change much faster but these kinds of things have been happening all along and the majority of places are still using these crappy low quality systems. And I doubt a single Fedex location makes anywhere near what a single McDonalds does. But I digress, you make good points and you're absolutely right that it would be feasible for most medium or large businesses and would be relatively easy to setup if you know what you're doing. And with how much money is at stake in this particular situation I think TTVJ would be totally justified in complaining to Fedex about the terrible security camera footage quality. I just don't think Fedex "should be embarrassed" or that they should be boycotted when those types of systems are as common as they are.

Anyway... sorry to hijack the thread. Lets hope the perp can be tracked down.

Mar 24, 2013 at 3:06 PM Post #198 of 430
Very sad to see this happen to Todd, a great guy.

Mar 24, 2013 at 8:50 PM Post #201 of 430
Quote:
Spoke to Todd and the units on Agon are different serial #s

Unfortunate, that sounded promising for a second. :frowning2:

Mar 24, 2013 at 10:21 PM Post #202 of 430
Did he post pics of the serial numbers on Audiogon? Were the serial numbers verified by the manufacturer as legitimate? There's a chance the thief posted fake numbers to make a sale. He could be using a VPN to avoid being traced to an ip address - this would give him enough cover to try to find a buyer online who doesn't first ask for a picture of the serial numbers. The buyer ends up with stolen goods and the seller disappears like Kaiser Soze. My tinfoil hat tells me this is possible.

Mar 25, 2013 at 3:08 AM Post #204 of 430
Quote:
Sorry for you Todd, this is a really nasty blow, I hope your business will go over this.

Can't the American head-fi community mobilize and for the next two month or so make their next buys at TTVJ to help recover ? I mean don't buy extra gear, but only to help TTVJ stay in business while buying what you would have bought elsewhere anyway, in TTVJ's just to show sympathy and at least counterbalance the effects of this steal ?

In order to help Todd, this is the most sensible proposal so far.

Mar 25, 2013 at 8:47 AM Post #205 of 430
wow. I hope this guy gets caught, but the chances are really low, unless somebody here walks into this guys apartment. Nobody is going to buy expensive specialized audio hardware to flip. They are probably using it themselves or maybe even parting it out.

Mar 25, 2013 at 11:17 AM Post #206 of 430
Quote:
wow. I hope this guy gets caught, but the chances are really low, unless somebody here walks into this guys apartment. Nobody is going to buy expensive specialized audio hardware to flip. They are probably using it themselves or maybe even parting it out.

x2

Plus, if the thief plans on selling the equipment he'll probably wait quite a while for things to "cool down" before making a move on them.

Good luck but it's doubtful he'll get caught. :frowning2:

Mar 26, 2013 at 9:16 AM Post #210 of 430
Did he post pics of the serial numbers on Audiogon? Were the serial numbers verified by the manufacturer as legitimate? There's a chance the thief posted fake numbers to make a sale. He could be using a VPN to avoid being traced to an ip address - this would give him enough cover to try to find a buyer online who doesn't first ask for a picture of the serial numbers. The buyer ends up with stolen goods and the seller disappears like Kaiser Soze. My tinfoil hat tells me this is possible.

VPNs keep logs for the most part.
Unless he has some shady russian VPN.
This kind of reminds me of a story where a guy had his car stolen and 30 years later he sees it on ebay and contacts the police to finally get it back in mint condition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back