Let the Drunks Drive Themselves Home, I Say ...
Aug 11, 2009 at 2:55 AM Post #76 of 119
Let me tally the score:
Patrick Kane's lawyer agrees with frozenice.
Cab driver's lawyer agrees with frozenice.
Everybody here disagrees with me.

Can I also make another prediction ?

The city council of Buffalo will enact new "professional guidelines" for the taxi industry.

Aug 11, 2009 at 3:05 AM Post #77 of 119
30-helens.jpg

30 Helens Agree

Aug 11, 2009 at 3:39 AM Post #78 of 119
Quote:

Originally Posted by frozenice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Chicago Blackhawks star Patrick Kane was charged with attacking a cab driver in his hometown Sunday, a beating that police said was triggered when the driver did not have 20 cents in change to give the player and his cousin.

Both men were charged with felony robbery and misdemeanor counts of theft of services and criminal mischief. Patrick Kane pleaded not guilty in City Court on Sunday, WIVB-TV reported. It was not immediately clear when James Kane will appear in court.
- from the globeandmail.com

Here we have a model citizen, who in fact may turn out be the best American-born hockey player ever, being arrested and charged with felony robbery just because he would not accept being fleeced for nickels and dimes by a two-bit loser who has nothing better to do with his life.

My opinion is that Patrick Kane and his cousin did nothing illegal, improper yes, but illegal, no. The fact of the matter was they didn't refuse to pay the cab driver for the fare, they refused to overpay for a service that they received.

The cab driver should of known that if you choose to play these kind of fraudulent little games with drunks at 3 or 4 in the morning that sooner or later one of them would get angry and give him a slap upside the head. It was an entirely predictable outcome and one that he brought upon himself and he is not the innocent victim he is pretending to be.

I don´t understand that at all? It may be legal to abuse people on a hockey rink but in the real world no!. Being drunk is no excuse.

Aug 11, 2009 at 3:42 AM Post #79 of 119
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh the things I'd love to say, unfortunately, I'm not a complete b!tch so I'll leave my opinions of canada out of this
wink.gif

It's not my fault, thats the impression given by the american culture as a whole. Violence and guns, why does anyone need a handgun?

Aug 11, 2009 at 3:45 AM Post #81 of 119
Quote:

It's not my fault, thats the impression given by the american culture as a whole. Violence and guns, why does anyone need a handgun?

Cuz dey afraid kitty! Ever since we done in dat John Candy feller and his gang, dey thinks we gun git dem in dey sleep! But if dey wasn't so fat and drunk, dey wouldn't be nappin' all da time!

Aug 11, 2009 at 3:54 AM Post #82 of 119
Quote:

Let me tally the score:
Patrick Kane's lawyer agrees with frozenice.
Everybody here disagrees with me.

Can I also make another prediction ?

The city council of Buffalo will enact new "professional guidelines" for the taxi industry.

Heh, as usually happens, the facts show two sides. It's definitely interesting that the cabbie hired a criminal defense attorney. Of course, that doesn't mean that the attorneys agree with your original post, which stands for the premise that it should not be illegal for 2 young guys to beat up an old man for $.20 when they were not physically threatened--unless you were privy to more facts at the time you posted. Regardless, it will be interesting to see how this story develops.

Aug 11, 2009 at 4:00 AM Post #83 of 119
Quote:

The cab driver's lawyer certainly does not agree with you. He doesn't agree with the city that the case merits a Class C Felony, which carries a mandatory year in jail at minimum.

Aug 11, 2009 at 4:04 AM Post #84 of 119
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
30-helens.jpg

30 Helens Agree

My favorite 29 Helens agree its good to be on time or something then you see the last helen come into the frame

KITH ftw

Aug 11, 2009 at 4:13 AM Post #85 of 119
This is what was posted on the tsn.ca website and this is what I based my opinion on.

Whether the incident will amount to much remains to be seen. Andrew LoTempio, a lawyer for the cab driver, told WGN radio in Chicago on Monday that he thinks Sunday's incident was blown out of proportion.

"There was a dispute over the fee and it just kind of escalated from there," LoTempio told the station. "It was not really a robbery. That is probably a large distortion of what happened."

Asked if the case would end up as a felony, he said: "Absolutely not."

"I think we should be able to work things out," he added.

Aug 11, 2009 at 4:23 AM Post #86 of 119
Quote:

This is what was posted on the tsn.ca website and this is what I based my opinion on.

Whether the incident will amount to much remains to be seen. Andrew LoTempio, a lawyer for the cab driver, told WGN radio in Chicago on Monday that he thinks Sunday's incident was blown out of proportion.

"There was a dispute over the fee and it just kind of escalated from there," LoTempio told the station. "It was not really a robbery. That is probably a large distortion of what happened."

Asked if the case would end up as a felony, he said: "Absolutely not."

"I think we should be able to work things out," he added.

That last line from the cabbie's lawyer tells me that they are going to sue and expect a cash settlement in exchange for not pressing charges. Or am I just reading into it too much?

Aug 11, 2009 at 4:25 AM Post #87 of 119
Quote:

Originally Posted by acidbasement /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That last line from the cabbie's lawyer tells me that they are going to sue and expect a cash settlement in exchange for not pressing charges. Or am I just reading into it too much?

I think that's a pretty fair assessment.

Aug 11, 2009 at 4:56 AM Post #88 of 119
Quote:

Originally Posted by sahwnfras /img/forum/go_quote.gif

clearly this is not worth my time, but I'd suggest you know what you're talking about before opening your mouth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back