Let the Drunks Drive Themselves Home, I Say ...
Aug 11, 2009 at 8:36 PM Post #108 of 119
Quote:

Originally Posted by tenzip /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe the $0.20 at issue.

I still don't understand it... let's say the taxi ride cost $39.80, and you wanted to tip $10 bringing the total to $49.80, wouldn't any sane person call it $50 and not ask for 20 cents in change?

Aug 11, 2009 at 8:37 PM Post #109 of 119
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graphicism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...wouldn't any sane person ...

Here's where you're getting hung up.

Aug 11, 2009 at 8:38 PM Post #110 of 119
There was no contract dispute. There wasn't a legal and binding contract in place. There was theft, pure and simple.

When you are not playing the game on the up and up (which the cab driver wasn't) there are different rules that are broken, maybe misdemeanor drunken or disorderly conduct charges would of been more appropriate.

To legally collect money, you have to be authorized by the cab board (which can be revoked for violations) and operating within the legal laws of the country. Without these things in place the cab driver would have no legal right to collect money, nor to hold onto it. And there would be different rules regarding a dispute about that money (which is what the cab driver's lawyer alluded to).

Aug 11, 2009 at 10:35 PM Post #111 of 119
Quote:

Originally Posted by frozenice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There was no contract dispute. There wasn't a legal and binding contract in place. There was theft, pure and simple.

When you are not playing the game on the up and up (which the cab driver wasn't) there are different rules that are broken, maybe misdemeanor drunken or disorderly conduct charges would of been more appropriate.

To legally collect money, you have to be authorized by the cab board (which can be revoked for violations) and operating within the legal laws of the country. Without these things in place the cab driver would have no legal right to collect money, nor to hold onto it. And there would be different rules regarding a dispute about that money (which is what the cab driver's lawyer alluded to).

Whether or not the local laws would allow the cab driver to charge for his services, there would still be an implicit contract.

Sorry, but even if he had ripped the guy off for $1,000, punching him in the nose would be assault "pure and simple" (even if he is drunk).

Aug 11, 2009 at 10:52 PM Post #112 of 119
I'm still bothered by the thread title (in addition to some other things). What's the point of the thread title? That people shouldn't have to be exposed to being ripped off by cab drivers, so if they're drunk, they should be allowed to drive? Or is I am misinterpreting something?
confused_face(1).gif

Aug 11, 2009 at 10:54 PM Post #113 of 119
Quote:

You've made several statements regarding the law that are simply wrong (or at the very least, misleading). I think you're a bit out of your field of expertise to be making categorical pronouncements about the civil or criminal laws that are applicable to this event.

Aug 11, 2009 at 11:47 PM Post #114 of 119
Everyone else here is making categorical comments also, but somehow you forgot to mention that. And if I'm a little more emphatic than I should be, I apologize and I will try to tone it down a touch.

As far as the title goes that was what I originally wanted to talk about but everyone else here wanted to have a group flame and that is the direction this has gone.

If you don't like my opinion, fine, it doesn't matter what I say. But what you believe should come to pass and if it doesn't, well what you believe in useless junk.

Aug 11, 2009 at 11:49 PM Post #115 of 119
Quote:

Originally Posted by sahwnfras /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I see that frozenice has a canadian stamp in his avatar, i really hope this isnt so. I expected this kind of response from an american, but a Canadian i really hope not.

That wasn't called for, there are jerks in all countries...including Canada...

Aug 11, 2009 at 11:52 PM Post #116 of 119
Quote:

As far as the title goes that was what I originally wanted to talk about . . . .

Ok, so what was the point you were trying to make?
confused_face_2.gif

Quote:

But what you believe should come to pass and if it doesn't, well what you believe in useless junk.

Huh?
confused_face_2.gif

Aug 12, 2009 at 12:40 AM Post #117 of 119
lol this thread is going nowhere

Users who are viewing this thread

Back