Less Than $500?
Mar 26, 2011 at 2:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

RiDeC58

New Head-Fier
I am looking for opinions/recommendations on the best Headphone Amps available for less than $500.  Any thoughts/personal personal opinions?  Thanks.

Mar 26, 2011 at 4:13 PM Post #2 of 19
Are You looking for portable, home, what type of phone's will You be using, setup (computer, componet's)? mind boggling isn't it
confused_face(1).gif
. These are a few thing's You need to consider, just don't blow a gasket. 
atsmile.gif

Mar 26, 2011 at 4:37 PM Post #3 of 19

Thanks Frankie, I should have given more info.  I have been a bit of an Audiophile for many years, but I am new to Head-Fi (both the Forum and the Hobby).  I am looking for a home headphone amp to compliment my stereo system which has no headphone capability.  I have an old pair of KLH Studio Phones left over from the late 70s.  I recently bought a pair of RE262s and will be picking up some ner Headphones in the near future--likely a pair of mid-priced Grados.   I need to connect by line-level RCA jack from my stereo pre-amp.

I do not need DAC or any computer/IPOD related features.

I hope this helps.  Thank you for getting my to clarify my needs.

Mar 26, 2011 at 5:05 PM Post #4 of 19
I do understand, it's been a long time for Me also. If You are looking at tube amp's the Shiit Lyr $449.00, no joke (Shiit Audio) might be a nice fit or check out the home page on this site and read SkyLabs 29 tube amp review. You could also look under the Head Gear sight under amp's and do some research there. Since Your older Audiophiler You could also contact some of the senior  member's like SkyLab and bounce some ideas off them I'm more than positive they can help You there. You are going to Love this site just like I do! 
beerchug.gif

Mar 26, 2011 at 6:04 PM Post #5 of 19
The Schiit models are always a good choice (all of them). Another good choice are Matrix's models. Scroll down for the obscenely big megathread on the M-Stage. At about $260, it's absolutely fantastic.

Apr 7, 2011 at 12:03 PM Post #9 of 19
Speaking of the Shiit (also excuse me!) Asgard or the Matrix M-Stage... will either or both of these drive the planar phones? I just received the HiFiMan HE-5LE yesterday, and I'm currently using my Little Dot Mk III to break it in, but I understand these need current. So, does the Asgard and M-Stage produce the current necessary to get the potential that lies in the HE-5LE? I feel sure the Lyr would fill the bill, but they are backordered until probably next month sometime.

Could I get some good observation here? I also would not like to spend over $500.

Apr 8, 2011 at 1:04 AM Post #11 of 19
@Skooks - I'd give your LD some time before you run out to get an amp just for the HE-5LE's.  They are a lot easier to drive than the HE-6's.  I'm not saying that they won't benefit from some power, but I've been surprised at how well my LD I+ and Gilmote Lite have done driving them.  The Woo 6SE handles them with ease. 

Back to the OP, both the LD I+ and the Gilmore Lite (you'd have to find one used) are great with Grados.  I've used them both with my RE-262's as well with great results.  With your budget you've got a lot of options!  As Frankie K points out there is a lot of great threads here to get some impressions of different gear.  Enjoy.

Apr 9, 2011 at 3:26 AM Post #15 of 19
I've heard the LCD-2 from both the Lyr and the Dynalo - definitely preferred the latter by quite a margin 

note, however, that I heard the Lyr during a meet, so the conditions were not ideal.  however, I did do the comparison with the dynalo at that same meet, on top of owning one, so the comparison does have a bit of validity to it. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back