Let's build Krmathis a Beta22!
Oct 24, 2008 at 2:54 PM Post #496 of 590
Really nice of Nelson Pass to bring piles of toroidal transformers and amp chassis, to be raffled away.
...and its also really great to see that people enjoyed the β22 and α22. Even if it was no surprise that they did.
biggrin.gif

Oct 24, 2008 at 4:40 PM Post #497 of 590
Quote:

Originally Posted by amphead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was one of the lucky winners of the raffle for Nelson Pass amplifier projects. It weighs about 45 lbs. and is alot of aluminum heatsink. Don't know what I will create with it yet. Here is a nice pic of the table at Burning Amp with Jrossel listening to Krmathis amp.........

And, note that is with the ghetto gender converters for the balanced cable...
tongue.gif

Oct 31, 2008 at 11:28 AM Post #498 of 590
Almost finished with the donors plaque. Here is another picture from Burning Amp of the view from the window. That's the golden gate bridge covered in fog.

golden.jpg

Nov 2, 2008 at 12:58 PM Post #499 of 590
Ron. Great to see that you do some nice progress in finishing up the β22.
This one sure will be special!
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 7, 2008 at 12:28 AM Post #500 of 590
Sorry for the delay, I have finished the design of the plaque/certificate and will be implementing it into it's physical form tomorrow. Thank you very much donors! We will never forget your generosity.

Nov 10, 2008 at 10:28 PM Post #501 of 590
Here are some RMAA test results of the amp, using an E-MU 0404 USB as the playback and recording device. The E-MU has balanced inputs and outputs which makes this test possible. Note that these results should not be directly compared with those of the 3-channel active-ground config shown at the β22 website, because an M-Audio Firewire Audiophile was used in that test, and thus the test conditions were different.

- baseline E-MU 0404 USB loopback results
- balanced β22 with 330 ohms load
- balanced β22 with 33 ohms load
- balanced β22 with 8 ohms load

The rising stereo crosstalk at the high frequencies is actually due to the E-MU 0404 USB, because it has regular analog potentiometers for setting the levels, and had to be set fairly low due to the higher gain of the β22. The low pot settings gives rise to capacitive coupling within the sound card, causing the rising stereo crosstalk graph. This is a measurement apparatus anomaly and does not reflect the actual stereo crosstalk performance of the amp.

Also, for the distortion figures and graphs, you'll note that the β22 essentially matches the baseline loopback results of the E-MU 0404 USB, therefore much of what we measured is actually the distortion of the sound card, not the amp.

Nov 11, 2008 at 4:49 AM Post #504 of 590
Quote:

Originally Posted by digger945 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you do any listening using the 0404, and if so, whatcha think?
Awesome info Ti, thank you so much, can't wait to get impressions from Kr!

Yes, I've used both the 0404 USB and a Benchmark DAC1 as the source for listening. Both are excellent, although I would give the DAC1 an edge in detail and transparency.

Nov 11, 2008 at 5:04 AM Post #505 of 590
... And a public thanks to mark_h who just made a donation to this effort. Even though the amp is built, and there is some leftover funds in the account, it is unclear whether it would completely cover the cost of shipping, insurance and VAT. Your contribution is greatly appreciated.

Nov 11, 2008 at 2:38 PM Post #506 of 590
Quote:

Originally Posted by gz76 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Krmathis, I admire your patience!
smily_headphones1.gif

I do my best to cope with it, and think I do quite well.
bigsmile_face.gif

Have to admit I am really looking forward to the day I wrap up this present though.

Nov 17, 2008 at 4:22 AM Post #507 of 590
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I do my best to cope with it, and think I do quite well.
bigsmile_face.gif

Have to admit I am really looking forward to the day I wrap up this present though.

Krmathis, I'm kinda new so I've no idea what you've done to deserve this. Probably something to do with your 19K posts ^^ Either way, I'm very impressed by all of you who contributed! Amazing. What a fantastic international community.

As for the amp itself: outrageous! I might print out some pics and stick them to the front of my META42 ehehe

Nov 17, 2008 at 5:19 AM Post #509 of 590
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was thinking it was simply a random act of kindness, which is always worthwhile donating towards.

I suppose I meant to say that Krmathis must be liked a lot
smily_headphones1.gif
It's really quite heart warming. Quite the polar opposite of xbox live- I feel like a little part of my soul dies everytime I log on to it...

Nov 17, 2008 at 5:29 AM Post #510 of 590
Quote:

Originally Posted by rogerlike /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I suppose I meant to say that Krmathis must be liked a lot
smily_headphones1.gif
It's really quite heart warming. Quite the polar opposite of xbox live- I feel like a little part of my soul dies everytime I log on to it...

Well, yeah, randomly picked out of a group of nice people.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back