Lehmann Black Cube Linear?
Dec 28, 2010 at 5:47 AM Post #32 of 55

Quote:
BCL brings very controlled bass to the HD800. IMO, it does not smooth/warm up the sound, that's what's great about it. It's very neutral so you get what you put in. I like it so much I want to buy another for my bedside system.

I got a decent deal on mine. Paid $976 delivered, new.

So is it a bright sound to you, harsh in any way?

Dec 28, 2010 at 7:51 AM Post #33 of 55
IMO Sen paired the HD800 with the BCL to maximise very quick initial WOW factors by emphasising detail and speed.  Whilst good for a quick wow factor, I felt is less than ideal for true, relaxed long term listening.

The BCL whilst never harsh, and indeed is very smooth, borders on the analytical side, which is generally the trait with professional studio orientated gear.  I honestly believe that there is better synergy to be had with the HD800s and a more relaxed, warmer and easier going amplifier.

Dec 28, 2010 at 10:04 AM Post #35 of 55

Quote:
I am very interested why anyone spend this sort of money wouldn't be looking for a balanced amp option?

The HD800s sound way better balanced as I am sure most competent headphones do.

Why wouldn't someone looking at spending this amount be looking at balanced options?

Regards

Macrog

Because going balanced will cost me more money modding the headphones.  Besides, I want to hear the headphone at it's designed state.

Dec 28, 2010 at 10:07 AM Post #36 of 55

Quote:
IMO Sen paired the HD800 with the BCL to maximise very quick initial WOW factors by emphasising detail and speed.  Whilst good for a quick wow factor, I felt is less than ideal for true, relaxed long term listening.

The BCL whilst never harsh, and indeed is very smooth, borders on the analytical side, which is generally the trait with professional studio orientated gear.  I honestly believe that there is better synergy to be had with the HD800s and a more relaxed, warmer and easier going amplifier.

I agree with your findings.  I kinda like an amp that way because I can use all types of headphones with worrying about how the amp would change the sound characteristic.

Dec 28, 2010 at 10:57 AM Post #37 of 55

Quote:
Is there an amp (solid state) in the same price range that you find more ideal? 

Unfortunately the BCL is the only solid state amp I have that is advanced enough to showcase the HD800s raw speed.  From other members, I get the impression that the B22 synergises well, however they're a DIY proposition and obtaining one already built may prove difficult.  I do have an Audio GD Phoenix balanced amp on order and can provide feedback with how that is compared to the BCL when it arrives, the HD800s are easy to balance.

Just as important with the HD800s is the source, and I can't stress this enough...(PM me if you're unsure of source)

Otherwise the Burson Audio headamp gets rave reviews for its beefy sound...something that should work well with the HD800.

On the budget side I recently heard the Schiit Asgard and I believe this should be a good match, like wise the Matrix M stage is a BCL clone which is said to be significantly warmer than the genuine BCL....both these can be had for under $280.

Dec 28, 2010 at 11:33 AM Post #38 of 55
A future setup would be a media server such as the Naim NDX (since i'm using Spotify Premium service) connected to a more powerful headphone amp than the fiio E9, which will be my start-off if purchasing the HD 800. The only thing that would prevent me from buying the HD 800 is if they're inadequate to satisfy me when it comes to movies. Hopefully, this will be answered this week. 

Thanx for a good answer btw.

Jan 20, 2011 at 1:10 PM Post #39 of 55
Lan647, did you buy the LBCL in the end?

SP Wild, have you compared the use of the DAC Magic with your Ref 7 paired with the LBCL?
I'm starting to think mine isn't sourced well enough.
My DAC was £750 new but it's 10 years old now and, although I haven't A/Bd it, I wouldn't bet on it being too much better than the DACMagic.
Unfortunately, all my local dealers don't stock high quality DACs so there's little chance of an audition any time soon.

Apologies for the 20 day bump but I thought it better than to start a new thread.

Jan 21, 2011 at 12:02 AM Post #41 of 55
I am quite pleased with my HD800 and Lehmann set-up. I've been thinking of adding Woo tube amp for a alternate warm and fuzzy sound.   Man, this headphone hobby can get expensive. but it is crazy fun.

Jan 22, 2011 at 12:37 AM Post #42 of 55
After my last post about trying the Woo,  I decided to route the pre-out of my McIntosh C220 with NOS Telefunken 12AX7  into the Lehmann.  The highs are reduced a bit and the vocals took on a lush full warm tone.  There it was, the McIntosh sound signature on the HD800s.  

Since the built-in headphone circuit  on the C220 is an op-amp and not routed through the Telefunkens, this is the first time I have really heard my C220 through phones.  Think I will leave it this way for awhile and work my way through my music collection, maybe roll some other 12AX7s, pour a nice beverage and enjoy the music.

Jan 22, 2011 at 10:01 AM Post #43 of 55
Nice, so what's your favourite combo for sourcing the LBCL?

Jan 22, 2011 at 7:34 PM Post #44 of 55

Quote:
Lan647, did you buy the LBCL in the end?

SP Wild, have you compared the use of the DAC Magic with your Ref 7 paired with the LBCL?
I'm starting to think mine isn't sourced well enough.
My DAC was £750 new but it's 10 years old now and, although I haven't A/Bd it, I wouldn't bet on it being too much better than the DACMagic.
Unfortunately, all my local dealers don't stock high quality DACs so there's little chance of an audition any time soon.

Apologies for the 20 day bump but I thought it better than to start a new thread.

I don't know what dac you're using, but I think whether or not it is worth upgrading from the dacmagic to a hi-end source depends heavily on your headphone.  With my HD650s and K701s, The returns on investing in a hi-end DACs was minimal and I believed that hi-end dacs were ridiculously not worthwhile.  However ever since listening ti hi-end cans like HD800, LCD2, T1 or STAX etc, the value of hi-end sources reveals itself as a absolute necessary upgrade to exploit the full capabilities of new benchmark hi end components.  Basically I can't actually recommend a hi-end source to anybody unless they have a hi-end can...and with a hi-end can, a hi-end source is a must.

Also now that I finally have another hi-end solid state amplifier to compare to the BCL, I must say...the BCL is a fine amplifier with no grain, very smooth very fast and very detailed.  The signature, I believe is typical pro gear signature as in it is geared for detail retrieval and exposing noise floors on recordings to pick out errors...meaning that it has a slight uppermid, treble emphasis.

Jan 23, 2011 at 3:40 PM Post #45 of 55

Quote:
Also now that I finally have another hi-end solid state amplifier to compare to the BCL, I must say...the BCL is a fine amplifier with no grain, very smooth very fast and very detailed.  The signature, I believe is typical pro gear signature as in it is geared for detail retrieval and exposing noise floors on recordings to pick out errors...meaning that it has a slight uppermid, treble emphasis.

x2

Quote:
I don't know what dac you're using, but I think whether or not it is worth upgrading from the dacmagic to a hi-end source depends heavily on your headphone.  With my HD650s and K701s, The returns on investing in a hi-end DACs was minimal and I believed that hi-end dacs were ridiculously not worthwhile.  However ever since listening ti hi-end cans like HD800, LCD2, T1 or STAX etc, the value of hi-end sources reveals itself as a absolute necessary upgrade to exploit the full capabilities of new benchmark hi end components.  Basically I can't actually recommend a hi-end source to anybody unless they have a hi-end can...and with a hi-end can, a hi-end source is a must.

Well, I only really use my HD600s and DT880/600s and although I find the DT880/LBCL combo to be very revealing, I'll probably take your advice and stave off the DAC upgrade. 
TBH, I think my next purchase will be a nice high end power amp so I can use the LBCL's preamp to drive my speakers. Neither of my IntAmps have a pre-in so that functionality has remained untapped. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back