Let's Catch A Thief!! (Update: CAUGHT!)
Mar 22, 2013 at 4:29 AM Post #181 of 430
Sorry for you Todd, this is a really nasty blow, I hope your business will go over this.

Can't the American head-fi community mobilize and for the next two month or so make their next buys at TTVJ to help recover ? I mean don't buy extra gear, but only to help TTVJ stay in business while buying what you would have bought elsewhere anyway, in TTVJ's just to show sympathy and at least counterbalance the effects of this steal ?

Mar 22, 2013 at 8:16 AM Post #182 of 430
Quote:
Sorry for you Todd, this is a really nasty blow, I hope your business will go over this.

Can't the American head-fi community mobilize and for the next two month or so make their next buys at TTVJ to help recover ? I mean don't buy extra gear, but only to help TTVJ stay in business while buying what you would have bought elsewhere anyway, in TTVJ's just to show sympathy and at least counterbalance the effects of this steal ?

That's a great idea. However, as Todd ships internationally, and with the strength of the euro vs the dollar, it would make even more sense for our international members to throw their business Todd's way. Wouldn't you agree?

Mar 22, 2013 at 9:19 AM Post #183 of 430
I would say "Help Us to Identify a Thief" is a more appropriate title. Still, I'm sorry for Todd's lost and hope all people who did bad deeds get what they deserve, but the title sounds like "Let's catch the thief and vent our anger on him" to me.
What I love about head-fi is it's sanity attitude, since to describe equipment require rational thoughts, and that's what most member usually do on head-fi. I hope to see more rational reaction to this sad matter. This is just my point of view.

Mar 22, 2013 at 11:19 AM Post #184 of 430
That's a great idea. However, as Todd ships internationally, and with the strength of the euro vs the dollar, it would make even more sense for our international members to throw their business Todd's way. Wouldn't you agree?

Yes indeed, but being currently unemployed my middle name is actually more "broke" than "richie" :D
When I'll have a better situation, I'd gladly buy from Todd's shop, but my system is so good as is for the moment, all I need is just a second headphone amp for my AKG K340 vintage, but as you americans still rely on fancy 110 volts, I can't buy that kind of stuff at TTVJ :frowning2:

Mar 22, 2013 at 11:38 AM Post #185 of 430
"Can't the American head-fi community mobilize and for the next two month or so make their next buys at TTVJ to help recover ?"

You know, this does seem more constructive than wishing death by cancer on a stranger !
Good thing some people have a keener sense of restraint than others.

Mar 22, 2013 at 12:25 PM Post #186 of 430

Yes, it is a great idea, and I'll keep it in mind.

Mar 22, 2013 at 1:45 PM Post #187 of 430
Usually a fraud like this would come either from trying to gain "recognition" from a criminal community, wanting the amps for himself or he was commissioned to do this by a third party.
I once knew a few people who made thousands of dollars by scamming businesses. They would find people looking for a product, offer it to them for about 75% of the normal cost, fraud companies that are selling that product to get it then sell it to the buyer.

For that reason even if the amps are found, it most likely will not be the theif in posession of them.

I'm close to certain he would not put them on any open market.

You'd be more likely to find him bragging about this accomplishment somewhere.

Mar 22, 2013 at 1:51 PM Post #188 of 430
Quote:
Agreed, the security camera footage is useless and FedEx should be embarrassed.

Quote:
boycott Fedex!!

This is silliness.

Have you ever watched a reality crime show or documentary that showed security camera footage? Its all low res just like the Fedex footage is. It would take a LOT of disk space and a fair amount of computing power to record and store high resolution, 24/7 video from multiple security cameras. It will happen eventually but for now that's just the reality of it. Fedex is no different than the millions of other locations using the same kind of security camera equipment.

Mar 22, 2013 at 2:57 PM Post #189 of 430
Quote:

This is silliness.

Have you ever watched a reality crime show or documentary that showed security camera footage? Its all low res just like the Fedex footage is. It would take a LOT of disk space and a fair amount of computing power to record and store high resolution, 24/7 video from multiple security cameras. It will happen eventually but for now that's just the reality of it. Fedex is no different than the millions of other locations using the same kind of security camera equipment.

Spot on.

beerchug.gif

Mar 22, 2013 at 4:45 PM Post #190 of 430
Quote:

This is silliness.

That is incorrect, this is my proof.

Mar 22, 2013 at 10:03 PM Post #191 of 430
Quote:

This is silliness.

That's the truth. My old neighborhood coordinates with local police and has tons of disk space (set up professionally) for security cameras they put up after thefts were reported, but they still can't get more than a barely-identifiable blur of a human or a blob of a car.

Mar 23, 2013 at 2:52 AM Post #193 of 430
Companies like Axis, Arecont and Vivotek make HD cameras from 720 to 1080 and even over 2K video resolutions in some cases. 

Storage and camera cost does indeed go up pretty fast.  To put it in perspective a regular 640X40 image is roughly 1/6h the image size and thus 1/6th the storage of a 1080 frame.   That means every gig you needed before is now multiplied to 6gb. 

That being said with the H.264 compression now widly used in the CCTV world, you could easily get a month's recording out of 6TB of storage depending on your settings on a small camera setup using 1080 cameras. 

It is indeed true FedEx would have the wherewithal to install a better camera system but is it also true that they are not alone and the majority of security cameras out there are still recording at standard TV res or less.  Certainly nothing warranting "boycotting" them over but perhaps suggesting they do some upgrades.

Mar 23, 2013 at 11:56 AM Post #194 of 430
Quote:
ATM cameras work pretty well.  And your old neighborhood installed security cameras?

Let's just say I lived a privileged childhood.

Mar 24, 2013 at 1:22 AM Post #195 of 430
This is silliness.

Utter balderdash.

• the raw cost of storage as of this year is about a gigabyte per penny, which is what Amazon Glacier charges to store data.
  • you can buy a high-end Intel Core i7 for about three hundred bucks, which should do you just fine in terms of processing power.
  • You could use a $20 webcam and get a 720p picture, much less what a decent camera could provide.

I worked at a franchised McDonald's for about nine months, and the place had about fifteen cameras, all high-definition, probably at about 20-30FPS running at the same time. Frankly, there is no excuse for recording quality of such shameful caliber given the financial resources that FedEx likely has, especially compared to a McDonald's.

These pictures look like they were taken with a toaster.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back