Lehmann BCL vs Schiit Lyr for Audeze LCD-2
May 28, 2012 at 10:07 AM Post #16 of 23
Quote:
Don't pick BCL. Weak and distorted.

If your Black Cube Linear sounds weak and distorted with your LCD-2, I would suspect your amp may be defective.  I find that the BCL drives the LCD-2 very well.

May 29, 2012 at 12:27 AM Post #17 of 23
Quote:
Yeah, the Lyr seems to enhance dynamics more than the BCL, whereas the BCL is more of a neutral amp.  To these ears, the LCD-2 benefits from that coloration whereas the 3 doesn't.  This is going off memory as I haven't used the Lyr in about 2 weeks now, but I did switch between the 2 several times when it was in use, so I'm fairly confident in this preference. 

Thanks driver 8.  Did you mean Dynamic = attack? punch?

Quote:
Lyr is good, but not the most neutral and transparent amp. I like it with GE tubes, but there's a bit of smearing of details going on. (haven't heard it with LCD-2)

What kind of coloration are you referring to?  bass slam?

May 29, 2012 at 8:43 AM Post #19 of 23
Quote:

Thanks driver 8.  Did you mean Dynamic = attack? punch?

I usually think of it as a combination of bass slam and treble sparkle (which I guess is a byproduct of attack?).  Please tell me if that's not what the term is usually referring to, though.  Despite my join date and above average collection I'm somewhat new to actually posting here which is why I'm not always comfortable making comparisons when people ask me to; I seldom think my impressions are matured unless the gear's just radically different or it's one of a handful of headphones I've used over an extended period of time.

May 29, 2012 at 12:14 PM Post #20 of 23
^ I guess that's ok. Everybody has their own 'variance' in describing sound. I just want to make sure I get the right message.

You know, 'dynamic' can mean a few things, while 'bass slam' or treble sparkle can only mean one thing :)

Do you hear some noise from the Lyr when you adjust the volume? I heard it from the demo Lyr in the shop where I tried it.
I dont hear any noise from BCL at all.

May 31, 2012 at 10:17 PM Post #21 of 23
There is actually a new Linear SE but it isn't available in the states yet. I expect it will be $2,000+.

Jul 11, 2012 at 12:30 AM Post #23 of 23
Anyone interested in the Linear should check out the new Bryston as an alternative I think it is better overall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back